Why become a member? ×

'72 Jazz in Music Ground Leeds

waynepunkdude

Sad thing is when Music Ground were round the corner by the train station it was a good shop. Always had a good selection of basses (I remember playing a Pedulla or two in there), good prices, staff were friendly and helpful. I don't know what happened when they moved, if they were bought out or what, but things changed quite quickly and I wouldn't go in there now.

Hey guys - not wishing to hijack this thread. But many many years ago I used to play in a band around Leeds and there was a pretty good music store over the bridge (near a load of pawn brokers). Music ground used to be around the corner under from it (I assume where thisnameistaken mentions) - if anyone knows what I'm talking about, is that store still there ?

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='679095' date='Dec 9 2009, 02:27 PM']Could it have been Alpha Music? I think they were down the bottom of Briggate somewhere, I forget exactly, always had a couple of huge Hammonds just inside the door that they were never going to sell... They moved to York, by the train station, and a year or so later closed down.[/quote]

I was in Briggate the other day, it's very modern down there.

[quote name='silddx' post='679099' date='Dec 9 2009, 02:32 PM']I'm in Leeds oat the Weekend, if I get time I'll see if I can nip into MG. Is it near the railway station?[/quote]

Not far, it's round the corner from the Corn Exchange. Five minute walk from the station.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='679098' date='Dec 9 2009, 02:31 PM']I was in Briggate the other day, it's very modern down there.[/quote]

IIRC Alpha Music was way down the bottom, on one corner of the bridge down there.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='679095' date='Dec 9 2009, 02:27 PM']Could it have been Alpha Music? I think they were down the bottom of Briggate somewhere, I forget exactly, always had a couple of huge Hammonds just inside the door that they were never going to sell... They moved to York, by the train station, and a year or so later closed down.[/quote]

Thanks - that name rings a bell. But back in my day I don't think organs would have got the time of day there. Used to be very much guitar and bass focused.

[quote name='Kirky' post='679172' date='Dec 9 2009, 03:39 PM']Is it the brown one Wayne? I popped in today. Not my cup of tea aesthetically, but if its yours, and you like the way it plays...

Can't help you regards authenticity I'm afraid.[/quote]

You're right it's a horrid colour but it play/sound like a m*****f***er.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='679153' date='Dec 9 2009, 03:18 PM']:)[/quote]

Am I not posh then? :rolleyes:

The more I think about it the more I think I should hold off and try more basses.

I have spent this year trying (read: buying) all the types of basses I like to find which I like best and tone and feel wise the Jazz comes out on top so I'm going to spend next year trying to find the perfect Jazz, sure this one is probably the best bass I've ever played but there may be better out there and the comments from you guys about the shop has taken the sheen off of it.

So next year I will mainly be trying:

Vintage Fender
Modern Fender
Sadowsky
Celinder
Lakland
and any other Jazz that catches my eye.

The search begins.

[quote name='bh2' post='679539' date='Dec 9 2009, 08:57 PM']Well for that sort of sponding you could do worse than try a RoadWorn Jazz... they're great and you'd have some change![/quote]

I really dislike the Roadworn series, if I do buy a vintage Fender and it's reliced I would see that as a something I'd have to live rather with than a plus point, but cheers for the suggestion.

Edited by waynepunkdude

Hello Wayne,

I was in Music Ground in Leeds half an hour ago and they had sent your '74 Jazz to the Denmark Street branch yesterday. Shame, I was looking forward to trying it. I had a chat with the big fella about you, said you loved it :)

I have to say, all three guys in there were really nice to me and Mrs silddx, helpful, pleasant, even had a laff with them, they were really cool.

[quote name='silddx' post='682400' date='Dec 12 2009, 06:22 PM']Hello Wayne,

I was in Music Ground in Leeds half an hour ago and they had sent your '74 Jazz to the Denmark Street branch yesterday.[/quote]
Hmm, send a bass to your other branch when you clearly have a guy seriously into the bass??, or was it drawing to much attention from Basschat with some of us popping in to check it out for Wayne!, would I be wrong to think it may be a little more authentic when it goes back on the wall.

[quote name='silddx' post='682400' date='Dec 12 2009, 06:22 PM']Hello Wayne,

I was in Music Ground in Leeds half an hour ago and they had sent your '74 Jazz to the Denmark Street branch yesterday. Shame, I was looking forward to trying it. I had a chat with the big fella about you, said you loved it :)

I have to say, all three guys in there were really nice to me and Mrs silddx, helpful, pleasant, even had a laff with them, they were really cool.[/quote]

Cheer for having a look Nig.

I found them quite friendly too, I was sure it was a '72 but it's been a long week.

It does seem odd that they have moved it to London when I was seriously interested but I did mention where I lived and that I would be in touch after Xmas if I still wanted another look.

It's a bit academic now as I have decided to try a lot of Jazzes before committing.