Why become a member? ×

Badass bridges - are they worth the money?

Dom in Dorset

Dunno but it seems like a sellers market at the moment. I believe there is a problem with supply so anyone selling one is charging high prices. I don't know if its just a fashion thing a "must have" on the bass. Still they look nice and chunky and I have been considering one

I've got one on my Jap Precision and it does everything it's supposed to and makes everything seem a bit more solid. I've also got a new USA Precision with the high mass bridge, I can't see the point in replacing that one though.

I suppose it depends on what your thinking of replacing

Some people say they don't make any difference but many people say they do! Fender seems to be using high mass bridges on their more expensive lines so I guess they finally have Fender's seal of approval!

I would do all I could to upgrade a Fender but is the difference worth the cost to you?

The Gotoh 201 will do as good a job as the Badass, but a considerably cheaper price. I've had both the Badass and the Gotoh, and the Gotoh would be my preferred choice. I think the Badass bridges are just a little too big and can look overwhelming on some basses. The Gotoh seems to sit right on most if not any bass. Just my 2 pence worth.

I have a Badass 2 on one of my Jazz copies and there was an improvement over the standard piece of tin so i would fit one again. I like the Hipshot one on my ACG well i think its Hipshot.

Edit Yeah its a Hipshot type A.

[url="http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=130"]http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?...etail&p=130[/url]

Edited by metaltime

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='633164' date='Oct 22 2009, 09:01 AM']It's been interesting to note that there haven't been any "wow, just get one , no other bridge comes close" responses.[/quote]
I have a Badass II on my Precision. It sustains better and appears to have better harmonic content than the bent piece of tin that was on there before. I wouldn't call that much of an accolade though. I think their main popularity stems from the fact that anything is better than Fender stock bridges, and the screw holes are designed to line up perfectly so you don't have to go and drill holes in your precious bass.

I much prefer the two-piece bridge on my Warwick.

THEY ARE AMAZING.
They increase your sustain HUGELY, they look AMAZING, you dont get saddle wobble like the bent bit of tin Fender used, I bought one for my Jazz and its made SO MUCH diffrence its untrue.

Reality:
I only noticed the a slight dif on the sustain, but that might just be me thinking it helps loads rathen then it doing loads. It was a MIM Jazz, I havent noticed much dif changing to a BA on more expensive basses. They do look good.

Result:
Get one if you like the look of them. they are nice things and it does stop the saddles moving.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='633686' date='Oct 22 2009, 07:18 PM']THEY ARE AMAZING.
They increase your sustain HUGELY, they look AMAZING, you dont get saddle wobble like the bent bit of tin Fender used, I bought one for my Jazz and its made SO MUCH diffrence its untrue.

Reality:
I only noticed the a slight dif on the sustain, but that might just be me thinking it helps loads rathen then it doing loads. It was a MIM Jazz, I havent noticed much dif changing to a BA on more expensive basses. They do look good.

Result:
Get one if you like the look of them. they are nice things and it does stop the saddles moving.[/quote]

They do on a Fender, but put one on a Ric and its not untrue its night and day.

[quote name='Protium' post='633727' date='Oct 22 2009, 07:47 PM']Couldn't get the action low enough due to the massive base plate. Went back to the Gotoh 203 - bent tin done properly :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: sounds like you fitted a ''1'' on a Fender?, they built the ''2'' for Fenders because of this.

[quote name='peted' post='633431' date='Oct 22 2009, 01:58 PM']I have a Badass II on my Precision. It sustains better and appears to have better harmonic content than the bent piece of tin that was on there before. I wouldn't call that much of an accolade though. I think their main popularity stems from the fact that anything is better than Fender stock bridges, and the screw holes are designed to line up perfectly so you don't have to go and drill holes in your precious bass.

I much prefer the two-piece bridge on my Warwick.[/quote]
+1 on every statement that you have made there mate!