Why become a member? ×

russmann

Ampeg with a double bass sounds a bit bizarre. You'd usually want something to reproduce the sound of the DB as accurately as possible.

I have a load of gear that I can use, but I find my EA iAmp into my Acme B2 to be the most versatile. It's very compact, loud and accurate. The EA's EQ section is probably the most versatile on any amp, and can make the Acme sound like anything else.

Take a look at the Genz Benz Shuttle series-they're great.
Acoustic Image make a great amp that is perfect for upright. If you are set on
an Ampeg,I've seen the B200r(I think) Rocket bass combo used for doubling.
Having said that,I've used a Roland cube for ages and it's been fine.

• 2 years later...

+1 Mini Brute, I've had 3 of these in my time. Years ahead of their time and solid as they are small! Great for upright and electric too. These days they are probably a bit dated though (if you can find one) and a Genz Benz shuttle 3 with 1x12 speaker would be the modern equivalent I guess. not a cheap option though.

[quote name='russmann' timestamp='1266167177' post='744977']
Hi,

What do you guys would be a decent rig for a small jazz orchestra? I'll be needing something versatile that I could use both bass guitar and double bass with.

I've heard from a number of people that an Ampeg SVT2 would be most versatile. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Russ
[/quote]

Playing with a jazz workshop band, loads of horn players plus rhythm section - I used a Henriksen Jazzamp 110 with a lead from the line out into a small Ashdown combo for a bit more bottom end. No problem with volume (was actually asked to turn down!) and a nice big warm sound.

Most of the bassplayers I've seen with Jazz outfits (Kurt Rosenwinkel's trio and quartet, Jonathan Kreisberg's quartet, Ari Hoenig's band), all using upright bass, have all used [u]small[/u] GK combo's. Maybe it's a New York thing........

Anyway, if it's real jazz, as opposed to noisy fusion stuff, then you won't need volume, just clarity. (No value judgement intended in saying "real jazz" - just trying to differentiate).

[quote name='mangotango' timestamp='1346427362' post='1789157']
Playing with a jazz workshop band, loads of horn players plus rhythm section - I used a Henriksen Jazzamp 110 with a lead from the line out into a small Ashdown combo for a bit more bottom end. No problem with volume (was actually asked to turn down!) and a nice big warm sound.

Most of the bassplayers I've seen with Jazz outfits (Kurt Rosenwinkel's trio and quartet, Jonathan Kreisberg's quartet, Ari Hoenig's band), all using upright bass, have all used [u]small[/u] GK combo's. Maybe it's a New York thing........

Anyway, if it's real jazz, as opposed to noisy fusion stuff, then you won't need volume, just clarity. (No value judgement intended in saying "real jazz" - just trying to differentiate).
[/quote]

Yep, the DB player in the 18 piece big band I used to play rhythm guitar in used the little GK (MB1 I think). Always sounded very natural and always loud enough in that context.

Lots of AI and EA fans on here. For upright, transparency seems to be the name of the game. If you want colour for the bg, use a valve pedal. A two channel amp is a big plus for doubling.

As for cabs, I can't recommend the Barefaced Midget highly enough. Seriously loud, uncoloured, small, stupidly light and a tiny footprint on stage too.

The way I see it, an upright is enough weight to hump around.

Oddly, last night I dreamt about two rioters on the street fighting each other with double basses. I mean, what's all that about? :D

Edited by fatback