Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

budget bassist

I adore the massive, filthy, rhythmically mindbending groove that Jon Stockman (and Steve Judd) lay down in this track

Using my Darkglass Alpha Omega Photon to cover the song that sold a million Alpha Omega pedals

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 2

On 12/05/2023 at 15:27, Naigewron said:

I adore the massive, filthy, rhythmically mindbending groove that Jon Stockman (and Steve Judd) lay down in this track

Using my Darkglass Alpha Omega Photon to cover the song that sold a million Alpha Omega pedals

Would love to see your settings for this one.

49 minutes ago, TomWIC said:

Would love to see your settings for this one.

Absolutely :)

Stainless steel strings (DR Lo-Riders in my case) give me the high end zing I want. In addition, I keep my action fairly low and smack the crap out of my strings to get that real throaty attack. You can hear in the middle section from about 2:52 into the video how the aggressive attack completely goes away when I pick lightly.

Cab IR is the Shiftline Mesa RR215 from their free bass IR pack. Best IR I've ever tried for my tones.

Here's the Photon settings for my drive preset that you hear in the video.

Drive set to full Alpha side, distortion mode 1, about 60% drive and blend. Most importantly: Mids are definitely your friend:

2023-05-1818_44.06(Custom).thumb.jpg.1cb7ca2246e0cd4c6b5c9768dc0487de.jpg

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 1

It was my 50th birthday party last night so I surprised my guests by playing bass with the band we hired. Their bassist didn't mind stepping down for one, which was just as well because I made him film it.
This is the first time I've played bass in public, with just a quick run through during soundcheck prior to the party starting.

The guy making most of the noise is my twin brother. Also his party. Obviously. 😁

Edited by DawnPatroller
  • Like 20

Go for it DP! Looks like you had fun. Good to see a bass player smiling. Love the rock out bit with the guitarist at 1.50. Now you've got the taste for live playing will there be some more?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mep said:

Go for it DP! Looks like you had fun. Good to see a bass player smiling. Love the rock out bit with the guitarist at 1.50. Now you've got the taste for live playing will there be some more?

Haha I doubt it, I might need to learn to play bass first!

Well, I wasn't wrong when I said that other bassist didn't mind stepping down for one at my party ... He kindly packed my gear away for me at the end of the night and I've just come to put my bass back on its stand now I'm back home and found a note from him inside my case 😂

Nothing ventured!!

• Like 6

On 21/05/2023 at 16:28, DawnPatroller said:

It was my 50th birthday party last night so I surprised my guests by playing bass with the band we hired. Their bassist didn't mind stepping down for one, which was just as well because I made him film it.
This is the first time I've played bass in public, with just a quick run through during soundcheck prior to the party starting.

The guy making most of the noise is my twin brother. Also his party. Obviously. 😁

Good Job! Bonus points for all the stop/starts... always a danger point when playing unrehearsed.

And looking like you were enjoying it too!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Who says the bass player can't pull? Or maybe it doesn't count if it's another bass player 😀!

I suspect it is something to do with legs, but could be wrong. 

• Haha 2