Why become a member? ×

A lesson in why you should always buy your cables from OBBM

tayste_2000

So I recently aquired an Alembic F-1X preamp, having decided that I should run my rig differently.

So going from
Mesa Boogie 400+ into 4x10
(Slaved into)
Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 into 8x10

Prior to running this I'd just run the 400+ at 2.67 ohms, which is fine but decided this would be better, then the next problem is 400+ provides 4x10 with near 400w and 8x10 is being provided 200w per side so 400w in total.

So I've gone to

Alembic F-1X
Into
Strategy 1 into 8x10 (Strategy Left into Bottom of 8x10, Strategy Right into Top of 8x10)
Strategy 2 into 4x10 (Strategy Left into 4x10, Strategy Right - OFF)

It sounds amazing, so I had the drummer with me and was showing off, going listen to a 3rd of my rig (1 half of the strategy with 1 4x10) then I started doing this with the 8x10 and all of a sudden the bottom 4x10 with 200w of power was louder, fuller and generally amazing sounding compared to the 8x10 with 400w. So I tried the other half, top of 8x10 and other side of Strategy and low and behold same sound, again bigger than the 8x10. Put them both on, loud, quite full, little bit distorted.

Suddenly went, OMFG the cab is wired out of phase with it's self, can't believe I've been using this for a year and it's been wired out of phase, then it dawned, there was nothing wrong with the cab but I was sending 2 cables to the 8x10, 2 NONE OBBM 20ft cables I had bought on BC cheap to save money, took them apart and sure as hell one of the speakons was wired up differently.

Now many may say, how could you have not heard this, well I've used cabs out of phase before and it is clearly noticeable, massive loss in volume and aweful sound. The 8x10 is still loud and I've eq'd it thinking this is how it sounded. Also note that since I only recently aquired a preamp the only way I've been able to run the Strategy is with the 400+ which needs a load so the 4x10 has been on and again this is so loud and full it's difficult to tell if one half of a cab isn't working right. Also only been using the rig with 400+ and Strategy for a month or 2 and by having a 4x10 nand rack on side of stage and 8x10 on the other the sound was always loud and full anyway.

So here is the moral, make sure you check what you buy, or buy from OBBM and get it right first time.

Can't freakin believe it.

If I had a pound for every time I saw our band's previous Bass player destroy a very lovely Yamaha head by connecting it to a cab of totally unknown specification with a nice sparkly red guitar lead, and then be all surprised and hurt about it, I'd have £3 now. I was just their live- in sound monkey in those days, but I watched, and I learned, and my rig has some awesome- ly fat proper speaker cables from Mr OBBM now :)

Edit, for the benefit of thepurpleblob

ebay seller Bassic bits = OBBM on here = bestest cables your money can buy, andyou wont need very much of your money to get them, either :rolleyes:

Edited by Daquifsta

Well I can't find OBBM or Bassic Bits on EBay. I assume it's this link [url="http://www.bassic.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic.co.uk/[/url] ? I don't know a lot about cables other than an old band mate who used to work at a hifi store taught me not to skimp on cables. I tend to use high quality expensive cable and often unbranded ones designed for bass and figure I can't go too far wrong with that philosophy

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='635095' date='Oct 24 2009, 09:16 AM']Well I can't find OBBM or Bassic Bits on EBay. I assume it's this link [url="http://www.bassic.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic.co.uk/[/url] ? I don't know a lot about cables other than an old band mate who used to work at a hifi store taught me not to skimp on cables. I tend to use high quality expensive cable and often unbranded ones designed for bass and figure I can't go too far wrong with that philosophy[/quote]

I'm sorry that you can't find me. My Bassworld/Basstalk/Basschat User name is obbm. Yes I've been here for a long time. My Ebay Username is bassic-bits. Try following the links in my signature.

[quote name='obbm' post='635097' date='Oct 24 2009, 09:21 AM']I'm sorry that you can't find me. My Bassworld/Basstalk/Basschat User name is obbm. Yes I've been here for a long time. My Ebay Username is bassic-bits. Try following the links in my signature.[/quote]

Thanks. I thought it might be you but wasn't sure if your username was because you really liked the cables (I'm guessing you do anyway!?) or because it was actually you. Next time I buy cables I'm happy to keep it in the family and will check you out .

The Ebay search function was confused by the lack of a simple "-" character.