Why become a member? ×

The Midget makes its debut

Happy Jack

[b]Background:[/b]

I was running a WTX260 through a Barefaced Big One from April this year, playing half a dozen gigs with that rig plus plenty of rehearsals. I posted my account of its first gig ([i][b]The Battle Of Bethnal Green[/b][/i]) at the time.

Loved the sound and the presence, but in truth I did struggle to hear myself sometimes. My band has two (loud) guitarists plus a keyboard player, we all sing (so there are mic-stands everywhere) and the venues we've been playing have rarely allowed a sensible arrangement for the five of us. It doesn't help that my hearing seems to struggle to hear low frequencies, hence my fascination with in-ear monitoring. Everyone else loves the sound, and it comes over beautifully in recordings - it's just me who's struggling. :)

The mobility of the Big One is excellent at gigs, but our rehearsal room involves a set of tricky metal steps followed by two nasty turns in a narrow corridor. Realistically, this is a carry job with a side-order of barked knuckles rather than a roll-on roll-off affair.

I recently upgraded from the WTX260 to a WTX500, which has supplied a bit more oomph and way more headroom than I'm likely to need. I now tend to play a bit louder (which annoys the lead guitarist, but then, EVERYTHING annoys the lead guitarist) but I'm still using IEM.

[b]The Midget:[/b]

Alex brought my Midget up to Bass Bash, where a number of you played through it, or at least heard it being played.

I took it along to rehearsal last Tuesday having hammered it in the garage all Sunday. I was easily convinced that I didn't need to take the Big One as back-up so I just strolled up the stairs and along the corridor with my amp in my back pack, my bass in one hand, and the Midget in the other. Result.

I put it on the floor in the corner, with the WTX500 on top. Basically, it looks like someone's taken a full-sized rig and washed it on too hot a setting. :rolleyes: Next time, I'll take a photo of it next to the Ampeg SVT 810 rig.

Plug and play, and the sound was astonishing. We rehearse at close to full gig-volume so we were playing pretty bloody loud, I was competing with a Vox AC30 (yes, a real vintage one) and a Marshall 410 stack, and I was cutting through just fine. I was nowhere near the limits of what that cab can do and most of the time I didn't bother with my IEM because I didn't need it.

Alex's description of the relative sounds of the two cabs made perfect sense. The Midget reaches its volume by sounding "angry" - there's a real snarl to it and the mid-range is great. I was playing a Fender Roscoe Beck V and I found that I was using it almost constantly on the "Jazz" setting, whereas I almost always play through the Big One on the "Precision" setting.

The low B wasn't quite as awesome as when I play through the Big One, exactly as you'd expect. What wasn't expected was how well it [i][b]did [/b][/i]handle the low B - no farting out worth mentioning.

There are two things I need to mention:

Firstly, most of my sound problems with this band connect to the keyboards, and the keyboard player wasn't at this rehearsal. I really need to hear it with him there.

Secondly, halfway through the session I indulged in some foolish knob-twiddling on my pedal board and somehow screwed up my sound. I need to make sure that I can get back, get back, get back to where I once belonged.

I'm now seriously tempted to try running the Midget on top of the Big One. After some negotiation, Alex has accepted that this doesn't [b][i]necessarily [/i][/b]contradict the pureness of his sound ( :lol: ) so I'll certainly try this at my next gig. I suppose this will then [i]segue [/i]into the [u]Midget badge orientation[/u] thread ...

I don't normally post reviews until I've had a reasonable amount of time with a piece of kit but [s]Alex is offering so much cash[/s] I'm away on holiday for the next week and I've got no gigs in the diary so I thought I'd give an early heads-up to anyone who's interested.

If you're based in or around West London, happy for Basschatters to come and try my Midget at sensible neighbour-friendly volumes. Best wait until I get back from Sicily though.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='630632' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:43 PM']I'd like to try your Midget on my Compact (ooh err Missus!) one day if poss H.J.?

Jon[/quote]

You'll struggle to do that at sensible volumes in my garage!

I heard that rig (Compact + Midget) at the Bass Bash. It was ... erm ... really quite loud. :)

I wish I'd taken one instead of the Big One to my last gig - as we had a big PA with subs I didn't need to fill the room with lows, so the Midget would have done as good a job, just without the need to cut the lows on the amp. Would have had excellent comic effect against the giant Mesa 1516 everyone else was using! :)

Alex

[quote name='stevefletch59' post='632873' date='Oct 21 2009, 09:44 PM']If you want to send one to me I'm playing a gig next week with a death metal band and I'll be using my Compact with no PA support, that should give the Compact/Midget rig a good try.[/quote]

What date's your gig?

Alex

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='639417' date='Oct 28 2009, 08:16 PM']I really want to try one of these (and/or a compact) with my GB Shuttle, are there any owners in t' North?[/quote]
Hey bud, I have a Compact. Using it this Saturday at the Admiral Duncan but no other gigs for a little while.
Let me know if you want to borrow it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='639410' date='Oct 28 2009, 08:06 PM']As promised:

Ashdown 810 to the left (with an Ampeg head on top), original Vox AC30 to the right, sitting in the middle - my shrunken rig.[/quote]
Kewl. The Midget actually looks narrower than the fingerboard on the Roscoe Beck. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='632110' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:30 AM']Need to get some more Midgets out there to get pushed to their limits! I think this could be the first production 1x12" that can actually hang in a RAWK band. :)

Alex[/quote]

Hey Alex, do you have any plans to send one out on tour? I'd love to put the Hartke through it with the three piece!

Update!

[b][i]Rehearsal[/i][/b]

This week we had the keyboard player but not the lead guitarist. Oh well. I had the Big One on a raised platform with the Midget on top, which put the Midget at near-enough head height. The rig looked really cool (should have taken a piccie, will do next time) and sounded superb.

It tended to get just a tad muddy on the B-string, certainly more so than when I play with just the Big One, but that was more than balanced by the ease with which I could hear myself.

In the end, I found that I was only using the IEM when I was singing. The rest of the time I was perfectly happy.

[b][i]Audition[/i][/b]

Tried out last night with these people: www.myspace.com/beltermusic

Bass is obviously very up-front in their mix and the out-going bassist had a really nice Ricky clank going on, so I took along my Ibanez fretless with the action as low as I dared.

"Backline will be provided." Yeh, right, I've been to Scar Studios before. :)

So I walk in with my WTX500 in a bag over my shoulder, the bass in one hand, and the Midget in the other.

"What's in the box?" says Angelo. When I swing it round to show him the grille he says: "So that's like your monitor, is it?"

Put the Midget on the floor in front of a truly horrendous home-built stack (410 on top of 215, with a big Marshall head on top of it all) and it looked like I'd put down my lunchbox. :rolleyes:

Fired it up and started playing - dropped jaws all round. The Midget cut through beautifully, I had no problem hearing myself even with the cab barely reaching my knee, and the band actually asked me to roll off the mids a bit (which I had turned up) because it was "too aggressive"!

Result. :lol:

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='646206' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:22 PM']This thread has got me really excited about the Midget and compact style cabs...

As soon as my Markbass 6 x 10 goes I think my shopping list for markbass Traveler cabs may be a think off the past![/quote]

As much as I like the Markbass traveller cabs, and I've had three of them, my Compact is superior in every way. You can't go wrong.

Frank.

I'm looking for a lightweight doubling cab which will sound great for both upright as well as bg.
Will the midget be to agressive? Whichone of the two midgets will be smoother the midget or the midget T?
Just some questions, I'm currently using a tecamp puma 112 combo, but have difficulties cutting thru and it's often sounding quite boomy.