Why become a member? ×

best 12" cab for rock ?

sifi2112

I've only really any experience of the Epi ul112 - a lovely smooth response and very full bottom end - very good for finger style funk and jazz. If you're using just one, I wouldn't push it too hard. I'm not sure that on its own it would make a great rock cab, especially in a loud band. A pair might be able to cope.

I'm using two Purple Chili PC112's with a TC Electronics RH450 and love this set up. Again, a very full bottom end. I put mine on a short Hi Fi stand to give me a bit more control and that works great, as well as putting them at (my) ear level. The big, big plus for the Purple Chili cabs is their weight - 28lbs each in old money. Ridiculously light but beautifully made and finished too.

I'm using Aguilar GS112 at the moment - very nice. I haven't tried the DB series - from here I understand that the GS are a little more mid scooped - I'm a slapper so that appealed - but when rocking I just adjust the tone on the bass a little and get on with it!

I am wondering if I should trade in the GS112 and get a monster Epi UL410 though. Might be a bit silly as I'm not in a band at the moment!

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='700649' date='Jan 4 2010, 05:00 PM']What about the Barefaced Midget? It seems to be voiced well for rock.[/quote]
I've been messing about with the Eminence driver used in this cab. It's very good, and I'd expect the Midget to be very good also.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='700902' date='Jan 4 2010, 08:16 PM']1x12 will do just fine if your head has a DI for the PA.[/quote]
Why not just DI then if there is going to be monitors? And besides, I can barely hear myself if using a single 12.

Has anyone used a Midget on it's own at a gig then?