Why become a member? ×

Promo pictures

Basska

Well basically,
I need to take some promo pictures of me and my bass. I was just looking for a BC perspective on the subject.

What catches your eye when you see a picture of a bassist (apart from the bass of course haha)
and what do you feel makes you interested in finding out who that bassist is after seeing the picture

Example
The japanese dude who plays bass dressed as a woman in that video
Answer (to me anyway)
seen a dude dressed as a woman playing a bass and i thought i'd see if he was any good

What do you think Bass Chat?

Chris

Something, ANYTHING different to the usual. Nothing moody, nothing stood with your legs far apart and your arms crossed.

Just try and avoid those cliches and do something different - inject a bit of humour into it too...it'll make you stand out against a crowd of poseurs.

I think its pretty impossible to be different these days or original. You either end up looking stupid, unfunny, with a big ego or trying to hard. So your probably better off sticking to something classic and making sure its done very well with a good photographer. I know thats probably not much help but I would just try and avoid trying to be different and standing out as you run the risk of looking stupid.

Yeah you can't beat a good portrait of yourself with the bass, maybe black and white, maybe head and shoulders, and most importantly with a smile on your face. I don't care if it's for a death metal band or a jazz band, the other guys in the band will need to like the look of you first and foremost, so a smile will do it every time for me, I can't stand the mean and moody look.

[quote name='Basska' post='686672' date='Dec 16 2009, 06:58 PM']Well basically,
I need to take some promo pictures of me and my bass. I was just looking for a BC perspective on the subject.

What catches your eye when you see a picture of a bassist (apart from the bass of course haha)
and what do you feel makes you interested in finding out who that bassist is after seeing the picture

Example
The japanese dude who plays bass dressed as a woman in that video
Answer (to me anyway)
seen a dude dressed as a woman playing a bass and i thought i'd see if he was any good

What do you think Bass Chat?

Chris[/quote]

What is it for? That determins the best thing to do.

Is this website for you as an individual or part of a band site?

That guy in the dress is funny and, great player that he is, I'd probably not call him first for a session.

Edited by OldGit

For me it has to be a live shot. There is nothing worse than a musician walking through a field with an electric instrument. Bass is what you do (we do!) and a well taken live shot says it all. It can be posed and yet look natural. I agree with Rayman too. I think being funny can be a bit dangerous as it relies on your audience to all have the same sense of humour as you... and that may not be the case.

[quote name='OldGit' post='686726' date='Dec 16 2009, 07:48 PM']That guy in the dress is funny and, great player that he is, I'd probably not call him first for a session.[/quote]

Lol. Classic.

It's (as far as I know) to go on the Washburn website and possibly the Eden website.

Chris

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='686728' date='Dec 16 2009, 07:52 PM']For me it has to be a live shot. There is nothing worse than a musician walking through a field with an electric instrument. Bass is what you do (we do!) and a well taken live shot says it all. It can be posed and yet look natural. I agree with Rayman too. I think being funny can be a bit dangerous as it relies on your audience to all have the same sense of humour as you... and that may not be the case.[/quote]

+1. IMO all band/artist shots look a bit daft. just get decent live shots. like my playing less is more! don't worry about full detailed glorious shots off you and every peice of equipment you own in one frame.

Edited by William James Easton

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='687067' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:57 AM']Go into ANY working men's clubs,look at the posters,and DO'NT do anything like that.[/quote]

:)

Also for live shots just bear in mind the background. I've got some great shots with the Gents or a fire extinguisher in the background. Fine if they can be easily photoshopped out but otherwise you look amateur.

Live shots are usually the best! If you wanna get people to see you with the bass, aint it best that they see you actually using the damn thing instead of posing on top of a hill or some crap! lol.

Like has been said, Fish Eye lenses are great for shots like that. Make sure its a cool venue, not a local pub or something, looks a bit crap with a price list for carling in the background or a dartboard!

and what ever you choose to do, use a proper SLR / DSLR camera!!

You cant decide what sort of picture unless you know what you are trying to achieve
A pic for a Function Band is different to a Goth Band.
Is it to appeal to the general public, or a professional booker or record label who see it every day
are you lean and mean or fat fifty and bald

lol. I'm not at the sex,drugs and rock'n'roll stage (for the camera at least :lol: )

I'm a bassist in a Ska/Punk/Metal band who needs some PROMO (for those with the dodgy eyes :rolleyes:) pictures to go on (hopefully) the front of the Washburn website and or the David Eden website.

I'm 6'5, 15 stone with a full set of hair and (for fans of 'Hot Fuzz' "[b]a [i]great[/i] big bushy beard[/b]"

I'm the only person in this type of band that is an endorsee as well (everyone is rock/metal/country)
so I want to stand from my colleagues

Thanks for the help so far :)

Chris

Edited by Basska

[quote name='longtimefred' post='687180' date='Dec 17 2009, 11:47 AM']Live shots are usually the best! If you wanna get people to see you with the bass, aint it best that they see you actually using the damn thing instead of posing on top of a hill or some crap! lol.

Like has been said, Fish Eye lenses are great for shots like that. Make sure its a cool venue, not a local pub or something, looks a bit crap with a price list for carling in the background or a dartboard!

and what ever you choose to do, use a proper SLR / DSLR camera!![/quote]

Here's a good example, IMHO

:)

I can't find it but on a previous thread (possibly Band Image) some kind soul posted a link to some really bad band promo photos giving me much merriment. They might also give you some ideas of what not to do! :)

Edited to add:

Found it! [url="http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php"]http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php[/url]

Edited by HeavyJay