Why become a member? ×

To Futher My 3yr Run Of Bad Luck

phil_the_bassist

As a continuation to [topic="64171"]my previous Bitchin' and Whinging[/topic], I've just had some shithole bad news.

I've been medically recommended to stop playing bass.

Or at least, 'Stop Playing Bass Standing Up' which effectively ends my gigging until I can get it all fixed.

I had a fecker of an accident a few years ago, and it's caused me to have major back and shoulder problems where I've got a series of small fractures along my collar bone and mis-aligned shoulders, and my back is pretty fecked along the length. It's meant that I had to give up my tree surgery, rock climbing, kickboxing, surfing and going to the gym...and it basically left me with my bassplaying. Now, I've been told that wearing the bass on a strap exacerbates my shoulders, and I've tried wearing the bass on a belt-type strap...but that screws my lower back up.

So, yeah. Another bitch and whinge, but I feel like I need to get it out in the open cos none of my friends/family really understand just how hard a Kick In The Nuts this is to me.

o well, I'm off to find a bottle of something brown, flammable, at least 12yrs old, and scottish :wacko:

Commiserations, really, but I'm sure you can work a way around this.

Lighter bass, two bass straps - one over each shoulder - and a belt strap to better spread the load.

Or if even that isnt enough, they used to do stands for acoustic guitars and the like that held them in playing position - largely for spandex wearing lead guitarists who needed access to an acoustic in the generic power ballad in the set. Surely you could modify something like that to take the weight of the bass??

It might not look so cool, but you'd be gigging!

Sorry to hear that dude.

Could you maybe try playing an upright for a bit, then at least you may be able to find yourself a band on that? Saying that I dont know what kind of music you're into, so anything involving uprights may not be your thing!

Also just noticed that you cant do rock climbing cos of the injury, could you maybe do more relaxed indoor climbing to strengthen everything up? I find that if ive had a break from climbing I get backache, as climbing seems to regulate my posture, which gets totally messed up at work etc.

I really feel for you....

I know sitting down at a gig doesn't look cool, but, your health is important.

The suggestion of trying an EUB could also be a valid one - if the style suits the music.

I have a similar situation, neck joints shot to hell, and all but lost the use of my left arm and hand. I had to quit playing in a band due to the pain and lack of movement, and I was gutted.

It has taken years to get an operation to releave some of the pain and get some use back in the hand - but I will probobly never get the full use back, and I am under no illusions that I will ever be able to play in a band again.....

But......I am trying to, essentially, trying to re-learn almost from scratch to adapt to what I can do, and have started talking to Paul (Prosebass), to have one of his new hyperlight short scale PicoBass' built. This looks to be the best option for me...maybe you could have a chat and see if there is anything he may be able to sugges, as there seem to be several very light bass' in his build history.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best.

lol! I'd love to get the chops together to play an upright, and this'll be the perfect opportunity! :lol:

I've had to give up my sporting hobbies due to the failings in my shoulders. I can't lift my upper arms higher than about 20deg above horizontal (reaching for holds), I can't rotate my arms (swimming, paddling, punching), and I can't push forward (push ups, punching, benchpressing) without the joint moving like a knackered set of wheel barings. I'm in pretty much permanent discomfort, so much so that lifting a pint makes my shoulders crunch and crackle like someone popping their knuckles as everything moves and shifts!

I've got a steiny Synapse, and I still get the same problems. I've tried the double-shoulder straps, and it still screws everything up :) it's hopefully not permanent, as long as they can somehow fuse it all in place :rolleyes: which will be months/years away. I won't be able to get away with using a stool on either of my main gigs, so it looks like I'll be putting an ad up for my replacements!

Luckily, the fact that my upper arm>shoulder angles are pretty comfy when playing sat down means I'll just have to find theatre/studio work (methinks thats somehow easier said than done! :lol:) and I can't just battle through and ignore the advice cos that'll a: prolong the injury and b: affect the compo claim cos I'll be going against the doctors advice :lol:

whataloada balls, eh?

Bummer.
I remember seeing a video of John Patitucci playing a bass held in a stand so he could switch from a 6 to a 4 string in seconds- not sure where these stands are and how practical they are but would that be an option?

Found it-

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjZToHAIhE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjZToHAIhE...feature=related[/url]

..at around 0.33. You should buy the shirt too :)

Good luck and I hope you get something sorted.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='638828' date='Oct 28 2009, 09:56 AM']Anthony Jackson only ever plays sitting down and he ROCKS![/quote]

I was just thinking that!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXT07AnkYRE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXT07AnkYRE[/url]

I don't care if he's sitting down, thats bloody cool!

Actually I heard James Jamerson used to lay on the floor in the studio!

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='638870' date='Oct 28 2009, 10:37 AM']I was just thinking that!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXT07AnkYRE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXT07AnkYRE[/url]

I don't care if he's sitting down, thats bloody cool!

Actually I heard James Jamerson used to lay on the floor in the studio![/quote]

that was due to brandy though, not a shoulder problem :)

as far as sitting down, drummers do it all the time and no-one seems to mind. .

Why not get something like this?

EDIT: Image wouldn't appear. Here is the link

[url="http://api.ning.com/files/Ix82n8lexkq26znmbN*9oSs4ltiQHReoCOwj7t8SazZgOBmIqXny7Oiln6Ss5TPGtxcixI6PeBVH98zHnEOuemb2JcEsudZU/250pxAlex_Lifeson5.jpg"]http://api.ning.com/files/Ix82n8lexkq26znm...ex_Lifeson5.jpg[/url]

I'm sure one could easily be modified for a bass, and you could maybe put wheels on it so you could move around.

Edited by WonderHorse

I feel for you!! Until my shoulder was replaced 3 years ago I had had to move over to a Slider Strap to do gigs. The new metal shoulder did the trick (and bleeped through the metal detectors at the airport out and back on holiday much to Mrs W's amusement and delight)

Still can't do front or back crawl swimming though - probably 'cos I did not push the shoulder excercises in the immediate aftermath of the operation :)

Don't give up - there's loads of weight distributing harnesses on the market for various hobbies, or else buy some webbing and keep working at it til you make one that works. One that takes the weight off your shoulders and around your waist sounds like the way forward.

Also, there are loads of lighter basses, could make a huge difference. You might have to sacrifice some tone but it's a small trade off to keep playing.

Good luck.