Why become a member? ×

Rack Cases: Best/Best Value For Money?

Dubs

[quote name='Dubs' post='636761' date='Oct 26 2009, 10:18 AM']I'm looking at buying a 3u or 4u rack case and am after a bit of advice; what are the best rack cases, and what are the best value for money rack cases? Ideally I'm after something lightweight and cheap...[/quote]

Buy a second hand SKB roto-moulded (plastic) case. They are lightweight and v. strong. You should be able to pick up a case for £30-40.

[quote name='Dubs' post='636761' date='Oct 26 2009, 10:18 AM']I'm looking at buying a 3u or 4u rack case and am after a bit of advice; what are the best rack cases, and what are the best value for money rack cases? Ideally I'm after something lightweight and cheap...[/quote]

It depends on the weight of the item you are racking. Gator will do perfectly fine but I find they aren't as good as the SKB if any considerable weight is involved... I know there are a lot of guys who rate Boschma cases very highly. I know where my money would be going... and has gone. SKB.

With any case, I would avoid handles that aren't integrated into the case itself. The ones that are "stuck" onto the side of the case just don't cut it over time.

I've had a light fitting (solid cut glass effort) fall from a (high) roof onto the top of the SKB case (and we are talking a considerable lump of glass travelling at speed). It took the impact and whilst it has deformed slightly, everything inside the case was fine. It did it's job.

Edited by EBS_freak

I have a used SKB 4U case for sale @ £40 BUT the postage on top would push it closer to £50. :)

I own a 3U Gator case and I have to confess that it is fine for protecting my amp BUT I really get irritated by the fact that the catches are on the case not the lid (unlike SKB who got it right) and when it sits on top of a bass cab you can, at certain frequencies, get sympathetic 'rattles'; a little thing not noticeable to punters at gig volume but chuffin' annoying all the same.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='636929' date='Oct 26 2009, 02:34 PM']I have a used SKB 4U case for sale @ £40 BUT the postage on top would push it closer to £50. :)

I own a 3U Gator case and I have to confess that it is fine for protecting my amp BUT I really get irritated by the fact that the catches are on the case not the lid (unlike SKB who got it right) and when it sits on top of a bass cab you can, at certain frequencies, get sympathetic 'rattles'; a little thing not noticeable to punters at gig volume but chuffin' annoying all the same.[/quote]

Ah yeah! I forgot about that one!!

Some years ago in my former Corporate life I discovered EMS cases. We used a lot of them. They are light but built like a tank. I have several of my own and won't use anything else now.

They are expensive new but occasionally they come up on Ebay like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMS-400-MODULAR-RACK-EXPANDABLE-9U-ABS-FLIGHT-CASE_W0QQitemZ140355124079"]here[/url]. This is a very good deal.

Edited by obbm

Cheers for the advice guys; some interesting stuff there. I'll have to have a look into a few of the brand names mentioned. The stuff I'm looking at racking will probably come to a total weight of just over 20kg so I guess I'd be looking at a pretty heavy duty case.

[quote name='Dubs' post='637192' date='Oct 26 2009, 06:57 PM']Cheers for the advice guys; some interesting stuff there. I'll have to have a look into a few of the brand names mentioned. The stuff I'm looking at racking will probably come to a total weight of just over 20kg so I guess I'd be looking at a pretty heavy duty case.[/quote]

As far as I am aware all of the cases mentioned will be fine with that weight. I had a Warwick Protube IX head that weighed more than 20kg and it was housed in a Gator and then an SKB case no problem. If you have a bit of weight to the contents of the case you might want to look at the weight of the cases themselves; I recall that the Boschma cases are fairly hefty (which probably makes them a better bet when involved in a hefty knock and having seen WoT's case it could take a fall out of the back of a transit... on the motorway! :) ) and if it is just a case to carry in and out of the car with limited chance of a proper tumble then some of the lighter cases might be as appropriate and less hernia inducing. :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='637213' date='Oct 26 2009, 07:13 PM']As far as I am aware all of the cases mentioned will be fine with that weight. I had a Warwick Protube IX head that weighed more than 20kg and it was housed in a Gator and then an SKB case no problem. If you have a bit of weight to the contents of the case you might want to look at the weight of the cases themselves; I recall that the Boschma cases are fairly hefty (which probably makes them a better bet when involved in a hefty knock and having seen WoT's case it could take a fall out of the back of a transit... on the motorway! :) ) and if it is just a case to carry in and out of the car with limited chance of a proper tumble then some of the lighter cases might be as appropriate and less hernia inducing. :lol:[/quote]

:rolleyes: I've had experience of near-hernia inducing flight cases in the past... not again :lol:

Cheers for the advice though, and I might be in touch about that SKB. Just have to see if I can get my other gear sold...

[quote name='kingforaday' post='642912' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:22 PM']+1 for boschma rack cases, i am literally as happy with mine as its possible to be with a rack case![/quote]

Well I've just bought a pre amp and negotiated into it a Boschma rack, and it looks great :rolleyes: Not sure it's the right size for my power amp though... :)

[quote name='Dubs' post='643690' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:27 PM']Well I've just bought a pre amp and negotiated into it a Boschma rack, and it looks great :lol: Not sure it's the right size for my power amp though... :)[/quote]
When I had it, it was far too big for my poweramp, but I'd rather have too much space in my rack than not enough.

Boschma cases ARE bulky, but having gone from a Boschma to a Gator and then back again, you realise what you're missing when you move away from a quality rack case! Bulky but great :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dubs' post='643690' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:27 PM']Well I've just bought a pre amp and negotiated into it a Boschma rack, and it looks great :lol: Not sure it's the right size for my power amp though... :)[/quote]

What size is the rack you are getting and what size do you need? I only ask as I have a fairly old 4U SKB case (still solid and intact but well gigged) and I could have traded (cash your way) if your case suited my needs better. :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='643696' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:38 PM']What size is the rack you are getting and what size do you need? I only ask as I have a fairly old 4U SKB case (still solid and intact but well gigged) and I could have traded (cash your way) if your case suited my needs better. :)[/quote]

The power amp is due to arrive any day this week, so I'll know soon enough. From the spec it's going over-hang at the back by about 0.9", but this might be ok. I'll have to wait and see, that's if the power amp actually ever does turn up :rolleyes:

I've got rack cases from EMS, Gator and Boschma as well as a couple of traditional ply and metal sheet ones.

Whatever you decided to go it's best if the movable part of the catch mechanism is on the lids so there's nothing to rattle when you're playing.
The EMS cases I have have the catches on the case itself, however their modular construction makes up for this. Basically you buy the case 3U at a time, so if you know your rack is going to grow over time this is a great benefit. Also the top of the rack can be removed if you want a mixer or similar in there. I have one with a 12 channel mixer in the top and another with a tray that hold my laptop.

However for a sturdy no-nonsense rack case for a good price IMO you can't beat the Boschma. I'm using a 6U for my current bass rig. If you want something chunkier then I guess your looking at shock mount racks and the extra bulk that comes with them.

• 10 months later...

ive already replied to some similar threads, but seeing as it was this thread that gave me the idea of getting a boschma case i thought its best for me to feedback also...

got a 2u shallow boschma case today - very impressed.
out of boschma, skb, gator id put them in that order. boschma has the most rigid plastic, skb is good but the plastic is a little more flimsy. i bought a gator once and sent it back as it was very flimsy, plus the catches are on the case itself, not on the lids - unlike boschma/skb ...

my 2 bobs worth