Why become a member? ×

A new way to tune your bass?

JakeBrownBass

Victor Wooten has always been a "I see why people like him, but not for me" kind of guy, this has not changed my opinion I'm afraid.

Clever with the tuning it back up thing I guess, but didn't like the sounds inbetween!

Obviously I'm sure others will like it, just my personal opinion!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='672679' date='Dec 2 2009, 11:44 PM']Victor Wooten has always been a "I see why people like him, but not for me" kind of guy, this has not changed my opinion I'm afraid.

Clever with the tuning it back up thing I guess, but didn't like the sounds inbetween!

Obviously I'm sure others will like it, just my personal opinion![/quote]

Maybe this video might sway you

But back on topic.
The video's from a big guitar festival and about pushing the boundaries. IMO to get that close to be being in tune by just hitting the bass like that takes a certain amount of skill.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='672840' date='Dec 3 2009, 08:50 AM']I really don't think it's worth posting any more Wooten clips, as it just leads to the inevitable Vic-bashing.[/quote]
Very true.

I thought it was a great clip although I wouldn't listen to it as a piece of music on my ipod, it's the sort of thing that should only be done live.
He isn't in tune at the end (nearly is) but if I could play as good as he does then I'd be a happy chappy.

I'm all for freedom of expression, and I've even mucked about with basses in a similar way in private, but since I never got the idea sounding any good I never dreamt of doing it in front of a, presumably paying, audience. IMO I dont think Vic got it sounding any better than I did really, it just goes to show how clever Michael Manring is, he does stupid things with his tuning and then sounds great :).

Certainly not a highlight of his work IMO, Zenergy is awesome though!

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='672805' date='Dec 3 2009, 08:03 AM']Maybe this video might sway you[/quote]

Jake,

Undoubtedly he is a very good technician of the bass, just not for me. it doesn't mean he's not good, just not my kind of player to watch. I'm sure one day I'll hear something and go "wow! who is that?" and it will be him, but it hasn't happened so far.

This clip didn't work for me either, but then again I guess I'm just not into banjo-jazz!

It was a bit wierdo thing (you don't get to see it much everyday, right?), but, I have to say, I enjoyed it.

'Even' some sort of 'bass-bash' needs creativity - I believe, that maybe a few of us here could transform it into some sort of music piece (as Vic just did, IMO)..

An, one observation here - it seems that some people here treat 'Vic bashing' thing like a competition, and looks for a even 'more clever' way to to show their opinion,[b] each time[/b] they spot a thread about him...

It just looks lame, doesn't it?

Edited by Faithless