Why become a member? ×

really not sure what to do

cris the man

I lent a (£1000) combo to a responsible grown up experienced sober musician friend of mine a few years ago. His had gone bang that afternoon and he had a good gig to play.
When it came back the next day he told me the dolly trolley wheels were crap on kerbs when he had walked it the 3 miles home at 3 in the morning.
the carpet was all ripped up underneath ....

I do like to help though so I bought gear I can lend out. I have an old Peavey 300 combo and a Japanese P bass that, should they return with damage I'd not be too upset.
The Peavey's been on a few adventures without me since I got it and the P bass has had a few oiks play it at jams. No damage so far (except to te audience when the guy borrowing the Peavey found out how loud Peavey watts are :))

But no, I'll not lend my nice gear to anyone.

[quote name='OldGit' post='633918' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:12 PM']I lent a (£1000) combo to a responsible grown up experienced sober musician friend of mine a few years ago. His had gone bang that afternoon and he had a good gig to play.
When it came back the next day he told me the dolly trolley wheels were crap on kerbs when he had walked it the 3 miles home at 3 in the morning.
the carpet was all ripped up underneath ....

I do like to help though so I bought gear I can lend out. I have an old Peavey 300 combo and a Japanese P bass that, should they return with damage I'd not be too upset.
The Peavey's been on a few adventures without me since I got it and the P bass has had a few oiks play it at jams. No damage so far (except to te audience when the guy borrowing the Peavey found out how loud Peavey watts are :))

But no, I'll not lend my nice gear to anyone.[/quote]
at the end of the day you did him a favour, he damaged your bass and doesnt seem to have made up the balance of that favour! this is a no brainer....he either pays up to repair the damage, you take him to the SCC, or you dont talk to him again..

his arrogance in saying he wont pay up for something he has done, would be enough for me...if anyone damaged one of my basses and said they wouldnt pay for it, would know about it..

i know the cost may be less but if he drove your car, and put a dent and scratch on the body, would you let it go...?

this is your call, and depends on the way you feel..but whats right is what right...and this is not right... IMHO..

Just to add, i was playing a gig recently and the erm...sound man asked on behalf of the on coming band, if the bass player could borrow my bass as he had erm...erm... forgotten his???? He wanted to borrow my CS Jazz. i said a polite no....i was later watching the band, he had borrowed a bass and proceeded to play..i could tell the guy was pissed..he played sh*te, and the music seemed like it called for it..he was knocking the bass around, wacking the headstock against the wall..put it down against a wall and you know the rest..

Also a guy used my Aguilar rig because it was a pain to move the stage around...a guy with a super hot HH stingray turned the gain on 3/4 without touching the master....never lend gear out..they dont care..

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='633398' date='Oct 22 2009, 01:23 PM'][i]"Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry. [/i]

Shakespeare on loaning out gear.[/quote]

Tell me about it - tried to blag a lute from him once, he was having none of it

[quote name='Platypus' post='634004' date='Oct 22 2009, 11:25 PM']Tell me about it - tried to blag a lute from him once, he was having none of it[/quote]ha ha..great stuff....im going to write strongly worded sonet about this subject....thou shal...maybe not

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='633971' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:43 PM']Just to add, i was playing a gig recently and the erm...sound man asked on behalf of the on coming band, if the bass player could borrow my bass as he had erm...erm... forgotten his???? He wanted to borrow my CS Jazz. i said a polite no....i was later watching the band, he had borrowed a bass and proceeded to play..i could tell the guy was pissed..he played sh*te, and the music seemed like it called for it..he was knocking the bass around, wacking the headstock against the wall..put it down against a wall and you know the rest..[/quote]
Had a similar request with a band we were supporting, I had to ask myself "What kind of bass player 'forgets' to bring his bass to a gig?" and the only answer I could conjure up was "A sh*t one".

In my case it was my beloved Ric 4003. I agreed to let him soundcheck with it - he had enough time to go home and get his bass between their soundcheck and their set - and when I handed it to him I told him how much it cost me and that if he damaged it, dinked it, scraped it or did anything I didn't like with it, I would break his hands. I felt like a prick saying it, but having seen them previously and how he treated his own gear, I wasn't in the mood to take any chances.

Can you really trust a bass player who "forgets" his bass?

Edited by Doctor J

Tbh there's some people who i would be happy to loan gear out to. People who i know will treat it with the same (if not more) care that they treat their own instruents.

It's the folk you don't know who seem to think it's their right to use whoever's gear just because they couldn't be bothered or forgot to bring their own. Even worse when their's is damaged through their own stupid behaviour

[quote name='Doctor J' post='634139' date='Oct 23 2009, 08:36 AM']Had a similar request with a band we were supporting, I had to ask myself "What kind of bass player 'forgets' to bring his bass to a gig?" and the only answer I could conjure up was "A sh*t one".[/quote]

IMHO, that hit the nail squarely on the head :)

If this guy has the nerve to say he wont pay anymore for a proper repair or replacement than frankly he is no friend of yours!

If any of my friends did anything to my basses the first thing they would do would be pay for it to be proffesionally repaired if it could be, and if not they would pay for a new one. They are all musicians so they completely understand.

I say take what he has given you as SCC could be a lot of effort and time, chalk it down to experience and never speak to the pr*ck again. If he truly is your friend he will do what he needs to (buy you a new bass, or pay fro proper repair) to get back into your good books and mend the damage. If he doesn't well he's a tw*t and it's one less idiot you have in your life.

Sorry got a bit wound up for you then, not usually that agressive but broken gear and irresponsible people make my blood boil.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='634146' date='Oct 23 2009, 08:47 AM']Tbh there's some people who i would be happy to loan gear out to. People who i know will treat it with the same (if not more) care that they treat their own instruents.[/quote]

Maybe the stock response when someone asks to borrow your gear should be "Sorry, I don't lend my gear[size=1][sup]1[/sup][/size] out to anyone until I've seen how they take care of their own."

S.P.

[size=1][sup]1[/sup] though, if you use [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=64193&view=findpost&p=633918"]OldGit's method[/url], you'd replace this with "my best gear"[/size]

[quote name='Doctor J' post='634139' date='Oct 23 2009, 08:36 AM']Can you really trust a bass player who "forgets" his bass?[/quote]
No!

A bassist who forgets to take his bass to a gig?...Are they the same type of people who walk out of the house in a morning, only to look down and realise they forgot to put their clothes on?!

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='634478' date='Oct 23 2009, 02:40 PM']No!

A bassist who forgets to take his bass to a gig?...Are they the same type of people who walk out of the house in a morning, only to look down and realise they forgot to put their clothes on?![/quote]

HEY THAT'S NOT FAIR I WAS HAVING A REALLY BAD MORNING AND YOU PROMISED YOU'D NEVER MENTION IT AGAIN!

S.P.

What a scumbag. Being a lazy scrounger is not a geniune reason to hide from your responsibilities!

Some people will tell you to just drop it, if it were me i'd follow it up though. Inform him it'll cost him more and have far more serious implications if he allows it to get to court.

However people like that often dig themselves into a hole by not facing up to their problems

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='637615' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:12 AM']What a scumbag. Being a lazy scrounger is not a geniune reason to hide from your responsibilities!

Some people will tell you to just drop it, if it were me i'd follow it up though. Inform him it'll cost him more and have far more serious implications if he allows it to get to court.

However people like that often dig themselves into a hole by not facing up to their problems[/quote]

he got through uni without working at all, all thanks to mummy :)

[quote name='cris the man' post='637617' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:16 AM']he got through uni without working at all, all thanks to mummy :)[/quote]

Have you tried speaking to her? Try and shame her into re-imbursing you! "Your lazy son.... living off my taxes..."

Life lessons are all well and good but i'd rather you get the bass repaired or replaced

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='637826' date='Oct 27 2009, 12:57 PM']Have you tried speaking to her? Try and shame her into re-imbursing you! "Your lazy son.... living off my taxes..."

Life lessons are all well and good but i'd rather you get the bass repaired or replaced[/quote]

yeah , i'm thinking of making it a project. My cousin from america said about warmouth or something? apparently they do body repairs and build new ones etc
I could make a superbird :)
the thunderbird is no where as user friendly as the jazz bass, but sounds really nice

might need to do some frankenstein work

i get ma boys to com jump him init were u live bruv?

No, in all honesty I think most of the comments made here are quite lenient, if my friend borrowed a piece of equipment that was even somewhat precious to me and he damaged it, I wouldn't hesitate to introduce physical violence. I wonder what that says about me for one of my first posts :)

Anyway, I'm not that kind of person really, but you just don't f*** with a mans instrument! I have a crappy old guitar which is quite precious to me, if anything were to happen to it I'd go mental. I can't really explain the relationship between a man and his instrument (please don't misinterpret the word instrument :rolleyes:).

Some people don't give a hoot though do they? They're the same people who on the way to/from clubs when pissed kick wing-mirrors off cars because it's not theirs and it's "fun".

There's only a few people I'd lend anything too, I used to get a bit tetchy with my own family forgodsakes but that's passed, mainly because I've grown up and we all like sharing now.