Why become a member? ×

Skyline Duck Dunn

bigthumb

After a couple of weeks of deciding which bass to part with I've come to a decision. I acquired a Sandberg PM in a trade for a cab which I have come to like, a lot! I couldn't really afford to keep both basses so sadly I have to say good bye to the Duck Dunn.

I got this during the summer from Absolute Music Solutions. I guess its a few years old although its practically unmarked. I'm lead to believe the it has a Lindy Fralin pickup which to me sounds quite 'aggressive', nothing like my old Precision. It has the usual Lakland build quality and the finish is gorgeous. It has a hard case so posting wont be a problem. If you need any questions answering or further pictures just pop me a PM. I managed to haggle the shop down to £840 plus postage. I'm happy to let it go for £650 posted.

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by bigthumb

I've never seen one of these before, and can't find much in the way of info... Is this a Lakland special or an Absolute Music special (i.e. Bob Glaub in disguise)? Either way it's a beauty, but I'd like to know if it has the jazz style neck.

I seem to recall this was a limited run of the first series of Duck Dunn basses that Lakland produced. It is essentially a Bob Glaub (normal P Bass neck) but in a different livery. I remember when Absolute Music had this advertised someone contacted Dan Lakin to confirm it was a Duck Dunn and he confirmed it was.

Only 250 or so of these basses were produced so it's a rare beast at a fantastic price.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='651014' date='Nov 10 2009, 08:35 PM']I seem to recall this was a limited run of the first series of Duck Dunn basses that Lakland produced. It is essentially a Bob Glaub (normal P Bass neck) but in a different livery. I remember when Absolute Music had this advertised someone contacted Dan Lakin to confirm it was a Duck Dunn and he confirmed it was.

Only 250 or so of these basses were produced so it's a rare beast at a fantastic price.[/quote]
I think it was a much smaller number than that - more like 30 or so - done in about 2003.

It is a Bob Glaub with an anodised pickguard called the Duck Dunn Special Edition.

Edited by EssentialTension

Here's the old catalogue for it:

[url="http://www.propiano.at/katalog/prospekte_pdf/laklandSkylineSeries.pdf"]http://www.propiano.at/katalog/prospekte_p...ylineSeries.pdf[/url]

On page 9 the Duck Dunn Special Edition in Sunburst with maple fingerboard and anodised guard - 'modeled after one of Duck's favorite 1958 basses': hence the 1.75 nut and no blocks or binding.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='krispn' post='650220' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:54 PM']Hey Andy our member numbers use the same digits ! how odd[/quote]
Lets start a family?

[quote name='Sean' post='650607' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:29 PM']Looks more like a Bob Glaub to me.[/quote]

NO! It's the initial run before they added the block inlays etc.
It's beautiful, so get over it.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='651215' date='Nov 10 2009, 11:55 PM']Lets start a family?

NO! It's the initial run before they added the block inlays etc.
It's beautiful, so get over it.[/quote]
I had a go on this when doing a trade on something else, looks lovely & a also great bit of wood, if I wasn't skint.....!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='651291' date='Nov 11 2009, 08:15 AM']Sorry but in respect to the seller no it isn't.

It's the original Duck Dunn.[/quote]
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, Duck Dunn Special Edition from 2003 - hence the Lakland catalogue for 2003.

But it uses the body and standard 1.75" neck of a Glaub unlike the present second version DD which uses Glaub body and Osborn neck with blocks and binding.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='651300' date='Nov 11 2009, 08:26 AM']Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, Duck Dunn Special Edition from 2003 - hence the Lakland catalogue for 2003.

But it uses the body and standard 1.75" neck of a Glaub unlike the present second version DD which uses Glaub body and Osborn neck with blocks and binding.[/quote]

Yeah I was just a little peeved at you calling it a Bob Glaub under another name :)

Not that BG's are anything but very nice basses too.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='651361' date='Nov 11 2009, 09:52 AM']Yeah I was just a little peeved at you calling it a Bob Glaub under another name :)

Not that BG's are anything but very nice basses too.

Peter[/quote]
Sorry to peeve you Peter - I didn't mean it quite that way - anyway, my apologies to you and any other offendees.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='651410' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:46 AM']Sorry to peeve you Peter - I didn't mean it quite that way - anyway, my apologies to you and any other offendees.[/quote]

Just me being a bit fussy I guess. I sometimes think folk don't think overly when they write on someone's for sale thread.

This is a great bass and if I played 4's I'd be seriously tempted.