Why become a member? ×

Music Ground

ianSB

They're shits.

Music Ground used to be the best 'rock' music shop in Leeds, it's hard to pinpoint precisely when they turned into such despicable c**ts but it was shortly after they moved into their current premises. You won't find anything in there that's worth the asking price, and you will be condescended to while you try to establish why anyone would think that what you're looking at would actually be worth the stupid amount of money they're asking for.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='746801' date='Feb 16 2010, 05:29 AM']They're shits.

Music Ground used to be the best 'rock' music shop in Leeds, it's hard to pinpoint precisely when they turned into such despicable c**ts but it was shortly after they moved into their current premises. You won't find anything in there that's worth the asking price, and you will be condescended to while you try to establish why anyone would think that what you're looking at would actually be worth the stupid amount of money they're asking for.[/quote]
It's funny isn't it, I went there before Christmas and they were really helpful and friendly, I had a good first impression. Prices? Well ..

I could tell you some stories ................................ be very, VERY careful if you're buying vintage gear.

Before they moved I always bought things from them, my first guitar came from there. Now you can either be completely ignored or hustled and patronised depending on what mood they're in.

I guess the Harrisons lost a few of the guys who made their shop customer-friendly.

A few years ago, I emailed them with an enquiry.

When I email a business, I sometimes use a recogniseable username before my domain in the reply address so I can see who's sending me email (a little bit paranoid, I suppose).

On this occasion, I used '[email protected]' ('mg' for Music Ground, you see?).

A month or so later, I started receiving irrelevant spam to '[email protected]', and it continues to this day.

Not suggesting anything.. it's probably a coincidence.

[quote name='noisedude' post='746991' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:51 AM']I could tell you some stories ................................ be very, VERY careful if you're buying vintage gear.[/quote]

+1, especially with regard to their Denmark Street shops.

But do bear in mind that they're a large organisation. Not everyone there is some sort of rip-off merchant - there are still some very good people working for them.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='747004' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:57 AM']+1, especially with regard to their Denmark Street shops.

But do bear in mind that they're a large organisation. Not everyone there is some sort of rip-off merchant - there are still some very good people working for them.[/quote]
There always were in Leeds and Doncaster too. Anyone who's worked behind the scenes in music instrument retail will be able to tell you that the rot stems from the top in that organisation though.

As I posted in the best and worse music shop thread.

I hate Music Ground in Doncaster with a vengence. Totally ripped me off back around 1999. I had some inheritance money so wanted to buy a couple of basses. Decided on a 77 MIA Fender Precision but could not decide on a Ricky or a Telecaster bass. The guy there, probably the manager said hey, don't worry, we do a 30 day return so if not happy, bring it back and we will refund you. Cool I thought. So bought the Ricky and took it home back to Surrey with the Precision. After a week, decided the Ricky was not for me so phoned up and they said yeah bring it back no worries. So drove all the way up from Surrey to Doncaster to be told that they don't do returns or refunds but we can exchange for something else. I was furious and ended up letting rip but he just said it was my fault. Plus I should had phoned before leaving which I informed him I did which he then denied ever having a phone call. Ended up swapping it for a Fender Telecaster bass but I was furious. Maybe a little niave on my part but they still lied to me and treated me like sh*t. I promised myself that if I ever drive past that shop, it will be very hard to not throw a brick through the window. Sounds like its gone now anyway.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='746999' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:56 AM']When I email a business, I sometimes use a recogniseable username before my domain in the reply address so I can see who's sending me email (a little bit paranoid, I suppose).

On this occasion, I used '[email protected]' ('mg' for Music Ground, you see?).

A month or so later, I started receiving irrelevant spam to '[email protected]', and it continues to this day.

Not suggesting anything.. it's probably a coincidence.[/quote]

I used to do that (back when I could collect mail to a catch-all, but my domain is so badly spammed now I don't bother), and I also once sent them email from musicground@mydomain, and got spammed to that address shortly afterwards.

[quote name='Linus27' post='747246' date='Feb 16 2010, 02:08 PM']As I posted in the best and worse music shop thread.

I hate Music Ground in Doncaster with a vengence. Totally ripped me off back around 1999. I had some inheritance money so wanted to buy a couple of basses. Decided on a 77 MIA Fender Precision but could not decide on a Ricky or a Telecaster bass. The guy there, probably the manager said hey, don't worry, we do a 30 day return so if not happy, bring it back and we will refund you. Cool I thought. So bought the Ricky and took it home back to Surrey with the Precision. After a week, decided the Ricky was not for me so phoned up and they said yeah bring it back no worries. So drove all the way up from Surrey to Doncaster to be told that they don't do returns or refunds but we can exchange for something else. I was furious and ended up letting rip but he just said it was my fault. Plus I should had phoned before leaving which I informed him I did which he then denied ever having a phone call. Ended up swapping it for a Fender Telecaster bass but I was furious. Maybe a little niave on my part but they still lied to me and treated me like sh*t. I promised myself that if I ever drive past that shop, it will be very hard to not throw a brick through the window. Sounds like its gone now anyway.[/quote]
What a bunch of ...(insert the word "c***s" here)...

The shop in Manchester totally ripped me off a few years ago.

I bought a rare Rickenbacker from them for well over a grand but then decided to move it on.

I tried via this forum and a clued up member of the lefty fraternity told me they'd seen it on sale in a different store, i think in London for around £750 or something like that.

We were pretty certain that it was the same bass as they are almost non-existent even right handed.

I was disgusted and made my mind up never to give them a penny ever again.

I've been told that they use the Doncaster address now as their Hiwatt office; dunno if that's true or not, but their involvement alone is enough for me to never want a new Hiwatt.
On the Hiwatt plexi forum they've been proven to adapt old amps & sell them off as vintage whatevers. A favourite is to buy slave Hiwatts cheap & make them up into full amps then sell them at a massive profit as vintage. They've even made fake spec plates with fake S/Ns on them.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='747895' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:01 AM']................allegedly.................[/quote]

Oh yes! Allegedly!
Apparently the dodgy Hiwatts are easy to spot because the ( ) around the Hiwatt name on the spec plates are out of line with the text inbetween; the genuine old ones never were.

[quote name='Linus27' post='747246' date='Feb 16 2010, 02:08 PM']As I posted in the best and worse music shop thread.

I hate Music Ground in Doncaster with a vengence. Totally ripped me off back around 1999. I had some inheritance money so wanted to buy a couple of basses. Decided on a 77 MIA Fender Precision but could not decide on a Ricky or a Telecaster bass. The guy there, probably the manager said hey, don't worry, we do a 30 day return so if not happy, bring it back and we will refund you. Cool I thought. So bought the Ricky and took it home back to Surrey with the Precision. After a week, decided the Ricky was not for me so phoned up and they said yeah bring it back no worries. So drove all the way up from Surrey to Doncaster to be told that they don't do returns or refunds but we can exchange for something else. I was furious and ended up letting rip but he just said it was my fault. Plus I should had phoned before leaving which I informed him I did which he then denied ever having a phone call. Ended up swapping it for a Fender Telecaster bass but I was furious. Maybe a little niave on my part but they still lied to me and treated me like sh*t. I promised myself that if I ever drive past that shop, it will be very hard to not throw a brick through the window. Sounds like its gone now anyway.[/quote]

I don't think you were being naive at all. You had a verbal agreement and as such I would have expected them to stick by it. I always stick by ' if you say you're going to do it, do it. If not, keep your mouth shut.'
I've got plenty of bricks, if you want some :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='747954' date='Feb 17 2010, 05:32 AM']I don't think you were being naive at all. You had a verbal agreement and as such I would have expected them to stick by it. I always stick by ' if you say you're going to do it, do it. If not, keep your mouth shut.'
I've got plenty of bricks, if you want some :)[/quote]

HAHAHA thank you, as you can tell, after all these years, I am still bitter, probably because it was inheritance money they had ripped me off with. I may call you for those bricks :rolleyes:

i had a bass taken from me without permission,it ended up at MusicGround.....

im not saying the two are connected........

but,they were complete and utter C**ts when i challenged them about it..apparently they had swapped the guitar,knowing it was mine,for some Crappy Hiwatt amps.....lovely..