Why become a member? ×

Slappers!

BottomEndian

[quote name='MythSte' post='756543' date='Feb 24 2010, 09:56 PM']Im not bad at slapping in general, Its just a really odd rhythm in that section. We cover the song occasionally for fun and i can get through it without to much hassle but it'd be nice to play it right! I think doddy was right, i need to control my thumb bouncing perhaps![/quote]

This might be of use: [url="http://www.lucaspickford.com/transpegbass.htm"]http://www.lucaspickford.com/transpegbass.htm[/url]

I've heard the story about turning his back so no-one could see him slap from himself, Youtube I think.

[quote name='Doddy' post='757790' date='Feb 26 2010, 01:37 AM']Marcus Miller didn't play on Aja...... Walter Becker played on 'Deacon Blues' and the rest was Chuck Rainey. In
fact,I don't think he played on any Steely Dan album-although he played on a few tracks on Donald Fagan's
awesome 'Nightfly' album[/quote]

As did one of my other faves, the joyous Abraham Laboriel. Love that man!

hmmm Miller never played a track on the SD albums..???

I thought I saw him credited just the once, but come to think of it, I might be getting crosswired with a Chaka Kham favourite of that time. If so, apologies..
He was on everything at that time in that genre...so it was a surprise to see anything come out of NY without him somewhere on the record. Maybe that is where my confusion lies..???

FWIW, Rainey sounds pretty rough out of the track, IMV, when demoing his Peg part, IIRC on the 'making of Aja film.. but nails it in the mix... for sure.

On the live album, with Tom Barney, he plays it more conventionally and that works too..
It is probably a pretty iconic bass part, IMO.

Edited by JTUK