Why become a member? ×

How Can You Justify Spending £5,350 on a New Bass??

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='753398' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:41 PM']Well, sorry, but it's attitude and debate that have elevated us from the stone age mate. You're having a crack at my thread, or me, you are not living and letting live are you.

Perhaps you are happy to let Mugabe live. Who knows? I just find your attitude today a bit arsey and not conducive to healthy debate. Normally I admire you greatly, today you are sounding a bit, well ..[/quote]

As I said, it's a strange irony that in trying to "live and let live" you can get the hump at people not doing which effectively puts you in the same place. One of life's more trying paradoxes. What annoyed me about aspects of this thread (and some other recent ones) isn't that you can't understand why someone would spend that much, but the implication in several posts that there is something wrong with people who are happy to pay that amount of money for something they like, which doesn't come across to me as "healthy debate".

Mugabe? Not quite the same as spending £5k on a GUS, really. :rolleyes: I think Toasted would have something to say about that sort of argument......

As for being a bit arsey, well I have had facial neuralgia for over 3 months now so maybe my patience has worn a bit thin. I'd happily pay £5k to get rid of that. :)

[quote name='4000' post='753616' date='Feb 22 2010, 11:33 AM']As I said, it's a strange irony that in trying to "live and let live" you can get the hump at people not doing which effectively puts you in the same place. One of life's more trying paradoxes. What annoyed me about aspects of this thread (and some other recent ones) isn't that you can't understand why someone would spend that much, but the implication in several posts that there is something wrong with people who are happy to pay that amount of money for something they like, which doesn't come across to me as "healthy debate".

Mugabe? Not quite the same as spending £5k on a GUS, really. :rolleyes: I think Toasted would have something to say about that sort of argument......

As for being a bit arsey, well I have had facial neuralgia for over 3 months now so maybe my patience has worn a bit thin. I'd happily pay £5k to get rid of that. :)[/quote]
Three things ..

Just because I word things in a slightly provocative manner does not mean I am being negative, and the implication that "there is something wrong with people who are happy to pay that amount of money for something they like" was just a bit of banter.

You said, live and let live, I used the Mugabe reference in relation to that. Nothing to do with spending £5k on a GUS.

I am terribly sorry you have facial neuralgia, that must be a real pisser. You'll probably find most of us have something wrong with us, or have some emotional stresses. I myself have have had ectopic eczema since birth (bad enough to have been studied by the Royal Free) and have just developed dry eye syndrome which is rather annoying. There are things that make up for these things, like buying an Oly White and dark tort vintage Fender Jazz or being in posession of a monster penis.

If you want it, can afford it, then buy it.

If not. Don't.

Simple as.

What is the problem?

You can buy a Warwick Corvette $$ and have some money spare but you still won't have the Gus. If you have got your heart set on a Gus and you must have it, then pay your money. If not, then don't. Don't criticise those that do spend the money. This whole episode reminds me of the discussion where my GB was brought into question (following the 5 string "exotic" shoot out in BGM) - Adrian Ashton stated that he could have bought two of the competition and had a holiday to boot... but at the end of the day, he still wouldn't have had the GB. And if somebody wanted that GB, they pay their money. If they don't, they keep their wallet closed. Why can't people understand this concept?

You wouldn't go into a Ferrari dealer and question their prices. You have to accept that in order to buy the car in question, you pay what it says on the pricetag.

As for the comment about this being an instrument for top end players. It's not. I would hazard a guess that the majority of people who buy such valuable instruments are the general public who are the doctors, lawyers, barristers etc of the world.

As urb says, get into the double bass world and see how much 5k would get you.

Edited by EBS_freak

People spend £5000 on a car to get to and from gigs and that car will be worth nothing in 10 years time, possibly 5. After 30 years, this bass could be worth more in real terms and certainly won't have lost that much value. If you're a professional and it helps you do your job, there is nothing wrong with the price.

Personally I hate the thing but I have nothing against hand crafted high end basses.

[quote name='2wheeler' post='753806' date='Feb 22 2010, 01:50 PM']People spend £5000 on a car to get to and from gigs and that car will be worth nothing in 10 years time, possibly 5. After 30 years, this bass could be worth more in real terms and certainly won't have lost that much value. If you're a professional and it helps you do your job, there is nothing wrong with the price.

Personally I hate the thing but I have nothing against hand crafted high end basses.[/quote]

Even if you aren't professional, there is nothing wrong with the price. You don't have to buy it...

[quote name='silddx' post='753635' date='Feb 22 2010, 11:54 AM']Three things ..

Just because I word things in a slightly provocative manner does not mean I am being negative, and the implication that "there is something wrong with people who are happy to pay that amount of money for something they like" was just a bit of banter.

You said, live and let live, I used the Mugabe reference in relation to that. Nothing to do with spending £5k on a GUS.

I am terribly sorry you have facial neuralgia, that must be a real pisser. You'll probably find most of us have something wrong with us, or have some emotional stresses. I myself have have had ectopic eczema since birth (bad enough to have been studied by the Royal Free) and have just developed dry eye syndrome which is rather annoying. There are things that make up for these things, like buying an Oly White and dark tort vintage Fender Jazz [size=6]or being in posession of a monster penis[/size].[/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol:
Is it on loan from someone or did you pinch it.

[quote name='silddx' post='753635' date='Feb 22 2010, 11:54 AM']Three things ..

I am terribly sorry you have facial neuralgia, that must be a real pisser. You'll probably find most of us have something wrong with us, or have some emotional stresses. I myself have have had ectopic eczema since birth (bad enough to have been studied by the Royal Free) and have just developed dry eye syndrome which is rather annoying. There are things that make up for these things, like buying an Oly White and dark tort vintage Fender Jazz or being in posession of a monster penis.[/quote]

Maybe any tongue-in-cheekness doesn't come across (to me at least) in writing, if there is some there. Either way I tend not to be someone who sees the point in wording things provocatively simply because I have no wish to be knowingly provocative. To me it's pointless. If it's not to you, then we simply have a difference in how we like to approach things. To me it's a trait based in negativity; maybe you feel otherwise. Maybe part of the problem is that every day I come into contact with people who think there is something wrong with "person x" and they actually mean it, which is why I don't like to see it in places I come for relaxation and positivity. That's maybe a personal issue.

I used the term live and let live as a reference to respecting the rights of others to differ from yourself, but you know that. The implication of your Mugabe comment was directly related to my opinions on the topic under discussion. FWIW, many people seem to think that if you respect a person's right to have a different opinion to your own then you effectively don't have an opinion of your own and are therefore sitting on the fence. This isn't the case. Saying "I don't like bass (a) but others might, it's just my opinion" isn't sitting on the fence. You've expressed an opinion, but have qualified it. Its not negative or aggressive. To say "bass (a) is crap and people who like it are wrong "is both negative and aggressive.

The line about the neuralgia (although true and actually not helping my mood) was a joke. Geddit? See, it works both ways. And of course I'm aware many of us have something wrong with us, I used to work in the NHS. :) Sorry to hear about your issues BTW.

I do have a monster penis though. Its in a jar in the shed. :rolleyes:

One thing I should add is that I studied fine art. The cost of materials and labour bear no relation to the cost of the finished product in art, and that's the way I think with regards to high-end guitars. Like EBS freak says, if you don't like, it don't buy it.

[quote name='2wheeler' post='753806' date='Feb 22 2010, 01:50 PM']People spend £5000 on a car to get to and from gigs and that car will be worth nothing in 10 years time, possibly 5. After 30 years, this bass could be worth more in real terms and certainly won't have lost that much value. If you're a professional and it helps you do your job, there is nothing wrong with the price.[/quote]

For me,the car thing is a really bad analogy.A car is an important part of your gigging equipment.
As I've said in the past you could drop a fortune on an instrument if you want,but it's useless if you
can't get to the gig.
As far as being professional and helping you do your job,again for me that's not a good argument. I totally
understand wanting a good instrument,but if you are looking at the instrument to help your playing,something
is wrong.

I said in a similar thread ages ago,if you feel more confident and inspired by dropping a fortune on a bass,then
do so,but I believe that what you do is more important than than the instrument itself.

[quote name='Marvin' post='753458' date='Feb 22 2010, 06:09 AM']Live and let live is akin to continually sitting on that fence, which becomes ultimately very painful.[/quote]
A debate is like a fine chocolate truffle which requires both sugar and salt. 'Live and let live' is the sugar. The robustness with which one advances one's position is the salt. Too much of either and it is a poor truffle.

Personally, I incline towards tolerance with an almost psychopathic obsession. Next year's Nobel peace prize [i]will[/i] be mine and I don't care who I have to kill to get it.

[quote name='4000' post='753842' date='Feb 22 2010, 02:11 PM']Maybe any tongue-in-cheekness doesn't come across (to me at least) in writing, if there is some there. Either way I tend not to be someone who sees the point in wording things provocatively simply because I have no wish to be knowingly provocative. To me it's pointless. If it's not to you, then we simply have a difference in how we like to approach things. To me it's a trait based in negativity; maybe you feel otherwise. Maybe part of the problem is that every day I come into contact with people who think there is something wrong with "person x" and they actually mean it, which is why I don't like to see it in places I come for relaxation and positivity. That's maybe a personal issue.

I used the term live and let live as a reference to respecting the rights of others to differ from yourself, but you know that. The implication of your Mugabe comment was directly related to my opinions on the topic under discussion. FWIW, many people seem to think that if you respect a person's right to have a different opinion to your own then you effectively don't have an opinion of your own and are therefore sitting on the fence. This isn't the case. Saying "I don't like bass (a) but others might, it's just my opinion" isn't sitting on the fence. You've expressed an opinion, but have qualified it. Its not negative or aggressive. To say "bass (a) is crap and people who like it are wrong "is both negative and aggressive.

The line about the neuralgia (although true and actually not helping my mood) was a joke. Geddit? See, it works both ways. And of course I'm aware many of us have something wrong with us, I used to work in the NHS. :rolleyes: Sorry to hear about your issues BTW.

I do have a monster penis though. Its in a jar in the shed. :lol:[/quote]
:)

But this is a forum, we should be learning from eachother's experiences, insight, and knowledge. Sometimes one has to provoke discussion. If I have an opinion, it does not mean it can't be changed. But to post "Mmm, that Gus G3 looks a bit strange, and it is rather expensive, would you buy one, Dear? I don't think I would either. More tea?" isn't really going to be much of a thread is it? There's been some good discussion going on with some excellent points being made in interesting ways, even the way it has this sub-thread going on is interesting.

Cheers,
N

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='753901' date='Feb 22 2010, 03:01 PM']A debate is like a fine chocolate truffle which requires both sugar and salt. 'Live and let live' is the sugar. The robustness with which one advances one's position is the salt. Too much of either and it is a poor truffle.

Personally, I incline towards tolerance with an almost psychopathic obsession. Next year's Nobel peace prize [i]will[/i] be mine and I don't care who I have to kill to get it.[/quote]
:lol:

I tend to veer widely from sugar and then to salt. Suffice to say my truffles do not taste very nice
I go from being very tolerant to verging on being a disciple of Trotsky and questioning everything, there must be permanent revolution. :)
I'm in a salty mood today :rolleyes:

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='753915' date='Feb 22 2010, 03:16 PM']:lol:

I tend to veer widely from sugar and then to salt. Suffice to say my truffles do not taste very nice
I go from being very tolerant to verging on being a disciple of Trotsky and questioning everything, there must be permanent revolution. :)
I'm in a salty mood today :rolleyes:[/quote]
I thought you were in a cheesy mood?

Going off at a (very slight) tangent, I was in Denmark Street at lunchtime collecting a bass from my regular luthier. He'd just been handed a Gibson Custom Shop 'Vine' to repair - basically it's a J200 with lots of pretty bits.

It was brand new, but had been poorly finished, so poorly that the bridge was in danger of falling off.

It looked kinda purdy, and it sure sounded nice. I asked him how much it cost.

£6000.

[quote name='Toasted' post='753961' date='Feb 22 2010, 03:49 PM']I earned the money and owning, playing and performing with expensive bass gear makes me happy.[/quote]

I've tried to keep out of this one but couldn't help myself in the end.

Basically it's like 'Toasted' said. If you have the money and you're happy to spend £X,000 on an instrument you need not justify your purchase to anyone but yourself. Whether you're amateur, professional or whatever you class yourself as makes no difference. Whether you're the best or worst player makes no difference, it's you money, do with it what you will.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much out for an instrument, but it's certainly not my place to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't spend their money on and if they're happy and enjoy owning such an instrument, good for them.

[quote name='silddx' post='753904' date='Feb 22 2010, 03:04 PM']:)

But this is a forum, we should be learning from eachother's experiences, insight, and knowledge. Sometimes one has to provoke discussion. If I have an opinion, it does not mean it can't be changed. But to post "Mmm, that Gus G3 looks a bit strange, and it is rather expensive, would you buy one, Dear? I don't think I would either. More tea?" isn't really going to be much of a thread is it? There's been some good discussion going on with some excellent points being made in interesting ways, even the way it has this sub-thread going on is interesting.

Cheers,
N[/quote]

You see I'd much prefer the "more tea?" approach, which I personally think works fine. As long as there were crumpets too, with lashings of butter.