Why become a member? ×

Bass Players Day Brighton Nov 1st 2009

51m0n

[url="http://www.bassplayersday.com/"]http://www.bassplayersday.com/[/url]

Dont know if anyone else on here has heard about this so I thought I'd post it, looks to be a decent line up!

From the website:-

[quote]Dave Barnard & Juliette Golding
Present a
BASS PLAYERS DAY
Sunday Nov 1st. 2009 12-7pm.& 8-11pm
The Portland Rock Bar & Green
153 Portland Rd, Hove BN3 5QJ
Tel ( 01273 ) 383840

Running Order

ROCK BAR EVENTS 12– 7pm. £5 entrance ( consc) £3.50

The Rock Bar Stage is available for Jamming throughout the event , Back-line supplied

12.00 pm DOORS, MEET, MUSIC, MASTERCLASS ( GREEN ROOM ).

2.00 pm SPECIAL GUEST...HENRY THOMAS, ROCK SCHOOL.

4.00 pm BRIGHTON BASS ORCHESTRA, Throb. ( Dave’s Workshop group ) ‘In Concert’.

4.20 pm SPECIAL GUEST….THE INSTITUTE, ( ICMP) PHIL MANN.

6.00 pm RAFFLE & COMPETION prizes etc. with “ BIG” FRANK .

HOT & COLD FOOD MENU 1—6pm

MASTER CLASSES (GREEN ROOM)

Please note £3 cover charge for these Clinics ( tickets from door)

12 noon DAVE BARNARD. The Building Blocks of Bass

1.00 pm FRANCOIS DeVILLE BASS, What is it good for?– GLUE!

3.00 pm HERBIE FLOWERS. How to survive in the Music Biz and stay HAPPY!

4.30 pm STEVE LOCKWOOD. Rock Bass

5.30 pm. PHIL MANN Playing the Shows

6.30 pm FRANC O’SHEA Bass & Beyond

BRING, BUY, SELL, EXCHANGE OR JUST EXHIBIT YOUR BASSES, STRINGS, VIDEOS, DVD’s, MAGS[/quote]

Well I think I will, and take my eldest too, he knows Herbie quite well from the last two Rockshops he went on, so he wont want to miss out, plus I've not seen Terry Popple for a while and he's an old mate from years ago (and a superb drummer to boot), a jam with him is always worth while!

Doh... looks like I'll miss this as well (along with Bass Day and the SE Bash :) ) as it's my first weekend off from gigging/rehearsing - I'm away chilling out - I thought it was a week later than it is - nevermind at least I'm playing lots of bass at the mo... see you next year!

Mike

[quote name='stinson' post='616116' date='Oct 3 2009, 11:09 PM']Can someone please go into Immediate down Sydney Street and tell Fat Ian to get down there, a great ska bass player and Brighton legend. Tell him Hardy recomends it. :)[/quote]

I know Fat Ian, used to swim with him in the same club when was were ickl'uns. He was significantly less fat then, and had a very very fast freestyle!

Lovely fella...

• 2 weeks later...

I shall definitely be attending this as Dave likes the idea of having a wall of Barefaced cabs on show! I'll be doing a workshop on acoustics and tone at 2pm, which unlike the other workshops will be free, because I'm worth it.

Alex

P.S. Just noticed I'll be Herbie Flowers' warm-up act. Am scared...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='626147' date='Oct 14 2009, 04:25 PM']I shall definitely be attending this as Dave likes the idea of having a wall of Barefaced cabs on show! I'll be doing a workshop on acoustics and tone at 2pm, which unlike the other workshops will be free, because I'm worth it.

Alex

P.S. Just noticed I'll be Herbie Flowers' warm-up act. Am scared...[/quote]

Herb is a lovely lovely bloke, completely unassuming and daft as a brush, dont worry about the fact you are the warm up for a studio legend with more credits than you've had hot dinners (heh heh :)) If its any help if you feel at all overawed just remember his biggest hit was "Grandpa (we love you)" [guffaw!]

He also has an encyclopedic range of amusing anecdotes to fall back on. When he does the Rockshop (which Plux has attended twice now) concert we get a couple of minutes of Herbie Spiel between each band, and he never dries up (knocks things over sometimes though :rolleyes:

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='alexclaber' post='626147' date='Oct 14 2009, 04:25 PM']I shall definitely be attending this as Dave likes the idea of having a wall of Barefaced cabs on show! I'll be doing a workshop on acoustics and tone at 2pm, which unlike the other workshops will be free, because I'm worth it.

Alex

P.S. Just noticed I'll be Herbie Flowers' warm-up act. Am scared...[/quote]
Cool! Will get a chance to hear them this time as I was too busy at the SE bash...

• 2 weeks later...

Quick reminder-stylee bump - this is on this Sunday, chaps!

Alex, will you be bringing your troupe of BareFaced Midgets? (Oh the mental imagery that conjures :))

If so I'll bring my rack as well as my bass, cos I'd really like to hear one with all my gubbins running into it (especially a T'Midget if one is ready!!!)

See you there...

Si

I'd intended going to this, provided nothing came up....
Curses -- something has come up! :)
Got a band rehearsal (pffft, what do they know about Bass Days?! :rolleyes: )
Oh well, maybe next time?
To those who are going, have a great day and I look forward to seeing any photos here after the event.