Why become a member? ×

Double-Single-Coil-Precision

henry norton

Huge apologies to anyone who thought I'd just unearthed an ultra-rare predecessor to the Jazz, the mother of all modern basses. This is just an idea I had;

I'm guessing it would sound beefier than a Jazz but with more versatility than a split P.

Oh my life what a terrible picture, I didn't realise how blurred it was 'til I saw it posted.

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='henry norton' post='670477' date='Nov 30 2009, 04:44 PM']Huge apologies to anyone who thought I'd just unearthed an ultra-rare predecessor to the Jazz, the mother of all modern basses. This is just an idea I had;

I'm guessing it would sound beefier than a Jazz but with more versatility than a split P.

Oh my life what a terrible picture, I didn't realise how blurred it was 'til I saw it posted.[/quote]
I have thought of doing that myself.
Kind of have it scheduled as my next project.
When I have the funds free I’m going to have the body and neck made by USA Custom Guitars.
Have been thinking of going for the hollow T with F hole.

I’ve also played with the idea of a Charlie Christian style pickup closer to the neck pocket, and a 3 pickup version.
So many options.

MM

I've seen a few of those come up on ebay in the US, not original of course but modded. The guy from Be Bop Deluxe had a similarly modded Telebass with the exception that he used a J-PUP at the bridge. Do you think an SC is the right PUP to put at the bridge - certain PUPs just seem to work better in certain places?

Cheers

Chris

Why the angle on the bridge pup?

I see lots of basses with angled pickups and always wonder how the builder decided on the angle. Personally I think they always look really ugly, not to mention uncomfortable if you use the pickup to rest your thumb on (I speak from experience), so there must be a really good reason tone-wise but I can't help feeling that the angles chosen are completely arbitrary, rather than the result of numerous prototypes to find just the right one.

As someone who has seemingly built/modded bases would you care to comment?

That's the rub, most everyone uses a Jazz for a single coil bridge pickup, and as the single coil P gives a thicker, more raw sound I just wondered what it would sound like. You could be right Chris, it might not sound too good but you see plenty of split coils at the bridge and I'll bet the single coil is better suited than that. As for the angle, I really don't know why I drew it like that (kind of like a Moserite/Warwick Thumb mix). I expect most players would fail the Pepsi Challenge when it comes to the difference in sound. :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='670753' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:09 AM']I used to have a 70's Telecaster bass with,Dimazio EB in the neck,P pup in the usual place and a Jazz pup in it,massive array of tones,but weighed about 1/4 ton.[/quote]

Think I saw that a while back, looked like the ultimate vintage Fender bass to me :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='671000' date='Dec 1 2009, 01:03 PM']That's the rub, most everyone uses a Jazz for a single coil bridge pickup, and as the single coil P gives a thicker, more raw sound I just wondered what it would sound like. You could be right Chris, it might not sound too good but you see plenty of split coils at the bridge and I'll bet the single coil is better suited than that. As for the angle, I really don't know why I drew it like that (kind of like a Moserite/Warwick Thumb mix). I expect most players would fail the Pepsi Challenge when it comes to the difference in sound. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well you won't know until you try :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

It's been a few years since I started this thread but I've just discovered this...

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/custom-shop/basses/precision-bass/2013-closet-classic-precision-bass-pro-maple-fingerboard-black/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/custom-shop/basses/precision-bass/2013-closet-classic-precision-bass-pro-maple-fingerboard-black/[/url]

...so thought I'd update it. It's a bit galling having an idea only to see someone else carry it out :angry: but that said, if I built every one of my 'ideas' I wouldn't be able to get into my house, let alone my bank account :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1380704194' post='2229082']
If money's no object:

[url="http://www.detempleguitars.com/temp/CATALOG_ITEMS/DeTemple_P55_over.php"]http://www.detempleg...le_P55_over.php[/url]

Nice video of Lee Sklar playing one on DeTemple's youtube channel. Sounds awesome!
[/quote]
HaHa! well that just goes to show there aren't that many original ideas any more - especially in the world of bass guitars. Looks good, although the treble pickup should be a bit closer to the bridge and it should really be slab bodied for proper vintage effect. Otherwise, I'd go for one, even if it didn't sound so good - it's all about the pose :D

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1380869481' post='2231628']

HaHa! well that just goes to show there aren't that many original ideas any more - especially in the world of bass guitars. Looks good, although the treble pickup should be a bit closer to the bridge and it should really be slab bodied for proper vintage effect. Otherwise, I'd go for one, even if it didn't sound so good - it's all about the pose :D
[/quote]

Different strokes I suppose. Sounds awesome in Sklar's hands. To be fair I don't think they're going for period correctness...

There's certainly very little new in bass design.

Have a look in my signature below. I've had a two single coil pickup 51 reissue Precision for a few years now. They are Seymour Duncan SCPB3. The sound is great actually. It does get used on the neck pickup mostly but even on the bridge pickup alone, the sound is good, to my ears at least. I think getting the bridge pickup in the best position is critical.

The neck on my bass feels much smaller to the playing hand than the specs would suggest it should. It has small vintage frets which are very easy to play and the neck has been lightly sanded to flatten the finish and feels lovely.

Frank.

The Detemple i posted earlier, as noted, has the bridge pickup in more a MM location than Jazz location. I thought it sounded spectacular in the Sklar video, so much so I've shelved my 60's p idea and am considering a Warmoth build.

Chef over on "that other forum for bass talk" has a nice 5 string 51p style bass with a custom Nordstrand pickup set - a single coil p pickup in the neck and a fatstack at the bridge. Ash body, maple neck. Beautiful. There's a thread about the build over there somewhere...