Why become a member? ×

Lots of Super J basses, where are the Super P basses?

NJE

Apologies if there is already a thread on this I did do a search, but I just started thinking (always dangerous),
there are so many companies making 5 string "Super J" style basses and "Jazz Bass on steroids" where are the "Super P" Basses?

Ok so I know that a couple of companies do produce 5 string P basses like Sandberg make the California PM, and Sadowsky make a NYC 5 string precision ( I think) but on the whole, unless you go custom, like the lovely Shuker P 5's on here, there doesn't seem to be much about in terms of a slightly more "off the rack" Active 5 string Precision with some extra pickups options.

Why is this the case? Is it because the P doesnt need messing with? is it because P basses arent as attractive as a jazz bass? (they are to me BTW) or is it something that people want but not many builders have supplied?

I am quite happy to be proved wrong on this so please if they are about let me know.

[quote name='OldGit' post='736221' date='Feb 5 2010, 02:25 PM']An active P bass with two pickups?
Well Fender did that to them in the 80's - those ones with the white pickups but it's really not the Spirit of P is it?[/quote]

The "spirit of P" is what I was wondering about. Is it just that P fans are happy with it as it is and dont want mods and extra pickups? I remeber those older two pickup P's, Fender also used to do an amazing 5 string Active Deluxe P which I loved but they have been pulled I think. Shame great basses.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='736240' date='Feb 5 2010, 02:53 PM']I think these are super P's[/quote]

Thats the kind of thing I am talking about, blocks and binding and extra humbuckers or single coil, but in a 5 string. Dont seem to be as many of those as there are High end Jazz V's.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='736345' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:56 PM']Super-P = Standard Jazz

I assume that was what was in Mr F's mind when he designed the latter.[/quote]

A fair point really. I would add though that every Jazz Bass I've owned has left me feeling it needs more, usually at least a Badass bridge and a preamp. In my experience, few upgrades beyond perhaps better PUPs work all that well on a standard Precision (although having said that I'm about to have the original pre-amp reinstalled into my '81 Precision Special). Personally I think the Precision is pretty much perfect, and the Jazz, like the Stingray after it, were examples of Leo tinkering with perfection. Logically of course, if you tinker with perfection, the only possible outcome is less perfection!

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='736417' date='Feb 5 2010, 04:55 PM']Logically of course, if you tinker with perfection, the only possible outcome is less perfection![/quote]
Exhibiting characteristic thoroughness, our German cousins have boiled this idea down to a single noun.

[quote]"Schlimbesserung (n): a change made with the best of intentions which turns out to have an unwelcome downside[/quote]
As in:

Ernie: "My Jazz bass is a Schlimbesserung"

Eric: "That's funny, I thought it was a Fender." (Wiggles spectacles up and down)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='736466' date='Feb 5 2010, 05:40 PM']Exhibiting characteristic thoroughness, our German cousins have boiled this idea down to a single noun.

As in:

Ernie: "My Jazz bass is a Schlimbesserung"

Eric: "That's funny, I thought it was a Fender." (Wiggles spectacles up and down)[/quote]

And if BBC were still here he's no doubt point out that this is exactly why Warwicks are so crap*

C

*The views above do not represent those of the Beedster Corporation or any of its subsidiaries.

[quote name='Beedster' post='736473' date='Feb 5 2010, 05:47 PM']And if BBC were still here he's no doubt point out that this is exactly why Warwicks are so crap*

C

*The views above do not represent those of the Beedster Corporation or any of its subsidiaries.[/quote]

Beedster Bass Corporation? :)

A good preamp really brings an ordinary P bass to life, IMO.

As far as boutique P basses go, I think it almost runs contrary to what the P is all about - it's the workhorse of the bass world. Simple, effictive, and you can pick up a great one off the rack from the likes of Fender, G&L and Lakland. Also, if I were to ever see a P bass with a buckeye burl top I think I might be sick.