Why become a member? ×

Notes as colours

arthurhenry

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='748297' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:23 PM']Do you see notes as colours? I've spoken to other musicians who do and some who don't have a clue what I'm on about!
For me:
E is yellow
F Grey
F# Sandy
G Green
G# Greeny turquoise
A Browny red
A# Dark grey
B Blue
C Green
C# Bluey turquoise
D Red
D# ?[/quote]
hi arthurhenry,
i find this whole subject fascinating.
music tweakes different things in different brains.
how do you 'view' music ?
can you tell me what you 'see' when you hear this ? ..just out of interest ? no rorschach test or 'owt !! :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='748927' date='Feb 17 2010, 08:52 PM']colour = tuned frequency ?

shades of colour = fine-tuned frequency ?

all interesting.

musical instruments/scales are part of language/speech/ are part of art/perception.

all life's a perspective of a perspective of... :)

this is science.[/quote]
i'm going to bed soon.

i want your homework on my desk in the morning.

g'night. x

the keys player in my post rock band has synaesthesia... it's absolutely fascinating. he sees modes as colours, as well as numbers (he's doing maths at uni).

which is really bloody useful! :) the best thing is how easily he finds it to take on a style. when we first jammed, he was playing all of this crazy rachmaninoff style stuff. i recommended he listen to "ludovico einaudi", and next week he came back and sounded like einaudi. :rolleyes:

When I'm at work I have a very strong visual sense that permeates a lot of things that I think about. Like, a lot of my job involves managing movement and activities of people both inside and outside buildings and complicated interactions between traffic, pedestrians, cyclists, buses, deliveries while maintaining safety and convenience for everyone as far as possible. Thinking of flow related visual analogies, such as oxygen exchange in the lining of the lungs, water run off, drainage and outflow across a landscape and other things often helps simplify things.

I tend to think of music in the same way, like for example if I'm talking about being in front or behind the beat I tend to think about a spinning wooden wheel mounted on a base with a mark on its spinning circumference that matches a static pointer attached to the base. When the beat is in front, I imagine playing a note when the mark has yet to pass the pointer, likewise the opposite when the mark has passed the pointer. So long as I play when the mark is in the same location then its consistent. (Then there's a coloured zone for 'the pocket' which represents how far in front or behind I could potentially play without losing the groove.)

If I'm imagining a linear experience (as listening to music often is) I find myself in a tunnel moving through various sized rooms...its probably the presence of space within the arrangement of the music that I'm relating to most strongly I guess.

Anyways, this visual analogy thing isn't as special as synasthesia but I find how the brain deals with abstract concepts and ideas interesting. I've heard of some synaesthetes who have developed their abilities to enhance memorisation to remarkable levels.

One question for arthurhenry: do you ever feel trapped when you're at a concert and are exposed to ugly harmonies that you can't escape? Does an eye shade help? :)

Have you ever attended a John Mayer or Aphex Twin concert? John Mayer and Richard James are both synaesthetes apparently.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='749711' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:15 PM']I don't actually see the colours when I play, or use them to understand music, though some might. It's just that the notes have an inherent colour, just like I know my car is blue, I know an E is yellow.[/quote]

Either that or you've been playing too much Guitar Hero :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='748316' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:35 PM']No, not me. I think that form of synaesthesia's quite rare, compared to things like letters or numbers (or days of the week) having colours.

That said, I do get a sensation of different "tones" and "feelings" (bright, dark, happy, strident, etc.) from different chords and keys, which apparently not everyone has. In fact, I agree with Nigel Tufnel that D minor is the saddest of all keys. :rolleyes: No, seriously. An A major chord's bright and open to me, whereas Eb major's kind of solemnly smug. D minor's really sad, but A minor's just wistful. Hard to describe, but really useful at times.

Chord extensions give me different sensations too (and usually combined with the associated feeling for the base chord too):
maj7 = light, open, floating
min7 = dense, thick, dark
sus = sparkling[/quote]

Hahah i thought that was just me being stupid!

Thats roughly the same thing ive said to mates about chords! and get this look back :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='748713' date='Feb 17 2010, 05:33 PM']you beat me to it.

i'm trying to 'learn' perfect pitch at the moment. some people say it can't be done, others disagree.

i have a friend with synaesthesia. he sees shapes when tasting. he makes wonderful beer.[/quote]

normally i'd say i don't think it can be done, but this week i've been practicing with a blind keyboard player, and one thing i thought was really interesting was if you hit a note anywhere on his keyboard, he could hit the exact same note first attempt. also, when me and my guitar teacher randomly started jamming, he just joined in in the right key - we hadn't said what key we were playing in, he couldn't see where on the fretboard we were playing, he just knew.

i think its really amazing how he can do that, i always thought being pitch perfect was impossible, but it's kind of made me wonder. even if it is possible, i think its unbelievably difficult and i don't think just anyone could do it, you'd have to have excellent ears and really really know the sounds well, like a blind person would.

[quote name='Tait' post='749734' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:26 PM']i think its really amazing how he can do that, i always thought being pitch perfect was impossible, but it's kind of made me wonder. even if it is possible, i think its unbelievably difficult and i don't think just anyone could do it, you'd have to have excellent ears and really really know the sounds well, like a blind person would.[/quote]
It's astonishingly common in populations with "tonal" languages. Just take a look at the tables of data in [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1377995/pdf/10441595.pdf"]the first article here[/url]. In the "conservatory" group, 18% of the non-Asian music students (and thus generally the ones using non-tonal languages) had absolute pitch (or "perfect pitch"). Pretty high, you might think. Then you notice that the "conservatory" music students from Asian backgrounds have an AP-prevalence of nearly 50%. Yes, they're highly trained musicians, so you'd expect a high rate of AP in both groups, but the cultural difference is pretty impressive.

[url="http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1450"]This article from Language Log[/url]'s pretty interesting too, showing how pretty much everyone in the West misses the boat for developing AP.