Why become a member? ×

Notes as colours

arthurhenry

[quote name='paul h' post='749176' date='Feb 18 2010, 12:26 AM']I can "taste" food.[/quote]

Having no sense of smell I can barely do that. I'd always hoped that there would be compensation elsewhere but I'm short-sighted and long-sighted and have a terrible ear. Is there any evidence that synaesthesia can be learnt or developed by the way?

I think of music as hand shapes- everything I play relates to a guitar-like instrument in my head. So I'm sitting there working out theory on piano and hitting invisible chords. Some music, when combined with meditation, can give me a stoned feeling, which is pretty badass.

[quote name='dumelow' post='749897' date='Feb 18 2010, 03:56 PM']bum note = brown[/quote]

Ha Ha, that's class!

About seeing notes as colours is anyone watching the latest series of Heros on BBC? There is a new deaf character who can see notes as colours.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='748297' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:23 PM']Do you see notes as colours? I've spoken to other musicians who do and some who don't have a clue what I'm on about!
For me:
E is yellow
F Grey
F# Sandy
G Green
G# Greeny turquoise
A Browny red
A# Dark grey
B Blue
C Green
C# Bluey turquoise
D Red
D# ?[/quote]

That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard!
What happens with D# then?

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='748713' date='Feb 17 2010, 05:33 PM']you beat me to it.

i'm trying to 'learn' perfect pitch at the moment. some people say it can't be done, others disagree.

i have a friend with synaesthesia. he sees shapes when tasting. he makes wonderful beer.[/quote]

when I was at college many years ago, I remember reading about a course designed to help you develop perfect pitch. They used colours, I remember F# was green.