Why become a member? ×

IBANEZ SR300

elliswasp

Hi there i currently have a squire p bass but thankfully not a standard one i have had the thing chocked over recently and it was given a clean bill of health i also about a year about a year ago put seymour dunkun hot pick ups in her so she really sings rather nicely but i am looking for a second bass and want something that doesnt sound the same as the p bass now looking at the sr300 it would appear on paper to be nothing like the squire at all humbuckers in stead of single ciol three tone pots and so on it really does look to be a very nice piece of equipment now i am going to do my best to try one out but i would love to hear what anyone has to say on them good or bad just to give me an idea of what im letting my self in for as i think im going to have to travel a fair distance to have a go on one.

Markus

Edited by elliswasp

Markus

Good bass the sr300. Had a red sparkle / maple neck one and it was well worth it. The build quality is really good and the bass punches well above it`s price. I`ve never seen a bad modern ibby.

The only thing is, if you play finger style, the shape of the pickups mean that you may find it difficult to anchor your thumb on it. I ended up sticking a heavy plectrum in the gap between the pickup and the body rout. Nice range of colours too.

And while your buying the bass, any chance of buying a full stop!! :) :rolleyes:

Jez

[quote name='elliswasp' post='746556' date='Feb 15 2010, 09:27 PM']Hi there i currently have a squire p bass but thankfully not a standard one i have had the thing chocked over recently and it was given a clean bill of health i also about a year about a year ago put seymour dunkun hot pick ups in her so she really sings rather nicely but i am looking for a second bass and want something that doesnt sound the same as the p bass now looking at the sr300 it would appear on paper to be nothing like the squire at all humbuckers in stead of single ciol three tone pots and so on it really does look to be a very nice piece of equipment now i am going to do my best to try one out but i would love to hear what anyone has to say on them good or bad just to give me an idea of what im letting my self in for as i think im going to have to travel a fair distance to have a go on one.

Markus[/quote]

its an excellent bass. i've used the SR500 for ages, so i might be a little biased, but a bass player i know uses the SR300 and its a great piece of kit, well worth looking at. try one out, see what you think.

and, just because i'm pedantic, technically the precision bass has a humbucker pickup, i think because there are 2 coils that cancel hum.

I bought one in the middle of last year. It was either the SR300 or a Squire VMJ and for me I feel I made the right choice. The VMJ gets a very good write up, however for me personally the SR300 suits me and my playing better.

For the money it's feels like a lot of instrument. The whole bass is thin to the point of anorexia and as another thread here points out the body is potentially a modern classic.

Tone and stuff, you can make it sound fat, modern and bright or growl like a grizzly. It is very versatile. And thats without changing the EQ on the bass but leaving them flat and leaving the work to your fingers and the amp.

The only thing I'd sell it for is an SR500 or a second hand Warwick Corvette.

Generally I'm a happy bunny.

[quote name='Doddy' post='747229' date='Feb 16 2010, 01:54 PM']Ibanez Soundgear basses are great instruments. Their necks are really
slim,which can be good or bad depending on preference,but I think they
are comfortable to play.

[b]......They also use punctuation[/b]. :)[/quote]

BWAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!!

You owe me a new keyboard!

:rolleyes:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='747279' date='Feb 16 2010, 02:34 PM']I was looking at one of these the other day in a gorgeous chrome orange/cayenne colour. Amazing value for a mere £239. Go for it, I'd say :)[/quote]

Is this the colour you were talking about otpj? I had a look at it in guitarguitar on monday and it looks even better in the flesh.

Jez

[attachment=42816:10012212245428f_1_.jpg]

Okay, I went back to the place today and played the one I was looking at. It's an excellent bass for the money. In fact, I'm going to get one of the chrome orange ones. The eq is excellent & powerful & the necks are lovely too. No complaints here at all. :)

Yes, that's the colour. I originally wanted the white one when BGM reviewed it a while ago, but the chrome orange is now top of my list having seen it in the flesh.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='elliswasp' post='753104' date='Feb 21 2010, 06:53 PM']When i get mine im having it in candy apple red with a maple neck i think that is just about the nicest combination ive ever heard of lol.

Markus[/quote]
Mine's in CAP (or it might be sparkle 'cause it does a bit) with rosewood neck. I thought maple would be better but I saw one in my LMS and wasn't that keen on it. Maybe it's just me. What I really wanted though was it in that electric blue they were doing it in with a maple neck, that was the dogs wotsits for me. I think they not do it anymore in blue :)

andy apple would sparkle a bit the red sparkle one is majorly sparkly i know what you mean about the blue one it is a really nice blue and i would agree the maple would look lovely on that too im hoping to see a CA one in a few days with the rose wood and the maple neck i got to travel a little way to see it but it will be worth it.

I know maple isnt for everyone but im a bit of a fan on it to be honest i have a cream p bass with a white scratch plate and i want to put a maple neck on that i think it would amaizing with it on but i may not bother once o got the ianez as it might look a little OTT with them both being maple necks we will see.

Markus

[quote name='elliswasp' post='753614' date='Feb 22 2010, 11:31 AM']andy apple would sparkle a bit the red sparkle one is majorly sparkly i know what you mean about the blue one it is a really nice blue and i would agree the maple would look lovely on that too im hoping to see a CA one in a few days with the rose wood and the maple neck i got to travel a little way to see it but it will be worth it.

I know maple isnt for everyone but im a bit of a fan on it to be honest i have a cream p bass with a white scratch plate and i want to put a maple neck on that i think it would amaizing with it on but i may not bother once o got the ianez as it might look a little OTT with them both being maple necks we will see.

Markus[/quote]

I would have probably felt differently if I'd got the maple neck, and not been keen on the rosewood :)
All said it's a very good bass for the money. It was either the SR300 or a Squire VMJ, both very good but the Ibby felt more me.

All the best with your new purchase

Rich

[quote name='Marvin' post='753923' date='Feb 22 2010, 03:25 PM']I would have probably felt differently if I'd got the maple neck, and not been keen on the rosewood :)
All said it's a very good bass for the money. It was either the SR300 or a Squire VMJ, both very good but the Ibby felt more me.

All the best with your new purchase

Rich[/quote]

Weel what do you know i didnt get the maple neck despite it looking fantastic it just didnt sound as nice i didnt realise that the necks being made of a different wood made such a difference.

still never mind i still got the candy apple red one and i loved the sound im very happy with the look weight and sound of the ibanez im very happy with my purchase.

<arkus

I do urge you to try one first. I was going to get one as I loved my trusty GSR 200, but when I played it in the shop didn't get on with the "ramp" pickups at all (nowhere to put my thumb for fingerstyle). If thats not an issue for you, then they are very versatile, great sounding basses, especially when you take into account the price.

Yeah i have to say im very happy with my purchase it looks so nice i am a little upset with the fact that i couldnt have the maple neck but it really did sound different so for the difference in sound it seemed to make more sense to go for the rosewood neck. It really does look lovely still so i cant complain i may get a maple neck for my p bass instead lol

Markus