Why become a member? ×

My Stingray's new coat

Old Horse Murphy

I bought a 1999 Stingray 4 a while back for a steal, but I can't say I was too convinced by the colour scheme...white with gold hardware. However, it has the nicest neck and maple fingerboard and it was worth it for it's playability.

It divided Basschat straight down the middle as far as people saying they liked or disliked the white and gold. I seem to recall MB1 in particular think it was the best looking bass he had ever seen and offered me a fortune for it (then again, time plays havoc on one's memory and I may have just imagined this bit).

Anyhow, being the fool that I am, I asked my wife what she thought of it. She hated it.

Cut a long story short, I (we) made the decision to get it refinished. The white body had a few scuffs on it, so it needed doing anyway.

I decided to go for a metallic amber after I'd come across a 1954 Studebaker online that had been resprayed the same colour.

After a bit of phoning/emailing I came across the Guitar Doctor based up in Chorley (ex-Patrick Eggle) and he agreed to refinish it and build it again with a John East pre-amp instead of the normal Stingray wiring.

4 weeks later and the refinish has been completed. I'm now just waiting for the bass to be reassembled and sent back down.

I appreciate it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but I can't wait to have her back!!

I do hope you'll agree though, that the colour match Rich has managed to achieve from the photos I sent him is remarkable.

The only sad thing about this story is that while I've been waiting for Ray to come back, I've fallen madly in love with my Teal SR4 again!! Can a man have 2 favorite basses? We'll see...

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Cool! All it needs now is some chrome trim and a supercharger.........
Lots of car finishes are really nice on basses. I recently reprayed a '66 Vox guitar in Audi pearlescent white (a crime I know, but I'd already stripped it some 20 years ago, as a foolish youth) - looked superb.
Anyway, do post the pics of the finished beastie!

Looks GREAT!!!! Congrats!!!! I recently 'topped off' my Trans Teal 'ray 5 with a set of DR 'Evergreens" coated strings. Nice green colour to match the EB MM Trans teal 5'er!!!!! + a set of red coateds for my red Precision!! :-)

So I reckon a set of GOLD strings would look awesome on yours. Dr's are great strings I've found.

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='Waldo' post='70109' date='Oct 5 2007, 06:55 PM']Did you ever ask on the EBMM forums about your bass? The gold hardware is very strange.

Replacing the preamp is sacrilege if you ask me though![/quote]

I did ask on the forums and apparently, they did use gold hardware once in a while but it was by special order (USA only I think).

I'm going to give the John East Preamp a go. If it doesn't sound right to me, I can replace the existing one...

[quote name='Waldo' post='70109' date='Oct 5 2007, 06:55 PM']Did you ever ask on the EBMM forums about your bass?[/quote]

:) Light the blue touch paper and stand back...

[quote name='Waldo' post='70109' date='Oct 5 2007, 06:55 PM']Replacing the preamp is sacrilege if you ask me though![/quote]
If it needs to be replaced with anything, certainly can't beat one of John East's wonderful preamps.

I replaced the pre on my stingray with a John East and the PU with a Nordstrand. Work quite nicely together, bit 'warmer' sound than the modern electronics I thought. Your new colour's not a million miles away from what someone had done to mine, they just didn't make a very good job of it on mine (very orange peely up close and paint drips!) . Doubt I'll have it refin'd though:

Edited by KevB

Finished!! Rich sent me photos this evening and I think it looks fanastic.

I take delivery this week sometime.

A refinish (custom colour), rebuild, wiring in the new pre amp, setup with new strings, a new ABS case and delivery (fully insured) for £271. I'd say that was an excellent deal and if it looks as good in the flesh, I'm a happy man.

I hope you like it. Will it replace my Teal SR4 as my number 1 bass? Only time will tell...

Edited by Old Horse Murphy