Why become a member? ×

'64 Precision

Beedster

[quote name='ezbass' post='679303' date='Dec 9 2009, 05:52 PM']I gotta ask (yeah I know it's rude, but I'm OK with it) how much was that bad boy?[/quote]

Not saying! I will say that I sent pics to a few people who I believed would be able to provide a realistic evaluation and I paid a little less than the lowest of the quotes I received.

Thanks again for all the positive comments above guys, over and above its vintage it's a lovely bass and I'm really getting into exploring the tone. It's going to take a bit of work to get set up to my liking (action's a little low at present) but I'm going to let it settle down a little first. I have to admit that when I'm not playing it I kinda find myself just looking at it :)

Chris

[quote name='OldGit' post='680077' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:43 AM']HeyChris,
Just to make you feel better '64 Jazz: $65,000
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=70234&view=findpost&p=679963"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=679963[/url]

Unless, of course, you want one of those as well now .......[/quote]

LOL, I have to admit that when I announced the imminent purchase to Mrs Beedster I didn't hesitate in showing her that listing :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='680332' date='Dec 10 2009, 03:08 PM']LOL, I have to admit that when I announced the imminent purchase to Mrs Beedster I didn't hesitate in showing her that listing :)[/quote]

Well if it helps, as I mentioned in another thread about vintage bass prices, had I spent the money on a pre-CBS bass 10 years ago, it would now be worth about 4 times as much as I paid for it and 8 times much as the ISAs I did buy are worth ...

Of course I can cash in my ISAs ....... In fact may just do that and buy a vintage bass :rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='680342' date='Dec 10 2009, 03:16 PM']Well if it helps, as I mentioned in another thread about vintage bass prices, had I spent the money on a pre-CBS bass 10 years ago, it would now be worth about 4 times as much as I paid for it and 8 times much as the ISAs I did buy are worth ...

Of course I can cash in my ISAs ....... In fact may just do that and buy a vintage bass :rolleyes:[/quote]

ain't that the truth!

Fabulous looking ol' P Chris, although I thought you liked a little less finish! Definitly my favourite of the "solid" Fender colours.

I bought a '65 T-bird IV from V&R earlier this year and had similar reservations about them, but on the whole they're not a bad bunch. The vintage market is an absolute minefield, especially when you're a player rather than a collector :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='680332' date='Dec 10 2009, 03:08 PM']LOL, I have to admit that when I announced the imminent purchase to Mrs Beedster I didn't hesitate in showing her that listing :)[/quote]

Price is a funny thing - lot's of people I know would not pay premium for 'the bass' yet spend several times more over a number of years cycling through various cheaper alternatives. Great looking bass Chris and if she plays/sounds anything like my '62 you've got one very special bass.

[quote name='OldGit' post='680342' date='Dec 10 2009, 03:16 PM']Well if it helps, as I mentioned in another thread about vintage bass prices, had I spent the money on a pre-CBS bass 10 years ago, it would now be worth about 4 times as much as I paid for it and 8 times much as the ISAs I did buy are worth ...[/quote]

And you would have had a lot more fun :rolleyes:

[quote name='Shaggy' post='680368' date='Dec 10 2009, 03:46 PM']The vintage market is an absolute minefield, especially when you're a player rather than a collector :)[/quote]

Agreed mate, I guess if you have a large collection and make a bad investment on one bass it's probably gonna be offset by a good investment on another bass. If you're buying just the one however, it's a nervy process for sure. I've bought and sold a few vintage basses over the last few years and made a few mistakes doing so, so I think I've learned a thing or two about the risks and pitfalls, but you still take a giant step down the food chain when you venture into old vintage.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='680435' date='Dec 10 2009, 05:25 PM']For proper settling in you need a set of 'Jamerson La Bellas' - 52-110.[/quote]

Do you have a set to hand Doc? The strings on it are OK and I was going to use the La Bellas I bought from you a couple of months back, but I do like those big fat Deep Talkers!

[quote name='alanbass1' post='681015' date='Dec 11 2009, 09:39 AM']Price is a funny thing - lot's of people I know would not pay premium for 'the bass' yet spend several times more over a number of years cycling through various cheaper alternatives.[/quote]

I've done both. On reflection I wish I'd done 'the bass' years ago :lol:

[quote name='Beedster' post='681610' date='Dec 11 2009, 07:07 PM']Do you have a set to hand Doc? The strings on it are OK and I was going to use the La Bellas I bought from you a couple of months back, but I do like those big fat Deep Talkers![/quote]

I've got a set of lightly used (on fretless only, so no little dinks will have appeared).

I can ask my 'secret' supplier about a new set on Monday if you like - they're smuggled in especially for me via Columbia hidden inside crates of heroin so as not to arouse suspicion.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='681684' date='Dec 11 2009, 08:31 PM']I've got a set of lightly used (on fretless only, so no little dinks will have appeared).

I can ask my 'secret' supplier about a new set on Monday if you like - they're smuggled in especially for me via Columbia hidden inside crates of heroin so as not to arouse suspicion.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: -----Nice one Howard

[quote name='Beedster' post='678097' date='Dec 8 2009, 04:13 PM']Well, as for pics. how's this for starters?

[/quote]
Wow!!!

Only just seen this Chris; that is amazing.. Congratulations!

I think you've done what a lot of us here on Basschat would secretly hope/wish/love to do..circumstances permitting. But beyond having the right circumstances come together, it's also about knowing what you want and then setting about doing it..and you've done it!!

Hope to see you at some point soon, with or without the bass! :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='681684' date='Dec 11 2009, 08:31 PM']I can ask my 'secret' supplier about a new set on Monday if you like - they're smuggled in especially for me via Columbia hidden inside crates of heroin so as not to arouse suspicion.[/quote]
Make it so Dr B

[quote name='OldGit' post='681744' date='Dec 11 2009, 09:41 PM']Best start the finger training process if you're going with a set of Jamersons. Had a set for a few weeks and it was like playing trussrods.....[/quote]

I love 'em, I've got a set on one of my fretless, pain yes, but tone, yes! I've learned however that they don't travel well so don't like to swap them between basses. I'm sure Howard will sort me a set :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='681757' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:03 PM']Wow!!!

Only just seen this Chris; that is amazing.. Congratulations!

I think you've done what a lot of us here on Basschat would secretly hope/wish/love to do..circumstances permitting. But beyond having the right circumstances come together, it's also about knowing what you want and then setting about doing it..and you've done it!!

Hope to see you at some point soon, with or without the bass! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks Nik, about time we did a trade? In fact I'd be more than happy to get to Clacketts for a coffee and a catch up anyway :lol:

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='681763' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:15 PM']congrats. you offically have one of the prettyiest basses in the world and one of the few instruments which make me think you need to make videos of you playing the thing for the rest of our enjoyment.
:lol:[/quote]

Thanks Luke, vids will surely follow.....

[quote name='Beedster' post='681781' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:39 PM']Thanks Nik, about time we did a trade? In fact I'd be more than happy to get to Clacketts for a coffee and a catch up anyway :)[/quote]
:rolleyes:

Good idea.. January's a pretty dead month anyway so let's make a point of meeting up in the New Year!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='681783' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:42 PM']:rolleyes:

Good idea.. January's a pretty dead month anyway so let's make a point of meeting up in the New Year![/quote]

Nice one mate, let's find some stuff to trade to jsutify the trip to the womenfolk :)

sh1t the bed... thats a stunning bass Beeds.... glad you have found "the one" mate! Truly lovely thing. Id also like to second your experience with V&R. I found them to be very good when I bought my Les Paul bass, including after sales support when there was a little issue with the bridge that needed sorting.

well done pal!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rodney72a' post='681896' date='Dec 12 2009, 02:49 AM']Were V&R able to provide you with some provenance for this instrument?[/quote]

It's been in a large collection for while and that's pretty much all I have. Given its condition it seems unlikely it was ever one of Entwhistle's :)

[quote name='Stag' post='681969' date='Dec 12 2009, 09:43 AM']Id also like to second your experience with V&R. I found them to be very good when I bought my Les Paul bass, including after sales support when there was a little issue with the bridge that needed sorting.

well done pal![/quote]

Cheers mate, yes, as mentioned above, V&R were very good when things got serious. I would hope the same would be the case if I find any issues.

[quote name='tredders' post='682038' date='Dec 12 2009, 11:18 AM']What's the condition like close up? And is that the original case, too?[/quote]

Yep. bass in very good condition,a lot of little dings but nothing big. Given this I was initially suspicious of a refin, but having taken it apart at V&R it's evident it's original. Case is also original.

So....

I've played and gigged this baby enough to be confident it's a great bass. It's now strung with a set of La Bella Jamersons (courtsey of the Bass Doc) and, although my fingers aren't thanking me, the tone is as authentic as I could wish for a pre-CBS. Despite a strong desire to do otherwise, I'm not going to go on about it, but damn, it's a fine bass!

Chris