Why become a member? ×

For all you Pino fans!

Hutton

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='669149' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:06 PM']Been practicing all afternoon then I see this and release how crap I am :)

Pino's a legend[/quote]

You're not crap. None of us are. We are just at different levels. It's guys like Pino however that can inspire us to keep learning and practising.

[quote name='Hutton' post='669185' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:54 PM']You're not crap. None of us are. We are just at different levels. It's guys like Pino however that can inspire us to keep learning and practising.[/quote]

+1.. try playing and practicing full time (think 8 hours a day at least) for a few years and then see where you are.
We have to keep in mind that many of our mega-heroes started when they were kids and did that to exclusion of all else!
Never surrender to despair! :)

I wonder if the bass he is playing in this clip is 'the one'. I understand the tribute model to be a slab fingerboard jobie and the one featured shows a cambered board. 1962 was the year of the change (around June I believe) - anyone got any info to add, or is it simply a case that he has more than one 62 bass?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='669316' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:32 PM']I wonder if the bass he is playing in this clip is 'the one'. I understand the tribute model to be a slab fingerboard jobie and the one featured shows a cambered board. 1962 was the year of the change (around June I believe) - anyone got any info to add, or is it simply a case that he has more than one 62 bass?[/quote]

Nurt looks narrow too :)

[quote name='Hutton' post='669107' date='Nov 29 2009, 02:13 PM']Sorry if it's been posted before but if you're a Pino fan you have to see this:-

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm7l7XfV_Pg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm7l7XfV_Pg[/url][/quote]

Brilliant - thanks for posting that!
Pino - what a legend. And, by all accounts, a thoroughly nice chap as well.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='669361' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:18 PM']Jeff Berlin famously denounced fretless bass because he thought everyone just sounded like Jaco clones. He's probably right, but Pino is the exception. His fretless playing is integral to the tracks he's performed on being major hits. Lady In Red being a prime example.[/quote]

Pino is THE reason I wanted a fretless. She Moves Me off Paul Rodgers' "Muddy Waters Blues" album to be precise - tasteful little slid pinched harmonics & a pantwettingly gorgeous tone. Dunno if I'll ever get there, but the journey so far has been bags of fun.

Pete.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='669483' date='Nov 29 2009, 09:10 PM']Why is Pino famous, is he in a famous bad or a session style player?

Just curious as I hadn't heard of him until 2 weeks ago.[/quote]

He's a top top British Session Player Wayne. Also currently in the John Mayer Trio and The Who.

He's my hero too :)

Probably my favourite bassist of all time. He just never fails at playing exceptionally good lines in whatever he plays on, no matter what the style. It's always just perfect for the song. I know he recounts Jaco as one of his major influences, but like a few others here, Jaco just doesn't do it for me, while Pino just slays me every time!

It was the Paul Young Album "Ne parlez" that made the general bass playing public aware of him, though I am sure he was around before. When "Wherever I lay my hat" jumped out of the radio and TOTP we all went "Wha???! What is that and who is that guy?" That was in 1983...
The TOTP youtubes generally have idiot DJ's talking over the intro so here's a complete version.

To my mind he took the Jaco fretless stuff and refined it for a more general audience.

Edited by OldGit

Awesome post, Pino IS the man! John Mayer's an awesome axemeister as well though, very Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Pino also did some superb playing on Joan Armatradings "The Shouting Stage" Album. Check out the intro to "The Devil I know", could be the best Pino lick ever IMO.