Why become a member? ×

Someone please explain this to me....

Grand Wazoo

Excellent thread, with some really good posts chaps :rolleyes:

I too have some really expensive basses......and at the moment, I mostly seem to play my Squier Affinity Jazz bass, with the EMG J-Set in it! :) There's just nothing wrong with it, other than the pups were a bit weak. Because it's a "cheapy" I don't worry so much about chucking it in a gig bag, carrying it in the boot of the car, using it at band practice, etc. All in all, it really is a cracking little work horse of a bass. It does get looked after, and maintained though :lol:

I think there are a lot of half decent basses out there really cheap & with a few smaller modifications they become great. Face it, if you buy a starter drum kit you can really spice it up with some decent cymbals. Equally a lot of great kit is vastly over priced. You can pay a third of the price to get something that is 90% as good. Same with amps, same with most musical kit.

[quote name='bumnote' post='743545' date='Feb 12 2010, 10:09 PM']like turning your amp up a notch? :)[/quote]

No not really (funny by the way, does yours go to 11?) but if you recall I had a lot of buzzing noise coming from this bass from day one, when I attempted to screen the cavity and the back of the scratch plate I found out the pickup wires to be so flimsy that they were interrupted in many places, causing interference noises. With the Quarter Pound the sound is of the same quality but obviously there is a lot more clarity in the mids (which were lacking on the original) and no noise at all, not even when I take my hands away from metallic parts. I think overal the cost of the SD is quite reasonable and its well worth the improvement you get from it which is all that matters in the end.

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/scpb3_quarterpo/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass...cpb3_quarterpo/[/url]

[i]"The quarter-inch diameter pole pieces add more string sensitivity than the Hot model. Aggressive tonal response with strong bottom end and lots of mids. Adds tremendous tonal versatility to a single pickup instrument. Includes Basslines logo."[/i]

available here [url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-guitar-pickups/seymour-duncan-scpb-3-quarter-pound-for-single-coil-p-bass.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/bass-guitar-pick...oil-p-bass.html[/url]

Edited by bass5

MIJ Fenders are great, but if you get a good 08/09 or a vintage, it just sounds massive and looks stunning. MIM ones I've tested myself sounded half decent but didn't feel right.

The Squiers discussed certainly look good.

Sometimes it's the feel...getting a low action can be impossible on certain basses that are cheaper.

I'd love a nice MIJ P or J to thrash about on. I might pick one up second hand eventually. The one I sold to Nigel was great!

Good post - over the many years of playing bass (and gui*ar) I've often fondest memories of cheaper models.
Squier JV Precision, a Tokai Jazz and a great Jap Dan Armstrong see through are my fave 'cheapies', although they would n't be that now!

I think its that great feeling of connecting with an instrument when you know it has n't cost as much as maybe the original it was modelled on.
My MM Sub bass is as good as my Stingray in most respects, for half the dosh.

Same goes for amplification-wish I'd kept some of those too.

All hail good inexpensive gear!

Edited by casapete

I am in trouble now... I've liked that 51 P-Bass so much now look what happened!!!

I went to GAK in Brighton this morning with my son, I liked it so much I've bought it, but... the original pickups are well below par, so I've already got these 2 babies to put in:

application
Vintage-voiced Stack®. Perfect for country, pop, blues, and classic rock.
description
This is one of our most popular Basslines pickups. It captures the same great tone, presence and response of the SJB-1 Vintage single coil, but without the annoying hum. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable and logo cover.
complete setup
Calibrated neck and bridge set. Neck pickup is slightly narrower.

I've always owned cheap basses [i]because[/i] they can be a bit rough around the edges. And you can always soup them up a bit with bits and bobs and end up with something nice. Until recently the most expensive bass I ever owned was a Squire Standard Jazz, which was 190 quid. All that needs is some better pickups and it'll be spot on.

Call me a Philistine, but when I've heard more expensive basses (i.e. Warwicks) live, I really can't tell much difference between them and something cheaper. So perhaps I'm just a cheap Philistine... :)

Well now......the bass guitars I play and like the most are a Vintage VB940FL (someone mistook it for a Warwick the other day) and an old `82 Tokai that beats my previous Fender on all counts. Interestingly my favourite double bass is a no-name 1950`s German `blonde` plywood job....cheap and supposedly inferior, but it plays like a dream, has real character and gives out at the low end like there`s an earth tremor coming!

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='744183' date='Feb 13 2010, 06:03 PM']Call me a Philistine, but when I've heard more expensive basses (i.e. Warwicks) live, I really can't tell much difference between them and something cheaper. So perhaps I'm just a cheap Philistine... :)[/quote]

OK.

You're a Philistine.

:rolleyes: