Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror - It's here, FULL review and PIX

Moos3h

Hi all,

Just a quick review after having spent 45 mins with one today. This is NOT intended as a full on long-term review but will hopefully be of use to those of you who are interested in one, but cannot get to a shop to try it.

GUITAR USED: Squier Classic Vibe Jazz / Squier VM Fretless Jazz

CABINET USED: Marshall 15" 4 Ohm

Okay, so let's begin.

Firstly, the thing is TINY - they are not kidding when they say these things are portable. Light enough to be carried in one hand, but very sturdy feeling with the strong metal chassis and handle. The controls on the front are simple and clearly marked, and the the power switch features a useful 'standby' mode - this isn't really to help protect the valves as such, but would be useful in the absence of a dedicated 'Mute' switch. Input jack on the front with passive/active button and the EQ controls. Seperate gain and volume mean YOU have control of the amount of edge to the sound. Other connections such as the DI are on the side and speaker connections and mains to the rear.

SOUND:

So this is really what I wanted to know, can something class D erase the bad memory of the Ashdown Superfly in my mind? The answer to this is a resounding yes! The first thing to know is there is a LOT of volume on tap. I was using a 4 ohm cab and the full 500w was available to me, and it felt like it. I would say that the output level here in terms of useable volume was on a part with the Hartke LH500 and Peavey Tour 450 heads.

The basic tone is VERY warm and punchy - we're not talking Trace Elliot levels of glassiness here, but something more earthy and gutsy, almost more 'natural' and it's a very likeable tone. There is no doubt you could use this for a variety of genres, but we feel VERY at home with Rock, Blues and even some Jazz too, such is the warmth on tap. All of the EQ controls make a big difference and small adjustments are quickly audible, as a result you can coax a lot of different tones out of this, but my favourite came from everything flat, with just a touch of treble to counter the fact I was running through a 15" cabinet.

The Gain and Volume controls interact very well, this is a very familiar setup to anyone who has had a valve guitar amp (stick with me) in as much as the nicest sounds come from the master volume being set at approx 12 o clock and then gain to taste, if you need more or less volume, then make your adjustments from that point - it's chucking out a decent amount of welly there, but it really feels organic and natural, not at all the sterile and lifeless 'Digital' sound that I was panic'd about!

Operation noise? Well, yes, there's a bit, but again this is only typical of the amount of power on tap - with a well shielded bass, there's nothing out of the ordinary. Home users MAY get a touch irritated by the fan as when the amp heats up, this seemed to speed up and did get noisier, chances are that most people wouldn't notice this as the amp is LOUD by this point.

So would I buy one? Yep. Easy as that, it's a good fit with the type of music I like, it's small, has truckloads of power and sounds good from the get-go, no fiddling required.

RECOMMENDED.

Edited by Moos3h

Okay, BRIEF update from last night's rehearsal.

By GOD it is loud! This thing is a total monster, and is really giving my cab something to think about.

I could be heard comfortably at 1/10 on the master, active button ON (even though it's a passive bass) and gain at 12 o'clock.

FAB.

Cheers,
James

Edited by Moos3h

[quote name='Moos3h' post='673259' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:04 PM']Okay, BRIEF update from last night's rehearsal.

By GOD it is loud! This thing is a total monster, and is really giving my cab something to think about.

I could be heard comfortably at 1/10 on the master, active button ON (even though it's a passive bass) and gain at 12 o'clock.

FAB.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

This is sounding better and better mate, or should that be louder and louder... :)
I think I'm going to have to make a move on one of these before Christmas!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='razze06' post='673304' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:51 PM']I think i've seen one for sale at live music on Wed, eude.[/quote]

Cool, I need to get some strings at the weekend, so I might pop in and see if I can have a go :)

Eude

[quote name='TheButler' post='674042' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:40 AM']If anyone wants a listen in Edinburgh i'm free on Sunday. My Matamp cab won't be here 'til Monday though. Its a 900W, 4 ohm one... should be loud enough.[/quote]

Hey man,
Can I drop you a PM over the weekend?
Not sure what I'm up to yet, but would love to try your head out!
I can bring along my Aguilar GS112 cab too.

Cheers,
Eude

Hi there,

I got a Bass Terror last weekend, tried in the shop with a TC 2x10 cab and the guys in shop said that building was vibrating. Got home, hooked it up to my Aguilar DB410 cab just to give it a quick try, and within 5 minutes next door complained saying that I was making too much noise (more than the usual...). Band practice last night, comments from the guys in the band "is going too be loud enough, it is only a very small amp - turn it up to see how loud it goes?", I think that they regreted the last comment when I turned the volume up to 12 o'clock - THIS AMP IS VERY LOUD

Moos3h review is pretty accurate, I love it so far and works very well with my DB410 cab

[attachment=37979:Orange_B...Ric_4003.jpg]

At first I assumed that the Bass Terror had a std active EQ with cut and boost as the legend on the front panel shows a zero at 12 o'clock, but the EQ is definitely passive as when the bass, mid and treble are all at minimum position no sound comes out. Even with passive EQ you can get quite a lot of variation from the EQ, with most settings being very usable.

Yes, the fan is noisy but not really noticeable in a band situation. I had a look at the fan and this looks like a std 80mm PC Case cooling fan, so I am considering replacing it with a silent (quiet) PC Case fan as this looks very easy to do assuming that runs at 12V supply (a high end "silent" PC fan will cost between £8 and £15).

I think that my Ampeg SVT-2 Pro is going to be up for sale very soon

Cheers
Joao

Edited by baixo

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='678726' date='Dec 9 2009, 06:05 AM']If it's a passive EQ, I wonder where the flat tone lies? Doesn't setting all knobs at noon usually result in a mid scoop with these EQs?[/quote]

I got a very flat response with the EQ at 12. Crank the gain and you can coax out some very nice, orangey tube saturation/warmth. It really has surpassed my expectations and sounds incredible in a band situation.