Why become a member? ×

Has anyone tried....

AndyTravis

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-guitars/bass-collection-norman-watt-roy-prototype.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-gu...-prototype.html[/url]

What's the deal?

Is it really worth [i]that[/i] much?

I love Norman (one of the nicest bass legends i've met - buying elites in my shop, i thought endorsees got freebies?)

I know the Jive, Detroit and Speakeasy are cheapies, but is this worth [b]THAT[/b][i][/i][u][/u] much?
I have missed out on a few of the old BC jazz types from the mid/late 90's (wooden pickguards???)

Has anybody on here seen or tried this particular one?

I wonder if Deano would send it to me to try?

It'd be a nice thing to have, i think.

Any thoughts?

Trav

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='641365' date='Oct 30 2009, 06:02 PM']What's the deal?

Is it really worth [i]that[/i] much?

I love Norman (one of the nicest bass legends i've met - buying elites in my shop, i thought endorsees got freebies?)[/quote]
Maybe to a collector.

I think there is a story that Norman Watt Roy had agreed to have his (correct me if i'm wrong) '64 Shoreline gold Jazz bass 'cloned' by a team of well respected luthiers.

Then once this prototype was made, the guys at the Bass Centre/House Music realised that, although Norman is very highly thought of in the bass playing community, his name, or association with the Blockheads among others would be able to sell relic'd Jazz copies.

If it is just a £199 Bass scratched up, then i'd be pretty amazed, whereas, if it's a custom made British Jazz type bass, It may well be worth a similar amont to their asking price.

I'm going to phone them and ask them, i'd really like to try it.

In contrast, has anyone tried the 'Detroit' - Precision, or 'Jive' - Jazz basses?

We've had the 'Speakeasy' ones in, and i think they were great playing and sounding, just a bit scrappy on the finish.

Quote from basscentre "Once we were satisfied with the feel and sound of the bass the reigns were handed over to Martin Sims to give the bass that authentic vintage look...."

Does that mean he made the mark at the top of the bridge pick up or is that a flaw in the photo

It's relic'ed up i think mate, NWR's 62 has a 'thumb' mark where he rests on the bridge pickup.

The main reason i was looking was because i deal with Dean who looks after Bass Collection a fair bit through work, and he's really sound, meaning i may get it a bit/a lot cheaper , and i'm a knob for anything to do with mega Fender style basses.

I also love the idea of it being the only one, and NWR having played it.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='leschirons' post='642155' date='Oct 31 2009, 08:59 PM']I'm assuming that for two grand, Norman Watt Roy will deliver it to you and then play it for you at your gigs.[/quote]

Mate, if that was the case, at least you know the gig would be in safe hands, that guy is a legend.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='642158' date='Oct 31 2009, 09:07 PM']Is it me, the photograph or a very strange take on Shoreline Gold?[/quote]

To be honest, i think the photo is a shocker, as if you would buy any bass for £2k on the back of at best amateur snapshottery?! Especially when you 'click to view larger' and it stays the same size?!
I don't know why they haven't just taken 5 or 6 really nice detailed photos. then the 'collectors' would be interested, And idiots like me would be able to drool without feeling totally clueless.
The fact that House Music haven't bothered with A 'BASS COLLECTION' website, detailing the range is crazy. As if you'd even bother to relaunch a range as highly regarded in the past with such a half arsed attempt.
Granted, the basses are now cheaper, but the brand has (or at least had) some credability in the bass playing community, if i were in charge, i'd have a boffin making at least a half decent Website for the brand.

While we're on the subject, what's the deal with the Bass Centre now, is it a 'web only' company,?

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='BassBod' post='642176' date='Oct 31 2009, 09:37 PM']So why haven't they just given Norman the "prototype" to use as a spare? He must've shifted (by reputation/association) tons of TE gear, plus Elites over the years.

I know it doesn't work like that...but..[/quote]

I had thought about this.

When Norman played with Wilko Johnson in Manchester (Witchwood, i think) about 2 or 3 years ago, he BOUGHT his own Elites...when i started playing, NWR was in the Elites Adverts in Bassist Mag.
I was going to ask why, but i was to busy being in awe.
A really nice bloke, even though i was a bit star struck!

Maybe he just didn't want it?

[quote name='wesfinn' post='642184' date='Oct 31 2009, 09:47 PM']you could get a much better fender custom shop bass for similar money!! Doesnt look that great to me[/quote]

Fair point...

It's just the story behind it i suppose, and the NWR connection.
Also it's a bit of a one off.

The thing is, if it was that great, would it still be on Bass Centres website after 18 months?