Why become a member? ×

1 in 1 Out And An Argument No Doubt!!

J3ster

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='704712' date='Jan 7 2010, 08:22 PM']as is Christopher wolst.... wolsen... wolsethen..... uh

this guy.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7la0SndoCI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7la0SndoCI[/url][/quote]

I've only recently got into Muse, I'd stupidly written them off previously as Radiohead rip off merchant's (I can be a monumental idiot). I don't know if he's over or underrated but Chris Wolstenholme has really changed the way I regard changing sound and tone of bass. I like his playing I like what he does, although I wish he didn't have to make it look so effortless.

When I first read the OP's first comments, I thought John Taylor underrated bass player? he's boll0cks. But then I realised I have never actually listened to his playing so couldn't possibly come to such a ridiculous conclusion. As for the Wooten's of this world - massively talented. His solo projects do little for me though. I respect what he has done for bass, but I don't like the music he plays. So as to whether he or someone like Miller or Clarke are overrated I shall sit on my fence and say I don't know.

Someone who I think is always overlooked and overshadow by others of his time is Andy Fraser from Free. I started listening to Free earlier this year just as I picked up the bass again and really enjoy his laid back slightly funky playing. He does though somewhat get overshadowed by the likes of John Paul Jones, Entwhistle and Jack Bruce.

Edited by Marvin

Enjoying the shout outs for Caleb Schofield and Scott Reeder, both of them fitted perfectly into their respective bands. I've wanted a grabber since I saw Schofield playing one! I heard Demon Cleaner for the first time in a while the other day too, soooo good!

I'll opt for Dan Andriano from Alkaline Trio, he's played some really nice lines over the years as well as being a great singer and songwriter. I recall 'borrowing' a few of his lines for one of my old bands...

I don't think I really dislike any bass players that much, I've always steered a bit clear of all the twiddly stuff though. I like to think it's because I like 'songs', but it's probably just because I can't do it.

Edited by flip

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='703363' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:00 PM']can I go again?

+
Lemmy - anyone who's drunk as much as Lemmy must be teh mostest rock nr oll eva!

-
Jamerson - what's with all that boring 1-finger stuff? Would've done better with a nice modern active bass.[/quote]

*Tries to bite tongue*

I'll be absolutely wasted at the next gig I play, but it'll be fine, there's a 9V battery in my bass.

Jeez, I've just discovered this thread and it's initial comment about Wooten. Well, it's no secret that the forum is divided with Vic, and I appreciate everyone's opinion, but this quote:

"I'm not saying he is rubbish that would be stupid but seriously I do not really even consider him a Bass player in the true sense of the word and if anything I think he is more Technique than Talent. He has opened our eyes to different ways of playing (most of which he just brought to the masses but was not doing first) but most of what he does is a nonsensicle mass of self indulgence that if you saw in a pub you would smirk at. Any number of us can flap our hands over the strings and fretboard and recreate our own wooton wood whack but one of the best Bassists in the world.. Whatever"

This has got to be the most moronic opinion ever from someone whom - correct me if I'm wrong - I gather has only ever watched the YouTube clips.

It's just bloody sad.

[quote name='SteveK' post='703883' date='Jan 7 2010, 10:19 AM']Okay, no sniggering though [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3Usn3mFgI"]Embarrassing clip[/url][/quote]

I'm not sniggering at someone who's achieved more than me.

Good hip swinging.
:)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='705647' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:05 PM']Jeez, I've just discovered this thread and it's initial comment about Wooten. Well, it's no secret that the forum is divided with Vic, and I appreciate everyone's opinion, but this quote:

"I'm not saying he is rubbish that would be stupid but seriously I do not really even consider him a Bass player in the true sense of the word and if anything I think he is more Technique than Talent. He has opened our eyes to different ways of playing (most of which he just brought to the masses but was not doing first) but most of what he does is a nonsensicle mass of self indulgence that if you saw in a pub you would smirk at. Any number of us can flap our hands over the strings and fretboard and recreate our own wooton wood whack but one of the best Bassists in the world.. Whatever"

This has got to be the most moronic opinion ever from someone whom - correct me if I'm wrong - I gather has only ever watched the YouTube clips.

It's just bloody sad.[/quote]

You should actually be ashamed.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='705659' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:13 PM']You should actually be ashamed.[/quote]

If you justified your Opinion!!! with something tangible then maybe I would actually be ashamed.. A great Bass line in a song wooton has played maybe? something catchie and thoughtful, something I can actually listen to for more than 2 minutes, something dare I say!!! I can tappity tap my feet too.. Forgive me for not thinking playing at silly speeds on the Bass something someone should be world reknown for but for me (personally as an opinion) That's Not Bass Playing (which Is what I am judging my - oops I said it again Opinion!! on)
Maybe then I would change my Opinion!!

Surely lots people on here base there opinions of bands/singers/Bassists!! on what they have seen on Utube?

I'm not having a go at you or trying to start a personal war but - Moronic - Bless

Oh how ashamed I should be!!

Edited by J3ster

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='705681' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:24 PM']Damn I ran out of popcorn. I'm going to the shop. Anyone want anything?[/quote]

it's friday...maybe we should all chip in and get some more beers.

oh, and a few pinches of salt - i reckon some people could do with them :)

[quote name='J3ster' post='705672' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:19 PM']If you justified your Opinion!!! with something tangible then maybe I would actually be ashamed.. A great Bass line in a song wooton has played maybe? something catchie and thoughtful, something I can actually listen to for more than 2 minutes, something dare I say!!! I can tappity tap my feet too.. Forgive me for not thinking playing at silly speeds on the Bass something someone should be world reknown for but for me (personally as an opinion) That's Not Bass Playing (which Is what I am judging my - oops I said it again Opinion!! on)
Maybe then I would change my Opinion!!

Surely lots people on here base there opinions of bands/singers/Bassists!! on what they have seen on Utube?

I'm not having a go at you or trying to start a personal war but - Moronic - Bless

Oh how ashamed I should be!![/quote]

Re-read the comment you made, then try to find as much Vic as you can, not the YT stuff, but the album material. Personal opinions are OK, but in my
"opinion" you made yourself look like a dickhead.

I'm off to a gig.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='705706' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:44 PM']Re-read the comment you made, then try to find as much Vic as you can, not the YT stuff, but the album material. Personal opinions are OK, but in my
"opinion" you made yourself look like a dickhead.

I'm off to a gig.[/quote]

Very informative - thank you.

Have a good gig

[quote name='J3ster' post='705709' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:46 PM']Very informative - thank you.

Have a good gig[/quote]
Whatever you think of Petes little rant, you surely can see that it's piss poor to sum up a persons output on a few vid clips and then publicly decry them in an open forum. Most importantly for you I think is the short shrift your opinions will be given in future if you are prepared to be so condemning of a guy that you don't know and have not really looked into. Vic has done some really lovely playing without the solo bass thing happening at all, he has a great feel and is very musical. I'm not really switched on by the lead bass thing, but I respect what the guys who do it have achieved.

On the subject of Wooten....As I've said before,you don't get to tour and record with guys like Mike Stern and Chick Corea if
you don't have some serious groove going on. Unfortunately, once again,the technique is being noticed over the music. There is some great
music and groove in his work with the Flecktones and on his solo albums-but not on youtube.
I don't like all the chops video's that are all over the web,but I dig his playing when he's laying it down.

I'd love to see the size of the sandwiches in that picnic basket. :)