Why become a member? ×

Motorhead & the Damned

Delberthot

I saw both these bands on Thursday at the O2 Academy in Glasgow.

The Damned were fantastic, the bass sounded like a chainsaw ripping through the tunes. Couldn't work out what bass it was he was using though but he had a big Trace head and Ampeg 8x10". The mixing left a lot to be desired as you couldn't really hear the vocals that well.

Before I went I knew maybe 2 Motorhead tunes - Ace of Spades and Killed by Death. A very polished performance, really really tight as well. They were all in fine form and since this was the first time I've heard them live, it was the first time I've been able to hear Lemmy playing chords, such a huge sound for 3 musicians.

The loudest gig I've ever been to, I had my earplugs on the whole night that i usually use for gigging. It was seriously loud even with them in.

I've never seen so much facial hair, piercings and leather in the one place in my life.

Highly recommended

first time i saw motorhead was in '83/84 at the royal court in liverpool, the dry ice machine went mad and for about 1/2 hour you couldnt see the stage and when it cleared all the band were lying on the stage, it was brilliant.

lemmy admitted a few years ago that for a long time he had sung eight of spades instead of ace, and no-one had noticed :)

Saw them Sunday in Swindon.

Seen them both loads of times, and they just seem to get better.

The bass Damned Stu was using was an ESP Viper (I think thats what its called) have seen him with a few other ESP's. And Lemmy has just got such a cool stage presence.

Girlschool wernt bad either, took me right back :)

Best gig I have been to in a long time.

Last time i saw The Damned was at the Glasgow Apollo when they toured The Black Album, they had began to dispappear up their areholes by that time but it was a sh*t hot gig with loads of dry ice as i recall. Think it may have been some band with Keith Levine in it that supported...or was it Lydons brother' band?, know that they had some sort of PIL connection or other.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='660990' date='Nov 21 2009, 01:50 PM']I saw both these bands on Thursday at the O2 Academy in Glasgow.[/quote]
What time did the Damned come on stage, DH? I am not bothereed about missing GirlSchool (never liked them, saw them on the Bomber tour in 1979/80 I think) but would hate to miss the Damned

[quote name='Clarky' post='661201' date='Nov 21 2009, 06:00 PM']What time did the Damned come on stage, DH? I am not bothereed about missing GirlSchool (never liked them, saw them on the Bomber tour in 1979/80 I think) but would hate to miss the Damned[/quote]

Think it must've been about 8 at the earliest

[quote name='Clarky' post='661201' date='Nov 21 2009, 06:00 PM']What time did the Damned come on stage, DH? I am not bothereed about missing GirlSchool (never liked them, saw them on the Bomber tour in 1979/80 I think) but would hate to miss the Damned[/quote]

Newcastle Gig

GirlSchool 7.30- didnt see

Damned 8.15- 9.05

Motorhead 9.25- 11 ish

[quote name='thebeat' post='661058' date='Nov 21 2009, 02:52 PM']Last time i saw The Damned was at the Glasgow Apollo when they toured The Black Album, they had began to dispappear up their areholes by that time but it was a sh*t hot gig with loads of dry ice as i recall. Think it may have been some band with Keith Levine in it that supported...or was it Lydons brother' band?, know that they had some sort of PIL connection or other.[/quote]

Hey, that rings a bell with me. I saw The Damned doing the Black Album tour too, and now you mention it, I think the support had Keith levine in it.. I seem to remember a name The Straps.. but I'm not sure. Off to do some research!

Just back from Motorhead and The Damned at the Apollo in Hammersmith. Talk about disappointed. The Damned were pretty entertaining especially when they laid off the keyboard-heavy gothic stuff and just went for it (eg, New Rose and Love Song). But Motorhead were BORING. A good start with a couple of the classics, but then an hour or so of slow/mid paced dirge. You just know its a bad sign when they say "and now for one from the back catalogue - this was a B side or a C side ...." While the crowd was full of Motorhead die-hards it was blindingly obvious that their engagement level dropped badly during the course of the set and the adrenaline levels slumped. I saw Motorhead this time last year and they were so much more entertaining (and not just the fire-eating Brazilian strippers!). Just goes to show that song choice is everything.

I'm a big Damned fan, I must have seen them live at least 60 times over the years. I saw Motorhead, The Damned and Girlschool last night at Wolverhamptopm Civic Hall.

Girlschool were ok, Motorhead were tremendous fun. The Damned were astonishing (better than usual, I think David Vanian realised that there was a fresh audience of people who could potentially bolster the pension fun with album purchases, merchandise and more live gigs, so he really upped his game - and unusually, reached for, and hit all the high notes. You see DV, you can do it when you want to.....

They are incredibly tight live, and Stu West is a decent bass player, and gets a decent thump out of his ESP bass.

I think the monitors were a bit dodgy, Stu couldn't hear Captain Sensible Guitar well, and he really messed up the intro to Smash It Up, otherwise, a superb performance.

if you haven't see The Damned, or haven't seen them for a few years, give them a go now - you're in for a treat.

Cheers

Marlin

[quote name='Raggy' post='661046' date='Nov 21 2009, 02:45 PM']Saw them Sunday in Swindon.

Seen them both loads of times, and they just seem to get better.

The bass Damned Stu was using was an ESP Viper (I think thats what its called) have seen him with a few other ESP's. And Lemmy has just got such a cool stage presence.

Girlschool wernt bad either, took me right back :)

Best gig I have been to in a long time.[/quote]

I was there too, ears ringing for days afterwards............Killed by Death - Brilliant

[quote name='Clarky' post='668808' date='Nov 28 2009, 11:29 PM']I saw Motorhead this time last year and they were so much more entertaining (and not just the fire-eating Brazilian strippers!). Just goes to show that song choice is everything.[/quote]

Me too...that was the Motorizer tour. I saw them in Cambridge (my mate's mate does the lighting for Motorhead and got us in on the guest list) with Saxon and its the best gig I've been to in a hell of a long time. I missed this one as I was gigging, judging by the sound of it, I didn't miss much.