Why become a member? ×

Vintage MIJ (formerly J@pCr@p) Spotting

Bassassin

38 minutes ago, pete.young said:

To the fair, the stories are so ubiquitous and the truth is so nuanced its hardly surprising sellers repeat what they have read or been told by others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

Quest que c'est?

😂

C'est un Matsumoku-related brand, sub-brand de Vantage:

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage/catalogs/atak-manhattan/pg5.html

5 hours ago, pete.young said:

Dunno what that is, but pretty sure it's not MIJ. Possibly Italian, maybe a Gherson or Melody or somesuch. A bit shonky-looking, whatever it is but quite interesting. Would be a lot more interesting if it was £400 less.

Edited by Bassassin
Bleedin' felt like it, didn't I?
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

7 hours ago, pete.young said:

love that T bird! Pricey though..

Edited by skidder652003

Anyone know what that thing that looks like a tailpiece is on the Greco? I've noticed that all Greco's seem to have them, but they all seem to have three point bridges which make them superfluous. Unless of course, I've got the wrong end of the stick...which is possible....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, W1_Pro said:

Anyone know what that thing that looks like a tailpiece is on the Greco? I've noticed that all Greco's seem to have them, but they all seem to have three point bridges which make them superfluous. Unless of course, I've got the wrong end of the stick...which is possible....

For people who hate string silks being on the bridge peices?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, pete.young said:

Yes, I think it's an optimistic price. I think you could get a genuine Gibson for not much more, although Greco build quality is likely to be better 🙂

I doubt you could get a 76 or earlier Gibson Thunderbird (which is what this copy is based on) at that price.

On 11/05/2020 at 09:35, No. 8 Wire said:

Jarock fretless.  Never heard of the brand, internet search suggests they are similar to Blazers but with funkier colours.  Any info?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153926537681

I've encountered these, as will be of immense surprise to precisely nobody. They appear to belong to a small but curious sub-category of 80s MIJ instruments - copies of original Japanese guitars & basses. And obviously this is an Ibanez Blazer copy.

Despite what the seller says they're not from the "Ibanez factory", and beyond cosmetic appearances, are different & lower budget than the originals. This is madly overpriced - £425 would be pretty stupid money for a real Blazer.

It is sort of cool though - I've never seen a factory fretless Jarock before, and they did come in nice sparkly colours; I was outbid on a glitter pink one a while back - I was out at £70.

Apropos of nothing, if anyone's interested, these were also sold (in the US, I'd guess) under the Madeira name - which was a licensed sub-brand of Guild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...