Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger Fans?

chriswilliams666

Hey Dude, I want an old 800RB. Do you know what year it is? I bet it sounds huge! If you ever wanna sell it let me know, or trade for my 700RB-II!

[quote name='casapete' post='681052' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:21 AM']Love GK amps - got a couple of them. 700 RB-11 and a 'vintage' 800RB.

The 700 is my main gigging amp which I've had for over two years with no problems whatsoever.
Its loud & sounds very 'musical' through a variety of cabinets. Its got great tone controls along with the boost facility
which gives a nice bit of growl too.
It is also a very manageable 16.5 lbs in a 2 rack space,so whilst not in the Markbass league still makes it an easy carry-in.

The 800 is just sublime, my fave amp head other than an SVT which I've always regretted selling.
It sounds very similar to the 700, just that bit more old school-y perhaps. Again,works well with most cabs-last night it was running
a 2x15 EV cab and really pumped the sound out great. Not quite as loud/versatile as the 700,but enough for a non-twiddler like me.

The guy who services my gear isn't a massive fan of GK stuff-says they are nothing special in the build dept, and I have to agree with previous
post re the dislike of plastic jack sockets which I believe is across the range (?). However, I've had no reliabilty probs with either amp over
the last few years, and think that the design of their stuff just works whatever!

Cheers.[/quote]

[quote name='Kirky' post='682153' date='Dec 12 2009, 08:45 AM']I have a 700RB 15" combo. I like it, but must admit its the only decent bass amp I've ever tried.

The tweeter stopped working a few months ago - doesn't affect my use because I go for a deep Motown thud when I play, but would be nice to get it sorted. [u]Anyone know any decent techs in North or West Yorkshire?[/u] Not sure whether its the tweeter or that part of the amp thats at fault - I had a look at the wiring and it looked solid.

Martin[/quote]

Hi Martin.

Perhaps someone here would know:

POLAR AUDIO LTD.

17 ALBERT DR.
BURGESS HILL
WEST SUSSEX RH15 9TN ENGLAND
01444-258258
01444-258444
[email protected]
www.polaraudio.co.uk

+1 on the need for 'PA components' in bass cabs.

I'm looking forward the the MB Fusion, though I expect it won't come cheap.

I have a 2001RB, and the comment that it can 'level small buildings' is an understatement. It can level lumbar vertebrae too.

And I've never heard bass overdrive one-tenth as good as the big GK's drive channel. So, brilliant, brilliant...but medium-strength gravitational field is a drawback.

Jon

[quote name='trent900' post='685237' date='Dec 15 2009, 02:43 PM']I'm looking forward the the MB Fusion, though I expect it won't come cheap.[/quote]

Soundslive appear to have one in stock @ £760. :) [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-Fusion-550~ID~8309.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~G...550~ID~8309.asp[/url]

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='683771' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:48 AM']Perhaps someone here would know:

POLAR AUDIO LTD.[/quote]

As far as I understand it, Polar Audio are a distributor of GK, so may not deal with your average "man on the street" direct. They may refer you back to where you purchased it, or a local retailer. However, it's worth a shot.

I know one of the guys at Polar and have pointed him to this thread, I'm sure they'll appreciate the comments - including the constructive criticism!

I always felt like GK would be the anti me tone but recently I was jamming through an MB150 at my techs and its a very nice amp much better than I remember when I tried one 5 or so years ago.

I also did an American tour with a 1001 and an Ampeg Fridge, now granted I used a Sansamp with it for the grit but, it was loud, punchy and very reliable .

I think when an MB150 pops up cheap second hand I'll pick one up as I have nothing that can be carried in one hand :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='685459' date='Dec 15 2009, 05:27 PM']Soundslive appear to have one in stock @ £760. :) [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-Fusion-550~ID~8309.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~G...550~ID~8309.asp[/url][/quote]

Noo...that's the Fusion 550...the GK website seems to suggest an MB2-500 / Fusion 550 hybrid called 'MB Fusion'. An ickle diddy GK with a valve input stage. Now that would be worth having.

Jon

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='683210' date='Dec 13 2009, 06:50 PM']Pics please. I want a late 80s 800RB. I bet it sounds great![/quote]Will get some pics over Xmas period .. tried it out last Monday at rehearsal thru 610 (6 Ohm) cab .. some pots a bit 'scratchy' .. but basically ran all knobs/controls at 12 o'clock ... easily loud enough to gig !! probably about 150w output (maual states 200w @ 8Ohm / 120w @ 4Ohm), think the 610 really helped with volume (even had to turn down!) .. will try it thru kappalite 3015 (8 Ohm) next time .. if it works out I might even sell my Tecamp puma 212 combo (only used once !). So far well impressed with little 400RB .. weighs 14lbs I believe .. not bad for 80's stuff !!

Si

• 2 months later...

I too have just got a Fusion 550(replacing my very old 700rb) and yes it does sound huge. i find its still got that gk growl in the tone but the valves can either fatten it up or make it even more grindy and the overdive you can get out of this is great just great. i play mostly rock/metal and with my tobias standard v it shakes the room with powerfull defined low end, but i also do enjoy some solo/chordal playing and backing of the gain, bass and low midd and playing with the contour switch and knob i can find some sweet tones that only tubes can give. the motorized knobs are i find more of a gimmick then anything else they are not for use mid song as the time delay between switching is a least a second, the amp does not mute while the knobs move so your tone can sound odd while it adjusts but some players may find a use for this., i tend to dial a tone in for the gig i'm doing then use my hands and on board pre for tonal adjustments, and if i want more drive i kick in one of my pedals. i suppose it's usefull if you are using two basses that have different outputs or one fretless and one fretted(i need to get some more basses i think).

In this age of micro amps, this amp is far from small or light but this just adds to the confidence it gives you, you know you have a piece of kit that will last, unlike some micro amps where i feel you have to be so carefule with them. This amp is built to work.

[quote name='Kirky' post='682153' date='Dec 12 2009, 01:45 PM']The tweeter stopped working a few months ago....[/quote]

You probably just need to replace one of the bulbs that GK use as tweeter fuses.
I believe Thomann(.de) sell them (along with most if not all the drivers)

[quote name='Stewart' post='757352' date='Feb 25 2010, 05:43 PM']You probably just need to replace one of the bulbs that GK use as tweeter fuses.
I believe Thomann(.de) sell them (along with most if not all the drivers)[/quote]

Or you can buy a bulb from Halfords. I had the same problem. It was like a car interior light bulb - same wattage just a fraction shorter.

• 3 months later...

Very similar, although i think the 800rb sounds tighter. More studio quality. I dont think the age would have made any difference, considering my 800rb is 14 years old. I now have the 2001rb, mainly cos i wanted more power then my original 700rbII and needed an on-board distortion. This sounds OK at rehearsal volumes, but INCREDIBLE at gigging volumes, this is when it sounds like an 800 on steroids. Ive only used the 800rb once in a live situation, as i only got it a week ago. Looking forward to many gigs with it.

[quote name='Etienne' post='854084' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:45 PM']Nice one mate! I'd love to try an 800RB out some time- how does the tone compare with the modern G-K heads (700/1001RB-II)?[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My NEO 210 finally turned up - Polar Audio flew it in from the US after I ordered it in the middle of March!

I actually ordered the cabs at the same time so it's a shame the badges don't match (there was a delay of about a month between delivery). I'll have to see if I can get a spare badge.

If anyone wants to hear her, she'll be making her public debut on Thursday night at the Water Rats with my band (http://www.myspace.com/earthhoursofficial)

Cheers,
Doug

[quote name='didle' post='893776' date='Jul 13 2010, 02:44 PM']My NEO 210 finally turned up - Polar Audio flew it in from the US after I ordered it in the middle of March!

I actually ordered the cabs at the same time so it's a shame the badges don't match (there was a delay of about a month between delivery). I'll have to see if I can get a spare badge.

If anyone wants to hear her, she'll be making her public debut on Thursday night at the Water Rats with my band (http://www.myspace.com/earthhoursofficial)

Cheers,
Doug[/quote]

Contact GK and they will ship another badge. Ive seen this sorted out over on Talkbass before as well. Seem like good guys to deal with.