Why become a member? ×

Novice, Intermediate, Bloody Good or Something a Little Bit Special?

mgibson

I was just going to ask what tunes people thought where in the skill brackets of, someone who had just started, someone who had got to intermediate level, someone who was really good, i.e. could be a pro/semi-pro player, or someone who if you heard it would really drop your jaw and make your day?

Novice - some James Jamerson stuff (Can't Hurry Love, Get Ready, My Guy)
Intermediate - some James Jamerson stuff (What's Going On, Heard It Through The Grapevine)
Bloody Good - some James Jamerson stuff (Ain't Too Proud To Beg, How Long Has That Evening Traini Been Gone)
Something a Little Bit Special - some James Jamerson stuff (live version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough, I'm Gonna Make You Love Me)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='750585' date='Feb 19 2010, 10:02 AM']Novice - some James Jamerson stuff (Can't Hurry Love, Get Ready, My Guy)
Intermediate - some James Jamerson stuff (What's Going On, Heard It Through The Grapevine)
Bloody Good - some James Jamerson stuff (Ain't Too Proud To Beg, How Long Has That Evening Traini Been Gone)
Something a Little Bit Special - some James Jamerson stuff (live version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough, I'm Gonna Make You Love Me)[/quote]
Woohoo! I'm intermediate! Where does "Bernadette" come into the Bilbo-patented Jamerson Bass Grading System (JaBaGraS™)?

I don't think I could classify someones ability by the songs they play. I've seen bass players slay progressive tracks with feel and timing akin to taking a swipe with a baseball bat, yet watched a 12 year old make a fretless sing to the point of jealousy with his 'simplest' of lines - the lad just rinsed every ounce of groove and feel out of the line and he didn't appear to even realise it. - I would say the guy was destined for 'Something a Little Bit Special'.

[quote name='dood' post='750810' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:53 PM']I don't think I could classify someones ability by the songs they play. I've seen bass players slay progressive tracks with feel and timing akin to taking a swipe with a baseball bat, yet watched a 12 year old make a fretless sing to the point of jealousy with his 'simplest' of lines - the lad just rinsed every ounce of groove and feel out of the line and he didn't appear to even realise it. - I would say the guy was destined for 'Something a Little Bit Special'.[/quote]
Absolutely. Along with the ability to play insanely complex stuff, players need to develop the ability to [i]not[/i] play insanely complex stuff all the time. Sometimes all it needs is the root on the "1".

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='750799' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:46 PM']This is tempting fate...

I'm now waiting for the first.... "I'd been playing for twenty minutes and I could play Portrait of Tracey" (or any other nightmare part you care to mention) :)[/quote]

Basschat members have always struck me as more modest and at times self-depricating than that. I'm prepared to be proved wrong though.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='750799' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:46 PM']This is tempting fate...

I'm now waiting for the first.... "I'd been playing for twenty minutes and I could play Portrait of Tracey" (or any other nightmare part you care to mention) :)[/quote]

My son, aged 17 or so, picked up bass for the first time and learned the entire Stone Roses catalogue, by ear, in about a fortnight. My suggestion he might also want to learn a few basics fell on deaf ears.

Later he went to join an originals band and came unstuck when they produced chord charts for their material, and he had no idea what to do with them.

Its a difficult one becuse it can be broken down into so many elements. One could learn YYZ by tab but struggle on Day Tripper standard notation. They may learn Crossroads by ear but it could have taken them ages, however if they had some understanding of 12 bar blues and scales it would have been a doddle!