Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ive gone all P Bass!!!

bubinga5

Ive been gasing for a P bass lately, big time...pref in sunburst with rosewood...i know very little about them, so a couple of Q's...

As ive heard that the P bass pick config can be limited (or am i wrong) Do they make a Pbass with an added Jazz pickup? what are they like.

What am i looking at price wise for a used year 2000+ Precision...are the latest models the best?

USA or CIJ/MIJ...???

Any advise?

If you're talking US Fenders, they made a Precision Special in the late 90s with an extra Jazz p/u and a Jazz width neck. There was one FS on the forum recently.

Best VFM are Japanese Fenders (CIJ/MIJ are the same) but for £200-300 more you can pick up a great 2008+ MIA Precision - these have lightweight tuners, heavy mass bridges and a superb hard case. Look to pay £600-700 for a vgc used 2008+ MIA Precision.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='bubinga5' post='740408' date='Feb 9 2010, 09:57 PM']Ive been gasing for a P bass lately, big time...pref in sunburst with rosewood...i know very little about them, so a couple of Q's...

As ive heard that the P bass pick config can be limited (or am i wrong) Do they make a Pbass with an added Jazz pickup? what are they like.[/quote]

You can get a lot of sounds from a P Bass depending on where and how you play it. It sits in the mix very well. Don't worry too much about the Jazz pickup.
I think everyone should own one :)

If your not looking at getting an 08/09 American model, my choice would be a Jap model.

[quote name='bh2' post='740645' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:10 AM']....The P gas gets us all in the end... took me nearly thirty years!....[/quote]
Took me 3 mins to decide and a lot longer to save up! When I bought mine Jazz basses were played by pop groups and Precision basses were played by [i]real[/i] men!

Do you really need a Jazz pickup on a Precision with modern amps and their "super" EQ's?

[quote name='chris_b' post='740670' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:42 AM']Do you really need a Jazz pickup on a Precision with modern amps and their "super" EQ's?[/quote]
Nope. My P-J tends to be P on 10, J on 0, and even through the Barefaced Vintage there's loads of bite and snarl. I even prefer the P sound for slap... or I would if I could slap properly. :)

[quote name='KevB' post='740701' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:17 AM']If you are on a budget these are very playable and excellent value for money:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-P-Bass-Special---Black-Metallic~ID~3431.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~S...lic~ID~3431.asp[/url][/quote]
Baffling picture in that link... description says it's V/V/T controls, but the picture has two knobs and a jack socket. :)

I would suggest trying as many different models as you can.
If you are on a budget, look at a secondhand CIJ Precision. loads of them have a jazz pickup on aswell-jazz special, aerodyne, precision lyte etc.
As for the J pup question, I dont really know. I like it on my P Lyte, but hate it on my white 78-it was a mod done by the original owner and if it weren´t for the gaping hole in the body it would leave, Id rip it out! :)
And with that Precision, The P pup is run full tilt and the J around 0-1.
With a decent EQ, you can dial in a decent sound from any pup config, so there´s no need to really stress over this.
Go out and plonk on as many ´Persuaders´ as possible-everyone comes around in the end-its like growing up, or being born again or something :lol: :lol: :lol: (no offence to anyone here who is either grown up or born again intended) :rolleyes:

IMO the best thing about the P bass is it's lack of complication... one pup, one tone control... if you're looking for more than that then get a Jazz bass.

I'd get an MIA but I'm more than happy with my MIM... only £250 off the bay, it's a cracker.

[quote name='KevB' post='740701' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:17 AM']If you are on a budget these are very playable and excellent value for money:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-P-Bass-Special---Black-Metallic~ID~3431.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~S...lic~ID~3431.asp[/url][/quote]

Apart from the black headstock, that's exactly the bass I play and I've had absolutely no problems with it at all. Bought it 2nd hand and when I took it for a setup, the guy didn't have to adjust anything.

I've mended the scratchplate and put flatties on it and it plays like a dream.

EDIT: Actually, I tell a lie - this one's mine.
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Affinity-P-Bass---Black~ID~3423.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~S...ack~ID~3423.asp[/url]
*(And damn - at this price new, I reckon I overpaid for mine when I bought it)

Edited by lanark

As someone else pointed out the pic is misleading, they actually have a side mounted jack socket and 3 knobs, 2 vols and a tone. When I ordered mine it didn't have a matching coloured headstock either on arrival but I wasn't bothered. I did little tweaking of string and pickup heights but it was perfectly playable out of the box, there have been a few posts about these on other threads and evryone that has bought them seems happy with them. I bought mine as a backup after seeing someoen play one at a jam session and thought the tone was excellent for a low cost bass. Fender take some flack for QC problems but whoever is running the Squier line in China or Indonesia where these are built seem to be getting it right most of the time.

[quote name='KevB' post='740955' date='Feb 10 2010, 01:28 PM']As someone else pointed out the pic is misleading, they actually have a side mounted jack socket and 3 knobs, 2 vols and a tone. When I ordered mine it didn't have a matching coloured headstock either on arrival but I wasn't bothered. I did little tweaking of string and pickup heights but it was perfectly playable out of the box, there have been a few posts about these on other threads and evryone that has bought them seems happy with them. I bought mine as a backup after seeing someoen play one at a jam session and thought the tone was excellent for a low cost bass. Fender take some flack for QC problems but whoever is running the Squier line in China or Indonesia where these are built seem to be getting it right most of the time.[/quote]

A side-mounted jack is one thing I'd love to change about mine - that's where the scratchplate was broken when I bought it.

I'm not happy with this Precision love in.
They're rubbish. Go and play a Jazz or a Warwick or something. They're miles better and have more varied and useable sounds.

[color="#808080"]

[size=1]When I was a teenager I'd stop following and cross out the name from my exercise book of a band once they'd been on TOTP. I don't want to play the 'popular' bass.[/size][/color] :)