Why become a member? ×

Reggae Guaranteed Floor Fillers?

OldGit

I've got a new reggae band possibly happening in the New Year so I'm looking for tracks to play that really work. We have the "floor fillers" thread for pop/rock etc [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=8685&view=findpost&p=90010"]here[/url] but I'm looking for the reggae ones.

Complete sets for reggae bands would be good as well.
Chuck in your ska top tracks too if you like though this project is decidedly more reggae than ska

Thanks

are you familiar with riddims etc....

Ba Ba Boom Riddim is cool...which version you follow is up to you.

Picture on the Wall by various..

Rat in my kitchen, ub40's

Johnny to bad Riddim, various

Declaration of rights riddim

Master Blaster Stevie Wonder...great bass, i always loved playing the bass solo in this

Probably a bit obvious but any of Bob Marley's singles.

Suppose it depends on the kind of reggae band it's going to be. If for general audiences, you might consider 'reggae-influenced' stuff like (ahem) Dreadlock Holiday, Bed's Too Big Without You, I Can See Clearly Now, I Got You Babe (UB40 / Hynde), etc.

If this band is aimed at a more -er - 'knowledgeable' audience (is there a Reggae police?) scratch the above.

Edited by skankdelvar

Brethren Redstriper is also a great reggae player too...calling ya in bro :)
Well...lets talk reggae haha....the belly of the riddim!
My humble opinion on this is probably somewhat fragmented as I believe that any 'irie' reggae played well will get the people on the dance floor...but the reggae covers band i play with has opinions that are divided on this viewpoint. So we generally go for a mixture of classics peppered with the odd modern version take on a classic riddim. For example we play BMW's 'Waiting in Vain' but we also play it through to General Degree's version 'Almighty God' on that same riddim. Now i guess most of crowds will know the BMW original but not heard the General Degree one...but the people still dance and like the tension of difference...and at the same time we give a reggae education in little chunks...kinda shows we like our reggae too- and its always a good sign to see a Rasta or two on the dancefloor... seen :lol: .
But equally the set is balanced by crowd pleasers to associate the crowd with the dance floor for example Madness, UB40 , BMW etc, so guaranteed floor fillers is a bit more strategic than simply playing our favourite tune. To be a good reggae covers band appealing to all audiences can often require a spectrum of reggae genre's to include Dancehall, Ska, Dub, Roots, Ragga, Lovers etc etc but i guess that also depends the venues your seeking (nothing like a Sunday morning hangover dub set at a Southwest sunshine festival with farting speakers and good Colly :lol:...but perhaps thats another band-irie ). I play with a few reggae band set ups, all very different , catering for different venues from Weddings, clubs, recording sessions to European reggae festivals. But typically weddings, pubs, clubs etc i would say having a good Ska contribution is a must... people like to dance and like that upbeat to get them started...i'm not a big fan of the 'modern ska' covers I play but they do go down well such as Madness 'Night boat to Cairo' or Bad Manners 'Lip up fatty' (dedicated to my beer belly) and one the crowd really love is Ghost town (interesting bass on that one).
As my good buddy Bubinga said checking out some riddims is also a good place to start for some real education...classics like Stalag, Sleng Teng, Answer riddim, Real Rock are a good place to start.....but don't get too bogged down with riddims unless you want to play real classics, versions or modern sets (i.e. Capleton, Sizzla etc)...i occasionally play with a Rastaman called MC Goldman and will get through about 20-30 riddims in an hour....equally i can be playing the Answer riddim for half an hour with him having done several versions.......Puuuuullll uuuuppp & rewind.... depending what mood he is in :lol:

Our destroyed version of Taxi riddim (very easy) i did with him, bass is a bit pants though :lol: (bloody keyboard player-nuff said-choirs eh?) [url="http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2165105"]http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2165105[/url]
This is a good riddim finder site:

[url="http://www.riddimbase.org/riddimbase.php"]http://www.riddimbase.org/riddimbase.php[/url]

Here also is a reggae tab site, sometimes a pointer in the right direction but often the tabs are totally wrong-ears are best unless your deaf like me, in which case big speakers & loud rig is a must......

[url="http://www.broz-reggae-tabs.com/tablatures/liste_artiste-en.php"]http://www.broz-reggae-tabs.com/tablatures..._artiste-en.php[/url]

Here is a an example of some tunes we do in the covers band....its not exhaustive by far.....we have something like 100's in the repertoire....but it may help a little. These tunes are generally played to pubs, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, Childrens parties :lol: etc

I'm sure people will think of loads of commercial tunes...but me....I'm roots man...but its all reggae! :rolleyes:

Great thread....more reggae discussion!!!!

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rayman' post='692120' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:55 AM']Too much Too Young by the Specials. Not exactly reggae, but it fills the floor every time. Excellent list from Rasta, that's given me some [b]food for thought[/b] too.[/quote]
Hummmmmmm Not sure I want to do UB40 ones :)

[quote name='Rasta' post='692201' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:30 AM']jus can't stick Ali C's voice-good crowd pleasers though.[/quote]

Me too - it makes me feel positively ill every time I hear that horrible whine of his!

I'm very much a 70's roots / dub / lovers man so a lot of the stuff I like is going to be quite obscure - how about Junior Murvin, Police & Thieves?

Helps that you can use the Clash version as a start point as well - in fact, check any of the Clash reggae songs for simple 'white boy' arrangements.

[quote name='OldGit' post='691875' date='Dec 22 2009, 09:36 PM']I've got a new reggae band possibly happening in the New Year so I'm looking for tracks to play that really work. We have the "floor fillers" thread for pop/rock etc [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=8685&view=findpost&p=90010"]here[/url] but I'm looking for the reggae ones.
Complete sets for reggae bands would be good as well.
Chuck in your ska top tracks too if you like though this project is decidedly more reggae than ska
Thanks[/quote]

"Return to Django" by the Upsettters. Oh, I'm old.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='692236' date='Dec 23 2009, 12:08 PM']"Return to Django" by the Upsettters. Oh, I'm old.

Balcro.[/quote]

Ha ha
Oh yes!

I have about 4 yards of reggae CD's and the first half are the UK hits from that era 'cos I'm old too :)

So the Trojan boxed sets, Young Gifted and Black series and various Ska hits compilations are already providing set ideas.

However I am not that confident that what gets my hips moving is what will work on a contemporary general audience so this is the point of the post;
Actual empirical research results from working bands :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to jump over the "I wonder if this will work" part to the "this works fine for Rasta so should be fine here too" stage.. :lol:

I forgot this by Marcia Aitken - I just luuuuuve this song!

I was in JA a couple of years ago and just about every band we saw played this & it filled the floor every time :)

Obviously this riddim has been used a hell of a lot - I guess for the UK it's most remembered for Althea & Donna's Uptown Top Ranking.

This is the long version with someone toasting at the end (I'm guessing Trinity?).

I always wondered what a pair of "earthman shoes" was and how they looked with some "diamond socks", lol

Of course - with the advent of the interweb I've just looked them up:

Edited by molan

Or some Culture?

Ok - so this probably wouldn't work but I love Gregory as well :)

Listen through to the dub section at the end:

Talking of dub, my favourite reggae drum sounds are here. . .

One of my other favourite 12"ers. This cost me £4.25 from Daddy Kool when I moved to London in '78. Pretty much all of my student grant found it's way into Mr Kool's coffers, lol.

Africa is a land of love, we don't have to wear no boxing glove. . .

Anyway, I'll get me coat now :rolleyes:

Edited by molan

I've never been in a covers band, but if I did I would consider the following as floor fillers :

Good thing going - Sugar Minott
OK Fred - Errol Dunkley
54-46 - Toots and the Maytals
Money in my Pocket - Dennis Brown
Johnny B Goode - Peter Tosh
Could you be Loved - Bob Marley
Jammin - Bob Marley
Get up Stand up - Bob Marley
I Shot the sherrif - Bob Marley
I can see clearly now - Jimmy Cliff
Born for a purpose - Dr Alimantado
No No No - Dawn Penn
007 - Desmond decker
Israelites - Desmond Decker
Gun Of Navarone - The Skatalites (Brass / Instrumental)
Beds too Big Without you - Shiela Hylton
Red Red Wine - UB40
Easy - Jimmy Lindsey
Girlie Girlie - Sophia George
Im in a Dancing Mood - Delroy Wilson
Under Mi Sensi - Barrington Levi
Pass the Kutchie - The Mighty Diamonds

2-Tone :
One Step Beyond - Madness
Gangsters - The Specials

I could go on ........

One Love

Dubby

[quote name='molan' post='692264' date='Dec 23 2009, 12:37 PM']I forgot this by Marcia Aitken - I just luuuuuve this song!

I was in JA a couple of years ago and just about every band we saw played this & it filled the floor every time :)

Obviously this riddim has been used a hell of a lot - I guess for the UK it's most remembered for Althea & Donna's Uptown Top Ranking.

This is the long version with someone toasting at the end (I'm guessing Trinity?).

I always wondered what a pair of "earthman shoes" was and how they looked with some "diamond socks", lol

Of course - with the advent of the interweb I've just looked them up:

[/quote]

Oh yes a Hotty !

Uptown top ranking = 'I'm still love with you' riddim - Classic

King Tubby Rockers uptown, great riddim too (original Jacob Miller-Baby i love you so [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eahey6oHst0&feature=PlayList&p=0D2F0B1B521440F0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=29"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eahey6oHst0...PL&index=29[/url] )

Good list Dubby, I've played a lot of them tunes - Could you be loved is great fun, great to jam out on too...in fact i'd recommend learning the entire Legend album to anyone and many others BMW tunes...Familyman is a great melodic player indeed.

Culture......a must...one of my favs! Great B-line, Legalization [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX176vIJyKM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX176vIJyKM[/url]

Bless up Joseph Hill every time :)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='dubby' post='692324' date='Dec 23 2009, 01:38 PM']I could go on ........

One Love

Dubby[/quote]

Oh please do ..

How do you handle the riddim thing? For the general public I guess you have to stick to the versions that are well known or do you pile in and hope they catch on and don't think you are playing it wrong :)

There's lots of my favourites on your list (and the others)
No no no and uptown top ranking are certainly in (even though at this point we don't anticipate having a female singer.)

Planning to play someof the Easy Star All Stars re-visioning tracks too, Dub Side of The Moon but probably not the Sergeant Pepper ones which I don't think work nearly as well.

What about reggaefied contemporary hits? Do you do any of that?

Edited by OldGit