Why become a member? ×

'72 Jazz in Music Ground Leeds

waynepunkdude

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='677688' date='Dec 8 2009, 11:25 AM']Oh, right.. I read it as meaning £1799 more that what he thought it was worth.

In that case, that's bloomin' cheap for a '72J from Music Ground. What's the catch?[/quote]

I don't know, I'm no expert in vintages and wouldn't know what it's worth, it's not a looker but it's heaven to play.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='677688' date='Dec 8 2009, 11:25 AM']Oh, right.. I read it as meaning £1799 more that what he thought it was worth.

In that case, that's bloomin' cheap for a '72J from Music Ground. What's the catch?[/quote]

Wayne is so excited he neglected his punctuation :)

I have amended the offending sentence below.

Hands down the best bass I've ever played. If I decide to buy it, is £1,799 too much? If I took pics could anyone authenticate it for me ?

Edited by silddx

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='677829' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:15 PM']it's not a looker but it's heaven to play.[/quote]

I think you've set out your own criteria here - I would suggest acquiring it as a player and then perhaps have it re-finned.

Something along the lines of, say, black and white checks - just an idea.

[quote name='silddx' post='677861' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:40 PM']Wayne is so excited he neglected his punctuation :rolleyes:

I have amended the offending sentence below.

Hands down the best bass I've ever played. If I decide to buy it, is £1,799 too much? If I took pics could anyone authenticate it for me ?[/quote]

Cheers mate :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='677939' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:27 PM']There's no possible way I'd buy anything from the scheisters at Music Ground, Leeds. [b]Especially[/b] vintage instruments. PM 99ster.[/quote]

I have to throw my hat in with Joe on this one - but if your dream bit of kit appears anywhere it's a hard call to stay principled.

They are one serious bunch of smug hombres who stick telephone numbers on tatty old crap though. Be wary.

+1 I definitely wouldn't trust them - if I walk in a shop and get treated like an idiot, I walk away. I once wanted to try out an amp there, and the guy simply plugged into it, played some generic slap, and said something along the lines of "There you go, all works, sounds great, the price is..." He really looked put out when I asked to actually try it myself...

I share the majority opinion on MG expressed here in that rip-offs are the norm but I'm finding it difficult to get past the 'best bass I've ever played' statement in the OP.

Best advice would be for one of our more 'Fender-street-wise' brethren to accompany Wayne ('fraid it's a bit too far for me) and then take the thing apart (both physically and verbally if need be) so that either a clear-cut 'don't touch it' is issued or it gets the green light as a player.

Wayne - I don't know how many 'good' Jazzers from this period you'll have tried (maybe hundreds, maybe this is one of the first) - there are some really nice ones around from the late '60s and early 70s and it may be worth looking more widely. There's a chance you'd get something as good (or better) at a decent price...not that £1800 for a '72 is a bad price at current valuations. If you can hang on for a bit, something good might turn up on BC and you could make a very decent saving

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='677980' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:49 PM']+1 I definitely wouldn't trust them - if I walk in a shop and get treated like an idiot, I walk away. I once wanted to try out an amp there, and the guy simply plugged into it, played some generic slap, and said something along the lines of "There you go, all works, sounds great, the price is..." He really looked put out when I asked to actually try it myself...[/quote]

I was in a suit as I was up their on business [i]see also: poshest punk[/i] and was treated well, I now wonder how I would have been treated on a Saturday?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='678086' date='Dec 8 2009, 04:04 PM']I share the majority opinion on MG expressed here in that rip-offs are the norm but I'm finding it difficult to get past the 'best bass I've ever played' statement in the OP.

Best advice would be for one of our more 'Fender-street-wise' brethren to accompany Wayne ('fraid it's a bit too far for me) and then take the thing apart (both physically and verbally if need be) so that either a clear-cut 'don't touch it' is issued or it gets the green light as a player.[/quote]

It was an amazing bass but if a lot of people have been ripped off I might get the feeling I had been sold a puppy if I was to buy it, if I am in a position to buy after Xmas it would be nice to take someone savy with me but I am put off buy the reputation of the store.

[quote name='lozbass' post='678103' date='Dec 8 2009, 04:17 PM']Wayne - I don't know how many 'good' Jazzers from this period you'll have tried (maybe hundreds, maybe this is one of the first) - there are some really nice ones around from the late '60s and early 70s and it may be worth looking more widely. There's a chance you'd get something as good (or better) at a decent price...not that £1800 for a '72 is a bad price at current valuations. If you can hang on for a bit, something good might turn up on BC and you could make a very decent saving[/quote]

This is the first I've tried so it would be worth trying a few more before I commit just in case they are all like this rather than this being one in a million.

lots of cynical attitude in this thread. Wayne has found a 72 jazz for a good (considering what it is, awful considering its just an old bit of wood, horses for courses) price that is the best he has played. As long as he can get someone else to check it over for originality, why so much doubt?

Edited by Kev

Just to stir the pot a little but didn't Metallica sue Music Ground after they bought a load of 70's Marshall heads for a a tour and they turned out to be the just the shells of vintage models but the guts of cheapo Valve State heads? Last time I went in there I was basically asked to leave because I didn't want to buy anything. I'm not sure I would trust a shop which claimed to be selling "Sid Vicious's original P Bass" for 50 grand!!! To me it just looked like a wrecked Mexican P with a bit of gaffer tape on it.

Back on track though I reckon that £1799 is a fairly realistic price for a 72 jazz. I played a 76 the other week which had had the price cut to £1500 cos it was at a trade show. It was awesome and I wouldn't have grumbled about paying even £1800 for it, just not this close to Crimbo lol!

Edited by AdamWoodBass

Wayne,I don't know anything about Musicground, being a yellow bellied southerner and all, but i would echo what has already been said and say hang on until something nice turns up on here. There was a real nice one on here in the for sale section (might still be there, haven't looked) for similar money, sburst & maple board.

I bought a 73 from Heartbreaker (refinished) for £1250. It is hands down the best bass i have ever played.

If there is some doubt about the retailer i would be mega worried when buying something "vintage".

all of this of course just IMHO! :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36418&hl=4candles&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...andles&st=0[/url]

For sale in Jan readvertised in Sept and sold for £1250, IMO this was a Funking bargain. Although this minter with unusual/rare colour was initially asking £1500, it makes interesting reading how some people would bad value a Bass like this.