Why become a member? ×

Best Chromatic tuner for my bass? Plus Rack versus Pedal? Pros and Cons

AttitudeCastle

Hey All

I am using a Korg DTR2000

but have had and still have a BOSS TU-2 (fantastic pedal!) its at the start of my pedals powering them, and also a quick check for tuning during those long held notes

and still have a Petersons strobostomp (the original)

as you can see i have a thing for being in tune!

=S

i don't know much about them but i use alot of them (two is more than average right? lol)

Adam

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='jim_bass' post='624958' date='Oct 13 2009, 01:49 PM']Korg pitchblack - worth every penny. Tracks the lows like a dream. Used to have a rack tuner, but too much to carry - this one fits in my bass case. Also useful mute switch.[/quote]
+1
I was after something good quality, compact and reliable that could track a low-B easily and the Pitchblack really is good IMO. Really easy to read and cheaper than the boss aswell AFAIK.

Pedals are also useful as you can use them as a mute switch either whilst tuning or not playing.

[quote name='Thump Boy' post='625691' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:42 AM']I like this one. It will tune 2 octaves below a low B and has a built in mic so the horn section can use it too.

[url="http://www.chromatic-tuner.com/peterson-stroboflip-vs-f-virtual-strobe-tuner"]Peterson StroboFlip VS-F Virtual Strobe Tuner[/url][/quote]

+1 for Peterson.

I have the older VS-1 and its the most accurate and stable tuner on the market. They are expensive but worth every penny.
[attachment=34426:Strobo_VSAM.jpg]

Frankly, I never tune my bass so that the 'in tune' light is perfectly in the middle anyway, as my Korg is accurate enough that it is nearly impossible to keep ONLY the middle light lit. Close enough is good enough! I would love a Strobostomp, but can't help feeling that I'd be wasting my time trying to keep the bass more in tune than it needs to be with one.

I've got a TU-2. It's tracking is painfully slow, innacurate, and, frankly, a bit all over the place. Still, no one - and I mean no one - can tell the difference when I tune from going 1 red dot to the left to a green dot in the middle. I don't get why people want to be in tune to a millionth of a cent. sounds like OCD to me.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='626429' date='Oct 14 2009, 09:34 PM']I've got a TU-2. It's tracking is painfully slow, innacurate, and, frankly, a bit all over the place. Still, no one - and I mean no one - can tell the difference when I tune from going 1 red dot to the left to a green dot in the middle. I don't get why people want to be in tune to a millionth of a cent. sounds like OCD to me.[/quote]

Certainly when you're playing live, it's less of an issue. When in the studio, it's nice to get your tuning spot on, as you're going to be listening to that recording so many hundreds of times, eventually even the tiniest discrepancy will start to grate on you.

S.P.