Why become a member? ×

Spector Announce "Jazz" Bass

Sean

Nothing radically new about this instrument and it seems like a bit of a retrograde step with product development but I suppose it says it all for the popularity of J basses. It'll have to be pretty special if it's going to compete with the other Super-J basses on the market but knowing Spector the build quality will be unbeatable.

It's got an interesting headstock and the tangerine colour looks great.

[url="http://www.spectorworld.com/Coda.htm"]http://www.spectorworld.com/Coda.htm[/url]

Spector have also released a range called the [url="http://www.spectorworld.com/forte.htm"]Forte[/url], which they say is a no frills US Spector in a black oiled finish, no inlays, no options. Very RAWK and for the snobs you get a US built instrument at Euro prices. :snob:

Edited by Sean

I'm sure it'll be fantastic quality, but what the world does not need is more Jazz copies. It's a saturated market and no-one has to scratch around finding a high quality Jazz bass. I'd be more interested to see them coming out with something SOUNDING like a Jazz but with a less carbon copy design.

[quote name='Machines' post='698283' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:24 PM']I'm sure it'll be fantastic quality, but what the world does not need is more Jazz copies. It's a saturated market and no-one has to scratch around finding a high quality Jazz- bass. I'd be more interested to see them coming out with something SOUNDING like a Jazz but with a less carbon copy design.[/quote]

I agree. What I'd like to see Spector do is to come out with a new shape and also address the top fret access by making something with a deeper cutaway. I'm a little bit disappointed to see Spector doing a "me too" product. Hopefully there's something a bit more innovative round the corner.

It's like a public admission that Spector doesn't have enough faith in its own products. I'm sure Spector already know there are lots of jazz basses out there but, apart from taking advantage of any brand loyalty in current spector owners, I'm at a loss to understand where the added value is.

Maybe the profit margins on these instruments are so good (with the uncomplicated hardware, popularity and relatively low construction costs) that manufacturers can't resist the temptation.

I think Spector Jazzes are unnecessary but we all know how popular Jazz derivatives are are despite their stunted development curve.

I blame all the duffers who can't see beyond all things J for leading Spector in this direction to develop their market.

:)

I suppose what I'm really saying is that conservatism is the cause of such a move.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Machines' post='698283' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:24 PM']I'm sure it'll be fantastic quality, but what the world does not need is more Jazz copies. It's a saturated market and no-one has to scratch around finding a high quality Jazz bass. I'd be more interested to see them coming out with something SOUNDING like a Jazz but with a less carbon copy design.[/quote]

+1,000,000

WoW! Two days ago we made a photo of friend's Rebop with P-bass "ashtrays" pickup cover.
We thought our idea of Spender / Fector was first and we could make a fortune... we were wrong :) Goodbye fortune ;(
I'll post the pic soon :rolleyes:

as a side point, the headstock design is weak, and the truss rod cover looks like a kay from the 70's.
I used to have an ns-94, but got rid as it was too 'modern' for my bands image, the name of the link got me excited, but now i'm just a bit confused.
The logo looks 'placed' on, it just hasn't been thought through.

Still, $3200 eh? BARGAIN!

[quote name='rjb' post='698546' date='Jan 2 2010, 08:48 AM']The current fashion for vintage designs must be having an effect, I guess.

I wonder if the pendulum will swing back in the next decade? Will we see skinny guys in indie bands playing Warwicks and Statii? :)[/quote]

skinny guys form laptop bands these days, don't they ?

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='698734' date='Jan 2 2010, 01:58 PM']as a side point, the headstock design is weak, and the truss rod cover looks like a kay from the 70's.
I used to have an ns-94, but got rid as it was too 'modern' for my bands image, the name of the link got me excited, but now i'm just a bit confused.
The logo looks 'placed' on, it just hasn't been thought through.

Still, $3200 eh? BARGAIN![/quote]

You beat me to it, my sentiments exactly, the headstock and logo looks awful.

The world may not 'need' any more J shaped basses but it does seem that the world does actually want a J shaped bass. lol.

As an example of this I put three really nice basses up for sale last night:

MTD 535 in spalted maple

Shuker Elite custom bolt-on 5 with really lovely woods & finish

Overwater J 5 in aged white

I've had some interest in all three but the overwhelming favourite has been the Overwater J for which I've already had several serious offers.

Now it could be because the OW is the lowest priced of the three at £1,000 but I'm guessing that it's simply because it's a J bass and everyone likes a J, lol.

Here's a Coda in black:

Edited by molan

Look, enough of Spector trying to do a Lakland copy, Fender can't even manage that with all their money...

Everyone makes mistakes, let's hope this isn't one [i]and[/i] they learn what we want from a Spector.

...let's have a picture of National Treasure, John East with my Euro 5LX. It should make Barrie all warm too cos it used to be his bass.

[quote name='Sean' post='698280' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:20 PM']Spector have also released a range called the [url="http://www.spectorworld.com/forte.htm"]Forte[/url], which they say is a no frills US Spector in a black oiled finish, no inlays, no options. Very RAWK and for the snobs you get a US built instrument at Euro prices. :snob:[/quote]

What did anyone make of the Forte stuff?

If they do that forte in trans blue, i'm all over it.
Black is a bit too rawk for me.

Spector is an odd brand, they seem to have a big and loyal following, but also seem to be 'out of fashion'. I can't figure it out.

I think the forte is a winner, more plain designs, less gold hardware, less 'disease of the week' wood. Unsure if your local indie bad bassist will swap his Burns Bison for one, but i think it's a step in the right dirction.