Why become a member? ×

I Like the look of this one.

Duarte

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='706295' date='Jan 9 2010, 09:01 AM']One of the guys on the EBMM forum or TB has one in a lovely olive gold sparkle. That's a special looking bass. :)[/quote]
special as in "special needs"?.....eeewwwhhhh!!!

(soz OTPJ... you know I'm only having a :rolleyes: )

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='706299' date='Jan 9 2010, 09:20 AM']Is that the Big Al? Sorry but I think they've managed to make a bass even uglier than the Bongo, and that's quite an achievement. Not a fan of the deliberately forced retro lines, looks like something out of an american 1960's kids cartoon. Loadsa buttons though![/quote]
Double ++++1

Yes, the Bongo is beautiful - I have another one on the way. Then I plan on getting one of these single H Big Al's - I prefer the idea of these to the 3 single coil ones. But I think they look great, it's not as if it's the pointiest bass ever made, just a cool funky shape...

Yuck, just my oppinion, looks a bit like the guitar Alvin lee plays (AXIS i think?)
Don't much care for Bongo's either altho i like how they sound.
What is Mr Ball trying to do with the company? All these odd basses & special editions?
The company was founded on the Stingray etc. & how many of those are still around?
Just as Fender have stuck with various P & J basses & their variants,
'If it ain't broke don't fix it'! (IMO)

[quote name='Bassman68' post='706536' date='Jan 9 2010, 01:37 PM']Yuck, just my oppinion, looks a bit like the guitar Alvin lee plays (AXIS i think?)[/quote]

Albert Lee plays the 'Albert Lee' signature model -and the 'Big Al' is a
bass version of the guitar-hence the similarities.

[quote name='Bassman68' post='706536' date='Jan 9 2010, 01:37 PM']Yuck, just my oppinion, looks a bit like the guitar Alvin lee plays (AXIS i think?)[/quote]

That would be the 'Albert Lee'...hence this is called the 'Big Al' - it's the same shape (headstock and all) which has been around for over a decade.

Edit: Ahhhh beat me to it!

Edited by Duarte

ALso, I reckon (although having never played one) opinions will start changing after people hear it and feel it - like people dismissed the Bongo at first.

Maybe this will be one of those ones that everyone hates the look of (and I can't understand why - it just doesn't look like a fender I suppose...) but when they play it they go "ooooh"...maybe.

Eyes of the beholder etc but I think that retro look is class! The lines of the scratch plate are just right. Far better, IMO, than those scrolly bits of hardwood with horns all over the place that a lot of folks favour.

Edited by Paul S