Why become a member? ×

Drum machines

Bikenbass

I had an SR-16 and it was the industry standard for years. Most drum machines are very similar in the way they work and interface with the user. The thing that tells me that Alesis got it right with the SR-16 is that the SR-18 I now have interfaces with the user in exactly the same way.

For practising songs and doing exercises I use the drum loops on my Korg Pandora 5, though.

On my laptop I use Reaper (DAW) and create drum loops and tracks using Toontrack's Superior 2. Tere's nothing like having a great realistic drum sound to groove with. Maybe a bit fussy for simplicity - but it doesn't take long to set up a jam.

I have the SR16 - the controls are a bit wierd, with an overreliance on the PLAY button for everything.
Also although you can create multiple drum kits, you cant assign them to patterns or songs so they dont change with the song played, you have to change the kit manually.

Samples are good though.

[quote name='MSL' post='663695' date='Nov 24 2009, 01:26 PM']Hi Folks
I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine. How does it compare for ease of use against the Boss DR-3 or the Zoom MRT3/b?
Mark
Sorry if this is on the wrong section.[/quote]

I use a Zoom MRT-3B, prior to that a Zoom 234 along with an Alesis HR-16 (which I wish I still had). I've dabbled with a SR-16, but not used it extensively.
Found all of them are pretty easy & intuitive to use TBH. However prefer the sounds on the Zooms to the SR-16, but the HR-16 is still my favourite.