Why become a member? ×

'Band' member wants to go funky

Marvin

A particular member of the rhythm section, for a covers band, wishes to do funk or funky stuff, and some reggae.

But, I'm confused as to what is actually meant by this. When pressed for material that said person wishes to cover, I only get the following.

1. Stretch - Why did you do it
2. Commodores - Machine Gun & Brick House.

and that's it.

Generally, I've said that we should concentrate on stuff that we can play, that we don't hate and just as important people will want to hear. Basically a good quality strong set of songs regardless of genre.

So what is meant by the term funky? Can anyone suggest any sort of funky tunes? Are there tunes songs that are thought of as funky but are not necessarily pure funk? To me funk refers to George Clinton, Parliament, Sly and the Family Stone and so on, oh and Bootsy of course. So am I missing something?
Perhaps I can then take something back and say ' what about this?'

PS no RHCP please. Ta

Apologies if none of this makes any sense.

Edited by Marvin

It all makes sense, certainly, and for me at least funky = good. Although having said that, the term 'funk' is used in as broad a sense as 'rock'. True funk, for me, is everybody on the ONE -- James Brown, Parliament, make my funk the p-funk y'awl :) 'Funky' can encompass all manner of stuff though, it all depends what floats your boat. Do you want to stretch the definition as far as Chic style 'disco'ish funk?
Where it starts to get tricky for you is:[quote name='Marvin' post='655380' date='Nov 15 2009, 08:02 PM']and just as important people will want to hear[/quote]The average punter will never have heard Machine Gun, or that damn fine Stretch tune either. Or the majority of James Brown's or Clinton's repertoires for that matter.

[quote name='Marvin' post='655380' date='Nov 15 2009, 08:02 PM']and just as important people will want to hear.[/quote]

Reading that to myself I think I termed it wrong.
Like most covers band the aim is probably to play material that doesn't make your audience want to leave the premises or throw stuff at you. I generally run stuff past the wife as she is the typical disinterested pub punter. Wants to be able to tap her foot to it, maybe dance to but also ignore it to be able to chat to others. She refers to this as the 'tap and yap' test.
That fine Stretch tune is definitely in, cracker.

We've been covering [i]Why Did You Do It[/i] for the last few months - fabulous song.

We now segue into [i]Cissy Strut [/i]after the spoken "One Two" and then back in to finish [i]Why [/i]after the keyboard solo. Works beautifully.

If you're looking for more funky stuff that isn't too widely covered (e.g. [i]Superstition [/i]and [i]Long Train Running [/i]) then check out other stuff by the same artists.

Everyone does [i]Superstition[/i], so try doing [i]Higher Ground[/i] instead.

I thought a bit of Stevie Wonder, but it didn't receive a positive response. And when I said Doobie Brothers, got told 'cheesy American rock'. I'd go for both, Higher Ground a brilliant tune, and so to Long Train Running. I thought they were funky, hence my confusion.

I'm beginning to think perhaps my mate has got genre confusion. :)

Like the sound of what you're doing with [i]Why did you do it[/i].

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='655473' date='Nov 15 2009, 10:05 PM']I'd imagine Brick House would go down well in most boozers.[/quote]

Good tune indeed.

Certainly haven't a problem with what my mate has suggested.

Edited by Marvin

Lo Rider is a cracker that a lot of people have heard and know, but dont know they know, if you see what I mean.

Tarantino sound tracks have some great stuff that have the same effect, people know it from the soundtrck but if you asked them it by name they wouldn't have a clue.

Funky as opposed to pure funk (P-Funk y'all) is a HUGE area, how about something a little more Soul like Mr Big Stuff by Beverly Knight?

Many thanks to all. I'll throw your collective expertise at him.

[quote name='OldGit' post='655759' date='Nov 16 2009, 10:39 AM']Pick the funk out this
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8685&st=0&p=90010&#entry90010"]Dance Floor fillers thread[/url][/quote]

Very good link, I'll definitely be throwing some suggestions from the list.