Why become a member? ×

London region bash 2010

essexbasscat

[quote name='51m0n' post='878602' date='Jun 27 2010, 08:21 AM']Chaps,

Really really sorry but for some reason my body has decided to be very (read disgustingly) ill for the last 14 hours. No idea what brought this on.

I wanted to see if things had progressed this morning or not, and they haven't. So I'm afraid Plux and I wont make it after all (I wouldnt get to the end of my road, let alone London!).

Have a lovely time all of you![/quote]
Hope you'll get better soon mate! I was really looking forward to meeting the god of gear and getting some tips on the compressors!

just got back from a very enjoyable few hours with the london bassmeet people.

firstly - a big thanks to everyone who helped, esp to those who helped with the food...got knows how they managed it in the heat of the afternoon !

played some lovely basses, met some great people and had the pleasure of bernie goodfellow giving my sabre the once over.

ok....some pics !!

firstly, wayne (without whom i would not have been there !) torn between a baked spud and his fretless

dan and wayne

bernie and his rapt audience

advice on neck relief

two cool rockers with a trouser-flapping rig

tim and his babies

and finally - yours truly, very much confused by the combination of no frets and 6 strings !!

Edited by ahpook

Not long back in myself - cooling off in front of a nice fan at the mo.

An enormous thankyou to Dan (Dannybuoy) & JerryB for the near-last-minute lift offer - without that I'd still be sweltering on trains & buses. Dan, I owe you a pint or three at some point.

An equally enormous thanks to Essex & Netball for putting the whole show together, laying on the refreshments and churning out baked spuds.

& lastly to Bernie Goodfellow for lifting the veil somewhat on the Arcane & Dark Art of setups - strength to his elbow.

So... high points?

Dannybuoy's Orange Terror (if the Superfly ever goes titzup, that's the replacement I reckon), JackLondon's GK & Barefaced rig (yes, Barefaced [i]are[/i] really good - fact.), but the star prize must go to Wayne's frankly dreadful 'Encore' freebie-fretless. Absolutely devastatingly awesome! I will never say a bad word about Encore ever again - Wayne, that is a monstrous bass!

And, as ever, a superb turnout of thorughly decent chaps & a cracking range of gear - a pleasure to make your acquaintances guys.

Low points?

None. Not one. Pas de saussicon. Nicht Bradwurst.

Right. When's the next one?

Pete.

I was only able to be there for about 90 minutes but really well done to the organizers (essexbasscat etc) Was great chatting to people and slavering over their lovely gear. My fave had to be molan's green Willie Weeks Alleva. Great talk from Bernie Goodfellow too.

Just got in myself (well, just after 6:00pm - traffic was [i]unbelievably[/i] light for some reason :rolleyes: )

Pictures to follow - if there are any good one's on my phone, I'll post them up here.

Great to meet up with some BC regulars - in the flesh, plus old acquaintances from the SE bash last year (Silddx, Stingray5 etc)

Nice day out. Great basses. Great talk. Great peeps :). Big thanks to EssexBassCat + Bernie G - ta, matey!! And the baked spuds were top-notch. Cheers!!

Ian

[quote name='JackLondon' post='879082' date='Jun 27 2010, 06:48 PM']It depends what you've heard... not so great for me :)[/quote]
I presume you are referring to his highlighting some problems in the neck of your Simnett? Maybe the Gallery can do a fret stone and sort it out? Probably better to know than not, and I guess he did get it playing better than it did before.

[quote name='Clarky' post='879086' date='Jun 27 2010, 06:53 PM']I presume you are referring to his highlighting some problems in the neck of your Simnett? Maybe the Gallery can do a fret stone and sort it out? Probably better to know than not, and I guess he did get it playing better than it did before.[/quote]

yeah, good luck with that jack...not great news, but i think clarky's right. it is best to know.

[quote name='Clarky' post='879086' date='Jun 27 2010, 06:53 PM']Maybe the Gallery can do a fret stone and sort it out?[/quote]

That's a really good point Clarky - my '78J had what I thought was a bit of a dodgy neck and Martin stoned it & it was like a different world when it came back :)

Another big thanks to EssexBC & the mighty NetballMan for all their hard work!

Enjoyed meeting everyone & putting some faces to names & trying some new basses :)

I think my highlight was watching Urb on his Sei through the RC2 Looper :rolleyes:

Also listening to Urb & Ari playing a couple of my basses and making them sound so much better than they ever will in my hands, lol.

A right fine day, even in the sweltering heat. Some fabulous gear, thanks to Essex for arranging it, it was obvious a lot of work had gone into it. Good on you Tom! Highlight for me was Oggy's immaculate SG - great classic bass, and having my jazz substantially improved by BG. Back next year, unfortunately probably with an SG as well! Terrible gas..... :)

Hi everyone and a big THANK YOU to everyone that attended :) :rolleyes: At last, the chance to meet the people !

Firstly,

My gratitude and appreciation for;

[b]Barrie (molan[/b], with help in arranging the venue and liason with everyone involved over recent weeks. It couldn't have happened without you. Deeply appreciated. There are simply too many things to say thank you for.
By the way, your collection of really nice basses today was simply astonishing. Would I be correct in saying you bought along more basses than Bernie ?

[b]Andy (netballman) [/b], My right arm today. Don't know how I could have coped without you. You are an absolute star, my friend.

[b]Jack (cirrus)[/b] always there to help with everything. Again, you were invaluable today.

[b]Bernie Goodfellow[/b], who came all the way from Brighton to be with us today, bringing two rigs, 6 or 7 basses and a range of pedals for everyone to try out.
His talk on setting up basses and truss rods was informative and entertaining. Not a happy ending for everyone though, as some things came to light in the process. It really did highlight the skills of the luthier. Bernie was also kind enough to set up some individual basses for BC'ers, free of charge.
I hope Bernie will be good enough to join us again in the future.

[b]Mike (urb)[/b] a big thank you for some tips on advanced finger picking. Wish I was that skilled. Great to meet you at last. Mike offered his help in the early days of this bash and it was always reassuring to know that someone with his experience was there.
Also, thank you for bringing along Ari from France. He can surely claim the record for the greatest distance travelled to be there on the day.

Also, a big thank you to Alistair (Thunderbird 13) who couldn't be with us today. His support in the early days of getting this thing together was really appreciated. When it seemed like the whole thing was going nowhere, Alistair was there with a boost.

A big thank you to Pete (bloodaxe) for his involvement in the decision process along the way and his ongoing support.

If I havn't mentioned anyone here, it's no indication of anything other than I'm just tired at the moment. To everyone that has been involved at any stage - thank you.

The whole thing really has been a learning process. One thing for sure, If I'm involved with next year's London bash, it will be in a cooler month than June if I can help it !!

I would just like to say it was great to meet you all at last and give you all a big thank you for making it a generally good day. Forgive me if I don't name you all individually for now, but it's the end of what has been a very long weekend.

Strength to you all :lol:

Tom

Edited by essexbasscat

Was lovely to see meet a good number of you guys - big thanks to Ari for the lift we left during the second half of 'the match' and the roads were wondefully quiet! Molan's basses were the highlight for me loved the Cylindar and the custom Sadowsky just lovely - it was a bit hot but overall very enjoyable - nice work and well done to all who organized things.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='879153' date='Jun 27 2010, 07:53 PM']Was lovely to see meet a good number of you guys - big thanks to Ari for the lift we left during the second half of 'the match' and the roads were wondefully quiet! Molan's basses were the highlight for me loved the Cylindar and the custom Sadowsky just lovely - it was a bit hot but overall very enjoyable - nice work and well done to all who organized things.

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Isn't that true, from Tottenham to Faversham in an hour and 10.

A massive thank you for our organisers who provided us with some fine food and great place.

Great things for me :

Playing the most amazing wah-wah in the world, this thing is insane and my GAS is all fired up again.

Seeing that some people have more basses than me so I can tell my missus there are worse offenders :)

Bernie from GB being a nice chap to chat with and actually helping all of us to realise what is what.

Playing 2 GB Rumour 6-strings - WOW just WOW.

Seeing the rig of doom that was parked next to me :rolleyes:

Not so great :

Bloody hot weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='JackLondon' post='879156' date='Jun 27 2010, 07:58 PM']A massive thank you for our organisers who provided us with some fine food and great place.

Great things for me :

Playing the most amazing wah-wah in the world, this thing is insane and my GAS is all fired up again.

Seeing that some people have more basses than me so I can tell my missus there are worse offenders :rolleyes:

Bernie from GB being a nice chap to chat with and actually helping all of us to realise what is what.

Playing 2 GB Rumour 6-strings - WOW just WOW.

Seeing the rig of doom that was parked next to me :lol:

Not so great :

Bloody hot weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

And you said you were GAS free when you came in !!!! :)

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='879147' date='Jun 27 2010, 07:50 PM'][b]Bernie Goodfellow[/b], who came all the way from Brighton to be with us today, bringing two rigs, 6 or 7 basses and a range of pedals for everyone to try out.
His talk on setting up basses and truss rods was informative and entertaining. Not a happy ending for everyone though, as some things came to light in the process. It really did highlight the skills of the luthier. Bernie was also kind enough to set up some individual basses for BC'ers, free of charge.
I hope Bernie will be good enough to join us again in the future.[/quote]

plus the one.

charming guy, very knowledgeable and very generous with his time.

let's hope we see him next time around.

Edited by ahpook

Phew, I'm all showered and pizza-ed(!) up and have come back down to planet Earth after what was an excellent day on planet Basschat (Friern Barnet division). :)
Huge thanks of course to Tom (Essexbasscat) and Andy (Netballman) for the organizing and it was also good to meet with fellow BCers old and new.
Massive thanks also to Bernie Goodfellow for coming along with a whole bunch of his basses -- including No.1! -- not to mention the EBS amps/cabs/fx he distributes.
Not only that, Bernie also gave us a very interesting and comical talk on his truss-rods(!) after which he offered to set up any basses, at which point an orderly queue promptly formed! :rolleyes:
I'm going off to check out the pics I took and will aim to get them on here asap.