Why become a member? ×

I was actually only after one new bass, but then this happened...

tredders

Well, I'd flogged a couple of basses on here, and had some serious GAS for a Precision. In my Wanted ad, I'd listed a number of basses, but the top two in the list were a US '62 Precision Re-issue, or a 70's Precision in black / maple. I'd been looking hard for a couple of months, and eventually saw a US '62 Re-issue on eBay. Contacted the seller, got lots of pics, and to cut a long story short, this arrived yesterday: -

Mmm, came with a nice Castle Cases flightcase - top quality bit of kit!

And inside was this beauty: -

It's a beauty - a 2009 model, with all of the case candy included (strap, lead, ashtray, tags etc). Even had the plastic cover on the scratchplate. It could do with a setup, but sounds massive, and I got it for what I consider to be a really good price. The finish is gorgeous - it's almost too nice to risk taking out of the case and playing. Almost!

Now here's the thing. Literally an hour after making the Paypal payment for the '62, I received a PM from Thunderthumbs on here.... Due to the limit on the number of pics I can post in a single message, you'll have to see Part Two for details :)

Mark.

Edited by tredders

Well, as I was saying in Part One, less than an hour after I'd made payment for the '62, I receive a PM from Thunderthumbs. He sent me a set of pics of his '76 Precision in black and maple! Agh - I'd just spent up all my spare cash on the '62!

Well, you can probably guess the rest :) This also arrived yesterday: -

Absolutely fantastic bass - can't tell you how happy I am with this. Sounds great - I've been hammering out Stranglers and Jam tunes on this since it arrived! Pete was a top bloke, too - delivered it to my door during his 650 mile bass-selling and buying tour of England yesterday!

Mark.

Edited by tredders

Thanks for all the comments. Have to say, I'm well chuffed with both of them. I (almost) wish that the 62 was a bit mojo-d, since I hold my breath every time I get it out of the case. The 76 is great - already well used, but lovely neck and sound, and I won't be too worried if I dink it. They both sound very different...

Regarding some of the comments above, the flight case is indeed great - it's a Castle case (http://shop.castlecases.co.uk/index.php?cPath=35_113) and retails at £172.50, inc P&P. Before seeing this one, I wouldn't have considered spending that much on a case, but after seeing the quality of it, I'd heartily recommend it. Bloody heavy with the P bass in there, though...

And yes, I did polish them before taking the pics :). They won't stay that way for long, though.

Both are booked into Peter Allen's workshop (http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk/) next Thursday for an MOT and setup, and I ordered some TI flats for the '62 today, so he'll fit those at the same time.

The most amazing thing is, I think I'm virtually GAS free now. Well, apart from a Jetglo Ric, and an EUB, oh, and if a "real" vintage P came up at the right price.... :rolleyes:

Mark.

Edited by tredders

[quote name='Musicman20' post='633919' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:12 PM']Im loving the P Bass love! :)

Great basses!

My GAS for basses is up once my Lakkie gets here. But next year, 62 Reissue P or 75 Reissues J![/quote]

'75 Jazz re-issues are lovely! I've had TI flats on mine for a while, and it sounds and plays great.

Mark.

Flippin 'eck you are a lucky chap! That Jazz is as nice as your Ps - I've never seen an Oly White 75RI and it looks great contrasted with the black s/p (the Jazz equivalent of the P I just sold to Gareth/MusicMan20)

Any more you're hiding? :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='633932' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:24 PM']Flippin 'eck you are a lucky chap! That Jazz is as nice as your Ps - I've never seen an Oly White 75RI and it looks great contrasted with the black s/p (the Jazz equivalent of the P I just sold to Gareth/MusicMan20)

Any more you're hiding? :)[/quote]

Thanks! I love the Oly White / black combo, too. Here's the last of the (current!) four I have: -

Mark.

[quote name='Beedster' post='633995' date='Oct 22 2009, 11:07 PM']I was also only after one...

[attachment=34980:Precisions.JPG]

At the time I thought I could justify owning each and every one of them. Idiot :)[/quote]

Bloody hell! What a collection... what are they? (left to right?)

[quote name='tredders' post='633997' date='Oct 22 2009, 11:13 PM']Bloody hell! What a collection... what are they? (left to right?)[/quote]

There was a bit of mixing of necks going on during this period (basses 1 and 3) but here's some detail:

1. '75 body/'73 B width neck. PUPs etc original. Good bass.
2. Bitsa fretless with rosewood board and SD PUPs. B width neck. Surprisingly good bass really
3. '73 body with JPUP at neck (matched J/P pair from Wizard), '75 A-width Precision neck. More of a Jazz really :)
4. '77 maple board fretless. Awesome, just awesome. Have spent most of this year finding another like it
5. '82 Fullerton '57 Reissue. C width neck. Light as a feather, great sustain, great treble response. Exceptional build quality & tight neck pocket. Clearly not an authentic Fender Precision :rolleyes:
6. '78 with non-original ebony fretless board. B-width neck. A monster, weighed a ton and sang. Tone was a bit bright for my liking.

The shocking thing is that the pic was taken just over two years ago and I no longer own any of them (I think the therapy helped) :lol:

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='634221' date='Oct 23 2009, 10:31 AM']There was a bit of mixing of necks going on during this period (basses 1 and 3) but here's some detail:

1. '75 body/'73 B width neck. PUPs etc original. Good bass.
2. Bitsa fretless with rosewood board and SD PUPs. B width neck. Surprisingly good bass really
3. '73 body with JPUP at neck (matched J/P pair from Wizard), '75 A-width Precision neck. More of a Jazz really :)
4. '77 maple board fretless. Awesome, just awesome. Have spent most of this year finding another like it
5. '82 Fullerton '57 Reissue. C width neck. Light as a feather, great sustain, great treble response. Exceptional build quality & tight neck pocket. Clearly not an authentic Fender Precision :rolleyes:
6. '78 with non-original ebony fretless board. B-width neck. A monster, weighed a ton and sang. Tone was a bit bright for my liking.

The shocking thing is that the pic was taken just over two years ago and I no longer own any of them (I think the therapy helped) :lol:

Chris[/quote]

0)
Need some more Precisions? I can help there, Chris :lol: