Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror - It's here, FULL review and PIX

Moos3h

I love mine.
Makes me happy every time I plug it in.
Big round detailed valvey alive sound.
It came out on top after a long period of testing against my LM2 and Aggie 500SC... both of which I moved on cos they don't make me smile like the orange!
I'm using it with a pair of GS12 cabs. Seems to be a really good combo. Never ever stuck for volume either.

Highly recommended, unless your a modern tone slap fiend... in which case look elsewhere.
If you play rock/pop/soul/disco/ then this amp will do the job in a delightful way.

Anyone have any experience of the orange iso cabs vs the GS112?

I wouldn't mind picking up a pair at some point just to see.

I've just taken the plunge and ordered one after Monday's little, ahem, explosion with my old 90s Ampeg head. I've been interested in these since before they were released and some of the recent comments have made me realise that this should be my ideal lightweight second head as a minimum.

• 10 months later...

[quote name='JD1' timestamp='1262129013' post='696000']
Just used it for a new years eve gig rehearsal. Totally different to the last time I used it (heavy rock trio). This one is a jazz / swing type affair. Backed the gain off for a cleaner sound - still plenty of volume but still a bit of grit when I dug in. Eude - you would be smitten as it was still fat and slightly argumentative! (You really need to have a night out in Newcastle mate).

Not a problem (actually really nice) but based on my initial forays, totally clean isn't this amp's forte. I'm concerned about the related thread on the DI being too hot though - can anyone shed any more light on this?
[/quote]
It is hot! I remember reading somewhere that the DI output is controlled by the gain....I've had to use my BSS AR133 DI to the desk because of this..
(I bought the SP2x12 cab, but I also have an Ashdown 414 4x10 and 2 Marshall VBC 4x12s)

Edited by feelthethunder

• 7 months later...

Well I took the plunge and got one.....
over the past 2-3 months ive tried an ampeg BA115HP combo, ashdown mibass 550, Little mark LM250, Promethean combo and a Harley benton 500w promethean clone! then Finally as a last throw of the dice the Orange terror bass
I love it :-)
Its given me a lovely cut through, 'real bass sound' with out any of the wooly mush ive had to deal with from some other amps.
It sounds great with my active Sandberg and has lots and I mean lots of headroom to spare. I now feel I have a head to do my Ashdown LB212 justice.
so glad i went for it.
The EQ might not alter the inherant sound a great deal but if its right, its right, and the simplicity of this amp really appeals to me. Think of it as the vanilla of bass sounds but not your cheap, bargain supermarket vanilla but more a rich, creamy, luxurious english lakes/cornish cream vanilla.
try one you'll see what I mean :-)
the 4-8ohm switching means if I ever get my hands on that midget I've convinced myself I need it'll give its full 500w welly through it

An update on my own OTB situation.

Having been seduced away from it for a while by playing Wal basses pretty much exclusively (I find that the OTB doesn't get on well with filter-based pre-amps) I re-discovered what a great amp it is when I returned to Precisions a few months ago.

Someone recently re-posted the link to the original review which pointed out that "flat" meant having the Treble & Bass knobs set to 9 o'clock and the Middle to 12. I tried using that setting and found that I definitely preferred it to the scooped sound created by the "all knobs set straight up" approach.

Then, in an idle moment over the weekend, I read that some Kodak AT-7 valves I had knocking around were (allegedly) re-badged Mullards. Hmmm. I swopped them in to replace the Philiips valves I used (in my [i][b]Re-Valving An OTB [/b][/i]thread) and they sound absolutely great. A significant improvement to an already-great amp.

:P

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1338330992' post='1673033']
Well I took the plunge and got one.....
over the past 2-3 months ive tried an ampeg BA115HP combo, ashdown mibass 550, Little mark LM250, Promethean combo and a Harley benton 500w promethean clone! then Finally as a last throw of the dice the Orange terror bass
I love it :-)
Its given me a lovely cut through, 'real bass sound' with out any of the wooly mush ive had to deal with from some other amps.
It sounds great with my active Sandberg and has lots and I mean lots of headroom to spare. I now feel I have a head to do my Ashdown LB212 justice.
so glad i went for it.
The EQ might not alter the inherant sound a great deal but if its right, its right, and the simplicity of this amp really appeals to me. Think of it as the vanilla of bass sounds but not your cheap, bargain supermarket vanilla but more a rich, creamy, luxurious english lakes/cornish cream vanilla.
try one you'll see what I mean :-)
the 4-8ohm switching means if I ever get my hands on that midget I've convinced myself I need it'll give its full 500w welly through it
[/quote]

Nice one mate, glad you've found something after all your hunting :)
I bet it looks cool as on top of the LB212 (pics please?...)

Eude

• 1 year later...

hiho,9 months on with OTB500 and a sp212 cab.
The little bulb went,replaced with a 12v car one,not as bright as the original thank goodness.
That,s the bad bit over.
I have the newer one with the DI fixed .
I,ve played a lot of different gear over the years and for me it,s ideal.
Sounds incredible,compact,loud,big sound.
When I,ve had it turned up,that,ll be 11 oclock I turn round expecting an ampig and the freezer to be there but it,s just this little ickle orange box and a white toaster there.Power is never a problem,has it in bags with loads of headroom
By all accounts the sp212 cab is quiet contraversial but at a gig it more than delivers.
Head is the easiest amp I,ve ever had to dial in.
The only improvement I can think of is another sp212 cab.
Not bad for a one trick pony with an inefficient obselete cab .
I,m out tonight to demolish at a gig-oh the sacrifices we make.
Highly recommended apart from the shock of paying for it but that dissapears quickly