Why become a member? ×

Advice on depping

JPS

I've got my first ever dep gig in a few weeks. Seem like a nice bunch of guys, got about 20 songs to learn as I already know a few, setlist looks fun etc.

Just wondering whether anyone has got any good advice for the virgin dep (as it were) in terms of learning the songs, dos and don'ts on the night etc.

Cheers

JPS.

Sounds cool..

It depends how you want to go about it.. are you reading, or are you just learning the tunes?

I'm one of the latter. My process is:

1 ) Work out what key each tune is in
2 ) Listen to the songs as often as possible
3 ) When - and only when - the song begins to take a hold of my mental jukebox, I'll pick the bass up and plunk along.

At this point, I'll start putting my cheat sheet together with descriptions of stops, key changes, etc.

As for the gig, all the obvious stuff applies. Get there when they ask you to get there, help with the gear, clarify and bits you're not sure about during the check, buy the drummer a pint... and have fun.

Just learn the sections to the songs, have the structures in the back of your mind but be ready for their own arrangement of the songs.
It's kinda the same as asking "for any changed keys, intros, missed/extra verses/choruses etc", but to be honest, key changes are what 5 strings were built for, and anything else can be spotted by listening and watching :)

Good luck
Si

p.s.
WoT's process is a good one, although for me, the key is irrelavent, it only matters for practising the song to the original perhaps, work out the shapes within the key.....because you'll need to move it about if you are playing in dfferent keys!
BUT
Key changes within the song are still very important......just be aware of the Interval

Make sure you're learning the same version of the songs as the rest of the band. Any tracks that fade on record you'll need to establish what the ending is. Write an 'Idiot sheet' for the tracks you're sketchy on using a big marker pen! Turn up on time. Be nice (even if the keyboard player is an obnoxious little twat!) DON'T GET DRUNK UNTIL AFTER THE GIG!!! but most of all....enjoy yourself.

[quote name='Sibob' post='611999' date='Sep 29 2009, 02:17 PM']p.s.
WoT's process is a good one, although for me, the key is irrelavent, it only matters for practising the song to the original perhaps, work out the shapes within the key.....because you'll need to move it about if you are playing in dfferent keys!
BUT
Key changes are still very important......just be aware of the Interval[/quote]
Oh, aye - I forgot to mention something... confirm the keys before you start any of this. :-)

Also, if you need to shift keys to play along, download Audacity.

Clarify what they want! If I dep for a rock/funk thing, I rely on my ears and get through by approximating the original (most of which I have usually heard if not played before). I did one dep where the bandleader had the hump because I didn't play the parts 'as per the record' (should have prepared charts then, shouldn't he :)). I won't learn 30 tunes for a dep gig. I haven't got time. Its charts or 'close enough', I am afraid.

Great advice guys cheers. I've got the setlist, have already asked for the keys etc and have have got one rehearsal to iron out any major misunderstandings. Is it acceptable to use chord charts for a one off dep gig? I know it can look a bit naff but it makes life a lot easier when having to try and learn 20 odd songs most of which I've never played before.

You get a rehearsal? Jammy get. :)

As for chord charts.. I'm sure the band will be happy with whatever sounds good, unless they're particularly image-conscious. Try and get a handle on the songs though, and fall back on the chord charts if neccessary.

Personally, I draw the line at a music stand. I'd rather stare at my cheat sheet on the floor.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='612017' date='Sep 29 2009, 02:30 PM']the bandleader had the hump because I didn't play the parts 'as per the record' (should have prepared charts then, shouldn't he :)).[/quote]
Couldn't agree more - doesn't sound like much of a bandleader if he wants that level of accuracy from a dep but doesn't have the initiative (or is just plain too lazy and arrogant) to prepare charts!

Back on topic, always keep your eye out for any cues for endings, stops etc, and try to work out early on who is leading the band the most so you know where to look and who to follow.

Chord charts or cheat sheets are generally acceptable, IME, but it's always a good idea to check beforehand and try to make sure they aren't too intrusive - a music stand in the centre of the stage at face height probably isn't the best way to use them...much better to keep it tucked away to the side, just out of view of the audience, if possible.

My attitude is that every dep is an audition. If you pass they'll use you again and will probably pass the word around. It's surprising how poor the competition can be. If the others turn up late or don't know the numbers, you'll be top of the A list in no time. Call it vanity or professional pride but I always try to be better than the guy I'm depping for!!

Get mp3's of any originals or covers with specific arrangements.

If they want to do a cover song that is the same as the original, see if it's on YouTube, but beware keys on YouTube can be wrong if the video isn’t running at the correct speed.

Get a set list and get the keys. Email the list back with the keys to check that they are right.

You can learn the numbers if you want. I don't learn every note but I write a chord chart for each number, containing stops, starts, riffs and anything else I need to know. Use black ink!

Rehearse the numbers so you know the fingering and where any tricky bits are.

Turn up early, ask if you have to wear anything specific, ie tie, black clothes, be smart but fit in.

Get a music stand. Ask where they want you to set up. Do they want a sound check? When do you get paid and is it cash or cheque.

Don't worry about bum notes. Get the feel wrong and the notes right and you’ve failed. Get the feel right and they should be very happy.

Good luck.

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='612032' date='Sep 29 2009, 02:46 PM']Chord charts or cheat sheets are generally acceptable, IME, but it's always a good idea to check beforehand and try to make sure they aren't too intrusive - a music stand in the centre of the stage at face height probably isn't the best way to use them...much better to keep it tucked away to the side, just out of view of the audience, if possible.[/quote]

+1 Yep, done that. If you're careful you can obscure it further with a big mikestand just in front of it.

yep..all of the above..

eyes and ears always...

Chord charts with notes are better on the floor unless it is a jazzer, when everybody gets parts on the stand.

In the rehearsal, try and get the endings or establish how you can easily tie the song off... The songs can be wobbly throughout, but if you end well, that at least can obscure what went on before..
If in doubt the drummer should walk you through it and even set up the good ol' rocknroll ending...

Also, if in doubt..lots of doubt here, follow the guitarist's hands for chords..as his version will be more correct than yours despite the notes you have :)
When the singer steps up to the mic, he is probably going to sing, so that is a clue if you get lost... if he points to his head... it means from the top of the song..and by the end of the evening you'll have learnt a few other choice signals.

Once you get this first one out of the way, the next call you get to dep goes like this;
How much, how long, where and what is the dress code...??????

Enjoy..it will probably be a roasting but once you get a rep for being able to drop in and cut it, you can work with so mnay more people...

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='612102' date='Sep 29 2009, 03:47 PM']Oh, aye.. if you can , set up right next to the drummer and watch him like a hawk.[/quote]

The one big tip I picked up from a deppin' thread recently was that drummers tend to take a big breath before a "feature" like a roll or whatever. And the drummer's features happen at marker points in the tunes so yup, watch the drummer, and the singer and the guitarists hands, and your large black ink floor-mounted cheat sheet ... all at once :)

As you've got a couple of weeks before the gig you should have enough time to
learn the set. Don't expect to rehearse- I've never done a rehearsal for a dep gig.

I will occasionally use charts if it's at very short notice,but not if I've got a couple
of weeks to learn the set. Most bands play similar songs,so there are usually only
one or two that I don't know already. If you know the stock tunes it makes life
so much easier.

Find out how much is on the gig before you get there,that way there will be
no surprises if it's not much.Don't be afraid to ask for more if you are expected to
rehearse.

Ask the MD what you should be wearing at least a few days before the gig. This
gives you time to get your shirt washed.

If it's a reading gig,take your own Stand and Light.

Find out the address of the venue and plan your route-Sat Nav's don't always
get you to the right place.
Find out the arrival time and get there early. Give yourself plenty of time to
get lost and allow for traffic hold up's.

Personally when i am Depping or freelancing,
and there is no pad on the gig i would get the MD/Bandleader to email a set list, and the keys.
Better to learn the tunes you dont know rather than have bits of paper on the floor.
That can be a disaster,bad lighting, slick bands doing quick segues,
[and you are on your knees f##king around looking for parts]
Better to be confident and in control before you get on the gig,
people will not worry about the odd clam if you are fitting and sitting well in the band.
This is in the ideal world of course,
Normally what happens is the band is not as together as you were lead to believe,
and half way through Mustang Sally or I will survive you start to wish you had
Run of and joined a factory when you had the chance.
:)

Garry