Why become a member? ×

Slappers!

BottomEndian

I'm looking at the rudiments of slap technique. I'll probably never use it in a band context, but it might come in handy one day.

So I've been looking at various resources, talking to people and all that, and it seems that there are two schools of thought as to what to do with your thumb when you slap:
[list=1]
[*]Flick it onto the string and bounce it straight off again, back to where it started
[*]Flick it sort of [i]across[/i] the string so it follows through and comes to rest on the next string
[/list]I understand the second option comes in handy when you get into the world of double-thumbing (or double-thumping or whatever it's called), but that's a long way off yet. I've also noticed that Stu Hamm recommends it in his BGM column this month.

So which do you do? And if you'd care to elaborate, why do you do it?

Edited by BottomEndian

I use the double thumb/follow through technique- I find it both more intuitive and easier to apply in a groove than the standard slap and pop technique. To be honest double thumbing is not that difficult IMO- once you understand the principle (and it sounds like you do) it's just a matter of gaining speed with it.

My default is to bounce off and return so you need decent speed if you don't want to triplet all the time.
I have always done this so stick with it, but ghammer, slap, pluck over an octave is a useful style as well.
You can make that hammer, slap, slap, pluck as well and even hammer up, hammer down ( double thump ) slap, slap and pluck.

I really like a fast double thumb which almost slurs the notes as the thumb doesn't really attack the strings..or you can use the nail to give it more edge.

Stu Hamm is all about fast edgy slapping which is ok if that is your thing.
Miller plays grooves ..or did before he got his solo thing going. There are many records with him as a sideman that pretty much wrote that book.
I like Randy Jackson, Readdy Freddie and Wooten can sound great if his double thumping isn't done to death...
Alain Caron has an interesting slant, IMO..

All those guys have different takes on slapping and make it work...IMO

I use both techniques depending on what I'm after. I tend to bounce for more aggressive,
triplet type things-where I do to thumps and a pluck. I also think that each note has more
definition and consistency when you bounce. I go 'through' the string if I need more speed
as it facilitates double thumbing,and I find the motion more relaxing.
Usually I use kind of a hybrid of the two.

[quote name='Doddy' post='751867' date='Feb 20 2010, 03:49 PM']I use both techniques depending on what I'm after. I tend to bounce for more aggressive,
triplet type things-where I do to thumps and a pluck. I also think that each note has more
definition and consistency when you bounce. I go 'through' the string if I need more speed
as it facilitates double thumbing,and I find the motion more relaxing.
Usually I use kind of a hybrid of the two.[/quote]

Slappers? You should know... :)

Just a quick post from me - I would say it depends on what is coming up in the line and where I need to be in order to execute the phrase efficiently. Another question you could ask is whether or not players are 'thumb up' (Like Mark King, for example) or 'thumb down' (Fieldy, as an extreme example). Again, for me I have my bass in a position that I can execute either way, as I find some lines easier in a different position.

[quote name='dood' post='752321' date='Feb 20 2010, 11:15 PM']Another question you could ask is whether or not players are 'thumb up' (Like Mark King, for example) or 'thumb down' (Fieldy, as an extreme example).[/quote]
Question added!

I haven't enabled multiple-choice, because I guess people will have a preferred style, even if they can use more than one.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='752302' date='Feb 20 2010, 10:46 PM']I've added the "can't slap, won't slap" option for... well, those who can't slap and won't slap.[/quote]

Yeah but it won't let you vote without also choosing which direction the thumb you're not using is pointing lol

[quote name='Marvin' post='752248' date='Feb 20 2010, 09:39 PM']Slappers? Bounce off? Follow through? I've never read such filth. :)[/quote]
I was gonna say tha.........oh bugg@r it... what he said.
mind you, an old "bluesey" mate of mine used to say"one slap deserves another"

but err...hope to never "follow through" while playing guitar!

[quote name='MythSte' post='753330' date='Feb 21 2010, 10:33 PM']heh, oh dear...

Im the same as most - that being a bounce off unless im double thumbimg (or trying to, Ive only started learning recently!)

However i always slap thumb down, even though i wear my bass unfashionably high. Just feels more natural for me![/quote]

How do you double thumb with a thumb down technique? I'd always struggled with it that way as i'm a thumb-downer too

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='753353' date='Feb 21 2010, 10:59 PM']How do you double thumb with a thumb down technique? I'd always struggled with it that way as i'm a thumb-downer too[/quote]

I cant and dont. Its thumb up with double thumbing, which i think is half the problem :)

Being an ancient bass player I was slapping before I realised anyone was any good at it and saw how to do it properly, so I'm thumb down and paying for the bad habit. In my opinion, its better to be thumbs parallel Larry Graham style. Next best is Mark King style (have to have a short strap for that though).

Parallel eases the double thumb think I struggle with but also makes the 'pop' easiest. Thumb down has its limitations which, for me at least, are way short of those who wisely chose to go parallel or up.

Here's a good example of parallel with double, or upward at least, thumb strokes.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSq__vg7Gs&feature=fvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSq__vg7Gs&feature=fvw[/url]

[quote name='4 Strings' post='753745' date='Feb 22 2010, 01:04 PM']Being an ancient bass player I was slapping before I realised anyone was any good at it and saw how to do it properly, so I'm thumb down and paying for the bad habit. In my opinion, its better to be thumbs parallel Larry Graham style. Next best is Mark King style (have to have a short strap for that though).

Parallel eases the double thumb think I struggle with but also makes the 'pop' easiest. Thumb down has its limitations which, for me at least, are way short of those who wisely chose to go parallel or up.

Here's a good example of parallel with double, or upward at least, thumb strokes.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSq__vg7Gs&feature=fvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSq__vg7Gs&feature=fvw[/url][/quote]

Being in the thumb down boat has meant that ive adapted my whole hand shape to suit popping, relying on a sort of pivoting action (imagine your hands in a 'tigers claw' position and twist side to side) and i cant for the life of me get my hand to pop smoothly when thumb up or parallel. Back to the drawing board methinks...

I'm quite astonished (only quite, though :) ) at the way "thumb up" is winning. I hadn't even considered it as a sensible option for slapping. You've got to have a [b]seriously[/b] short strap to pull that off, surely? Is it just that Basschat's littered with Mark King wannabes?

Edited by BottomEndian