Why become a member? ×

Signature Flea Bass

danweb22

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='629669' date='Oct 18 2009, 06:33 PM']I never knew anything about these until i saw them hanging in the less than inspiring music shop in Selfridges... my first thoughts i'll be honest were "what the hell is that monstrosity"

I asked the girl to have a quick go on one and she plugged me through a little Hartke practice amp, so i'll have to be compassionate when i come to discussing the sound.

The finish of the bass is terrible, if anything unacceptable, the neck felt unfinished, i swear there were rough patches all the way up the neck, the frets were razor sharp on the edges, the strings were at least 3-4mm off the fretboard, as discussed earlier the paint job was so so sloppy, it looked thick and it filled up the neck pocket where the wood didn't, now some of these things could be consequence of a poor shop set up but check out the website, Flea and his bass companies manifesto is that no bass leaves the factory unless its perfectly setup and ready to play...... hmm.

The pickup sounded very weak, not alot of output at all, crackly pots, slack tuners, cheap bridge.... oh dear...

The bass was however incredibly light, so people who prefer lighter basses might want to check it out, but apart from that, as someone before me stated for £400 they're having a laugh and playing massively on the name.

Even if this bass was sub £200 it would be a joke compared to a Squier or Warwick Rockbass.[/quote]

Sharp frets are the worst. Can you imagine some poor young kid after a few hours of playing? Disgraceful.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='629678' date='Oct 18 2009, 06:40 PM']Sharp frets are the worst. Can you imagine some poor young kid after a few hours of playing? Disgraceful.[/quote]

Exactly. I thought these were meant for younger players who want quality at a cheap price?

The manufacturers are relying on Flea's name to sell an inferior product. I wonder if Flea himself has actually played the production model that ends up in shops? He should be made to gig every inferior one and see how he likes it!

I remember a youtube video where he had a tantrum at his bass tech, these basses should put his feet back on the ground!

[quote name='Greene-Mann' post='629729' date='Oct 18 2009, 07:26 PM']I think they look kinda like an obliterated stingray made in an LSD tab dropping "special school"...
What a piece of sh*te!
any one got any idead exactly what country theyre made in??
For the price theyre asking you can get much better basses...[/quote]

For the price they're asking you could get 3 much better basses!

Well......I'm going to defend the design....... :)

I think they look good actually, not everyone's cup of tea, but they're different, and I know for a fact that they do appeal to younger players. I think if the QC was sorted they'd be getting a better press from folks. I'll reserve judgement until I've had one in my hands on that, but in terms of [i]design[/i] alone, I really like them.

A lot of people hate Bongos, purely because of the design, but it's an outstanding bass. Of course I'm not comparing the Fleabass to a Musicman in terms of quality, but from a [i]design[/i] point of view, the Fleabass is pleasing on the eye, [i]to me[/i], it's just a shame that Flea's made some promises with regard to the QC, that to be honest, we all knew he couldn't possibly follow up.

Shame, I really wanted it to be a good bass, maybe they'll sort out the teething problems.

No you can't compare the fleabass to musicman in quality, but you REALLY can't compare the design either.

The Bongo may look ugly to some, but the design is incredible...it is designed to be the ultimate in comfort and function, those contours, angles and weight distribution...it's damn near perfect. It looks fantastic too...

Essentially what they have done with the fleabass is get a generic 'encore p bass' style body, whack a circle on it, slop a bit of playschool style paints on and BAM. There you go, a brilliant bass that flea is happy to endorse. I'm shocked to say the least.

[quote]EACH BASS WILL BE MADE WITH CARE AND THOROUGHLY CHECKED FOR QUALITY. WE TAKE PRIDE IN EACH INSTRUMENT

IT IS OUR STEADFAST INTENTION TO MAKE AN INEXPENSIVE BASS GUITAR

THAT IS NOT A TOY THAT BREAKS AND HAS LOUSY INTONATION, AND HAS AWAKWARD ACTION, LIKE SO MANY CHEAP BASSES I HAVE ENCOUNTERED WITH YOUNG MUSIC STUDENTS
BUT IS A SERIOUS INSTRUMENT THAT PLAYS BEAUTIFULLY AND THAT WILL ONLY GET BETTER WITH TIME
AND LOOKS COOL AS HELL[/quote]

big LOL

• 1 month later...

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='629669' date='Oct 18 2009, 05:33 PM']I never knew anything about these until i saw them hanging in the less than inspiring music shop in Selfridges... my first thoughts i'll be honest were "what the hell is that monstrosity"

I asked the girl to have a quick go on one and she plugged me through a little Hartke practice amp, so i'll have to be compassionate when i come to discussing the sound.

The finish of the bass is terrible, if anything unacceptable, the neck felt unfinished, i swear there were rough patches all the way up the neck, the frets were razor sharp on the edges, the strings were at least 3-4mm off the fretboard, as discussed earlier the paint job was so so sloppy, it looked thick and it filled up the neck pocket where the wood didn't, now some of these things could be consequence of a poor shop set up but check out the website, Flea and his bass companies manifesto is that no bass leaves the factory unless its perfectly setup and ready to play...... hmm.

The pickup sounded very weak, not alot of output at all, crackly pots, slack tuners, cheap bridge.... oh dear...

The bass was however incredibly light, so people who prefer lighter basses might want to check it out, but apart from that, as someone before me stated for £400 they're having a laugh and playing massively on the name.

Even if this bass was sub £200 it would be a joke compared to a Squier or Warwick Rockbass.[/quote]

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='629678' date='Oct 18 2009, 05:40 PM']Sharp frets are the worst. Can you imagine some poor young kid after a few hours of playing? Disgraceful.[/quote]

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='629736' date='Oct 18 2009, 06:31 PM']For the price they're asking you could get 3 much better basses![/quote]

[quote name='Master blaster' post='629742' date='Oct 18 2009, 06:35 PM']I think i read that flea helped to design this bass. His goal was to develop a bass that will inspire young kids to pick up the instrument. Hence the bright colours. If this is true then flea should never design anything else... Ever.[/quote]

[quote name='Jigster' post='629776' date='Oct 18 2009, 07:14 PM']I have to confess I was drawn towards and touched one in Denmark Street last Friday morning - I reached forth and laid a finger on the fretboard and recoiled with an instant "ugh" - it felt nasty and I wasted no time in retreating.[/quote]

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='635684' date='Oct 24 2009, 09:30 PM']I was just thinking on the same lines... He's a great fun player to watch but is his bass as crap as the ones I looked at and played??[/quote]

Well folks looks like you are all wrong ! And it is now official ....Guitar and Bass magazine has just voted it best sub £500.00 bass and that was with a list price of £440.00...
I think it says more about the magazine than the bass , and I for one will never read , let alone buy the said magazine again.
I find it really sad (bearing in mind newcomers to bass would look to such a magazine or indeed parents looking to buy a bass for an offspring for christmas) that they have the audacity to print such utter crap......obviously they must get a lot of advertising revenue from the distributor, shame on them :)

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='629024' date='Oct 17 2009, 07:41 PM']personally, i'm gutted these basses exist. I think they're OK sounding, but the quality is patchy to say the least. And they aint cheap.
Go to fleabass.com, 'if it isn't right, it won't hit the stores, we'll set every single one up'.
BULLSHIT!
My Childhood hero is a bellend.[/quote]

This is pretty much where I'm at too. That and I love one hot minute, it's a real fave. Hated 'californication' and really really really hated 'by the way'

[quote name='Prosebass' post='667748' date='Nov 27 2009, 08:36 PM']Well folks looks like you are all wrong ! And it is now official ....Guitar and Bass magazine has just voted it best sub £500.00 bass and that was with a list price of £440.00...
I think it says more about the magazine than the bass , and I for one will never read , let alone buy the said magazine again.
I find it really sad (bearing in mind newcomers to bass would look to such a magazine or indeed parents looking to buy a bass for an offspring for christmas) that they have the audacity to print such utter crap......obviously they must get a lot of advertising revenue from the distributor, shame on them :)[/quote]

perhaps they should be sent a link to this thread?

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='630085' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:36 AM']+1. For me as well.[/quote]

RHCP died in 92!

The bass does look interesting.
Tried the wee one and the manchild version in a shop in Dublin a fortnight ago. Foul!!!
The neck felt like sliding down a sheet of sanpaper with broken glass and razor blades stuck to the edges.
Pickup was less than impressive-weak as a small kitten with an iron deficiency. It was plugged into a Mark Bass 4x10 and I genuinely did not expect it to sound that bad!
While I agree that the design is eye-catching and may not be everyone´s cup of tea, the build quality is seriously pi**-poor.
And if it WAS indeed set-up at the Factory, the tech that did the set-up needs serious schooling!

I have played basses based purely on aesthetics before. I tried and 5mins later bought, a Daisy Rock Candy bass in glitter pink (even recorded with it!)
That was a low budget bass designed with a specific market in mind, and it didn´t suck ass!

Some other player-designed basses have been great Hoppus, Harris, Geddy Lee, Dirnt, Jeff Berlin...
Really gutted that such a great player and inspiration to a few generations of player would stick his name on something this cheap!
Awful

[quote name='Duarte' post='629769' date='Oct 18 2009, 07:02 PM']No you can't compare the fleabass to musicman in quality, but you REALLY can't compare the design either.

The Bongo may look ugly to some, but the design is incredible...it is designed to be the ultimate in comfort and function, those contours, angles and weight distribution...it's damn near perfect. It looks fantastic too...[/quote]

You know I really like the Bongo, but ergonomically I find it to be awkward and nowhere near the most comfortable of basses. I actually think the Stingray is far more successful ergonomically, although I prefer the Bongo in many other ways. If the Bongo was more comfortable I'd already have bought one.

FWIW these " album x is great and album y is crap - no it isn't - yes it is" things are just hilarious. As a starter for ten who makes the best burgers? On your marks....

Edited by 4000