Why become a member? ×

thomastik strings

mrcrow

i have used and really like the thomastik jazz series bass strings
i have used rounds and flats

their website doesnt show flats now...strange as i thought they were the best i have tried...against roto and elites

i see they may be still available from our string suppliers...

anyone use them and found them to be permanently out of stock? :)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='655241' date='Nov 15 2009, 04:07 PM']i have used and really like the thomastik jazz series bass strings
i have used rounds and flats

their website doesnt show flats now...strange as i thought they were the best i have tried...against roto and elites

i see they may be still available from our string suppliers...

anyone use them and found them to be permanently out of stock? :)[/quote]
They're still on the Thomastik site... at least for me:

[url="http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/johcgi/tho2/TCgi.cgi?Target=list_SetfamilieSubSubs&SetType=Guitar&ID_Setfamilie=20&ID_SetfamilieSub=40&ID_SetfamilieSubSubStaerke=156"]http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/johcgi/tho...bSubStaerke=156[/url]

I'm a thomastik fan - I have TI JF344 on a jazz, three precisions & a thunderbird, JF324 on a mustang & a daisy rock, JF345 on a Peavey 5er, pluse a set of thomastik spirocore weich on the double bass.

Blummin' expensive if I ever have to replace any, but I have a spare set each of JF324 & JF344, so I should be OK for ten years or so.

[quote name='~tl' post='655255' date='Nov 15 2009, 04:29 PM']They're still on the Thomastik site... at least for me:

[url="http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/johcgi/tho2/TCgi.cgi?Target=list_SetfamilieSubSubs&SetType=Guitar&ID_Setfamilie=20&ID_SetfamilieSub=40&ID_SetfamilieSubSubStaerke=156"]http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/johcgi/tho...bSubStaerke=156[/url][/quote]

thanks.... i didnt see the flat wound icon...i clicked it and it took some time to load

silly me :)

[quote name='owen' post='658724' date='Nov 18 2009, 11:18 PM']I use Jazz rounds. They are THE BOMB. For me. YMMV.[/quote]

the absolute cream on the cats whiskers...if you can hack low but effective tension these are the most all round..pun not intended..string on the market...
newtone platinum are similar

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='655438' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:18 PM']Blummin' expensive if I ever have to replace any, but I have a spare set each of JF324 & JF344, so I should be OK for ten years or so.[/quote]

My TI Jazz A string broke whilst recording a track this weekend. I was gutted as, not only was it the middle of the track, but I din't have spare flats with me - I've simply never broken a flat other than by doing something bloody stupid with it (e.g., using a LB on a string through body bridge). I managed to get back to the part, albeit on the E string, before the end of the bar which, I think, was pretty good going, but of course had nowhere to go as the part moved up the scale, and we had to sack that take. Don't know if TI do individual strings but if not it's an expensive break indeed. The string looked pretty worn (it snapped at the saddle), making me realise that I spend a lot of time on the A string and should perhaps get around the neck a bit more!

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='663028' date='Nov 23 2009, 06:51 PM']My TI Jazz A string broke whilst recording a track this weekend. I was gutted as, not only was it the middle of the track, but I din't have spare flats with me - I've simply never broken a flat other than by doing something bloody stupid with it (e.g., using a LB on a string through body bridge). I managed to get back to the part, albeit on the E string, before the end of the bar which, I think, was pretty good going, but of course had nowhere to go as the part moved up the scale, and we had to sack that take. Don't know if TI do individual strings but if not it's an expensive break indeed. The string looked pretty worn (it snapped at the saddle), making me realise that I spend a lot of time on the A string and should perhaps get around the neck a bit more!

C[/quote]

i had a little situation with my first set of jazz rounds...the windings were breaking on the fret faces
i suggested material failure to the engineers...they have a quality control section at thomastik...in austria..and they sent a new set and thanked me for the chance to check out the metallurgy of the broken set rather than just a complaint

just a thought

pity about the break though

and please please...use fretted A's in future :)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='663024' date='Nov 23 2009, 06:46 PM']the absolute cream on the cats whiskers...if you can hack low but effective tension these are the most all round..pun not intended..string on the market...
newtone platinum are similar[/quote]
Tell me more about the platinums. The website say they are available with round core. I am tempted.

[quote name='owen' post='663240' date='Nov 23 2009, 10:07 PM']Tell me more about the platinums. The website say they are available with round core. I am tempted.[/quote]

well its a puzzlement..i can only find one supplier which comes up on google
they havent got them in stock..and dont quote a price..except delivery of 1.95
i understand newtone is a luthier and they do loads of other instrument strings...yet i cant find any 'shop' for them
the round core attracted my attention as well and the non squeaky characteristics for recording
i wanted to compare ££ with TI rounds
i will let you know if i find out any more...
cheers

[quote name='Beedster' post='663028' date='Nov 23 2009, 06:51 PM']My TI Jazz A string broke whilst recording a track this weekend. I was gutted as, not only was it the middle of the track, but I din't have spare flats with me - I've simply never broken a flat other than by doing something bloody stupid with it (e.g., using a LB on a string through body bridge). I managed to get back to the part, albeit on the E string, before the end of the bar which, I think, was pretty good going, but of course had nowhere to go as the part moved up the scale, and we had to sack that take. Don't know if TI do individual strings but if not it's an expensive break indeed. The string looked pretty worn (it snapped at the saddle), making me realise that I spend a lot of time on the A string and should perhaps get around the neck a bit more!

C[/quote]

I think I've broken 3 TI flat A strings. I've never broken an E, D or G. They've all broken at the saddle.

One of them broke only after about 4 months - but a lot of taking the neck on and off doing some work on the heel.

One of them broke on a string through body - after about a week. I read somewhere that they're not suitable at all for string throughs.

Edited by bigjohn

C[/quote]

[quote name='bigjohn' post='663800' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:37 PM']I think I've broken 3 TI flat A strings. I've never broken an E, D or G. They've all broken at the saddle.

One of them broke only after about 4 months - but a lot of taking the neck on and off doing some work on the heel.

One of them broke on a string through body - after about a week. I read somewhere that they're not suitable at all for string throughs.[/quote]
I've broken a TI Jazz Flat A string at the bridge too - it was about 20 months old and just beginning to sound really great.

Jazz flats - amongst the best strings I have used in 36 years bass playing. Mine are 5+ years on G&L SB1. It/they just stay in tune, hot cold, in/out of case. Plenty of zing/bite/treble. Slapping / level42 no problem No fret wear unlike rotos on my EB2 (though modern frets are probably much harder). Thomastiks on my double bass not a happy experience. Loud yes, projection yes, but tension and finger wear too much. A bit pricey - maybe, but over 5+ years they are not.