Why become a member? ×

Tokai Thunderbirds vs Epiphone Thunderbirds - Opinions Please?

lukertweek

Hi guys,
I'm a relative newbie to bass, some of you may have seen my posts before. Anyway, I am looking to buy a Thunderbird. I don't have enough dosh to stump for a Gibson or of course I would. So I am looking at the alternatives and the two that crop up are the Tokai and the Epiphone (unless you guys know of any others worth considering in that sort of price bracket).

So any guidance you all could offer would be very gratefully appreciated. Also if any one here is selling or thinking of selling their T-Bird please let me know. I have no qualms about buying used.
Thanks in advance.
Luker

[quote name='ezbass' post='606732' date='Sep 23 2009, 04:26 PM']Haven't had one, but given that the Tokais are proper T Bird construction, and that they build good guitars generally, I reckon the Tokai T'Bird would be best IMO.[/quote]

The current TB48's don't have the proper T Bird-construction. They have an alder body and a one piece maple set neck instead of the 9-piece laminated mahogany and walnut neck. But they're nice basses and they definitely have the looks and sound cool.

Edited by LeftyJ

I had a Tokai T/bird up for sale here a while back but nobody wanted it, so stuck it on ebay and it sold ok. the humbuckers on it were pretty loud and sounded good. there's the neck dive but that didn't bother me, i just did not like the feel of it., if your going for a Thunderbird i would recommend the Tokai.

I've owned 2 Epiphone ones and both were seriously good basses. Tokai make great stuff and I've often wondered about their T-birds. The reality is that I am not really a T-bird kind of bass player (just a fan from the sidelines). If the quality of Epi T-basses is as good in 2009 as it was in 2004 I reckon you can't go wrong with either.

The current Tokai model is a bolton neck, as posted above, and is made in Korea. I find that the better Epiphones are much of a muchness in terms of quality with the Tokais, albeit that they Tokais are in my experience somewhat more consistent. Where Tokai win out in a very big was is in the range of finishes - Epi do, I think, two or three; Tokai do all their models in all the colours, and you can order one from them in any one of the colours on their full list, for no extra charge. They also do everything lefty, wehich Epi certainly don't do, which is a big win for me but I doubt affects you on the basis that you're already considering the Epi.

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='606758' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:48 PM']The current TB48's don't have the proper T Bird-construction. They have an alder body and a one piece maple set neck instead of the 9-piece laminated mahogany and walnut neck. But they're nice basses and they definitely have the looks and sound cool.[/quote]

Oops my bad :)

Greco. Most seasoned (original) Thunderbird players'll tell you the 60's and early 70's T Birds were a world away sound wise to the current crop of copies. Asides from the shape, the original T Birds had very hot, mid biased pickups that made a Precision growl sound like a kitten in comparison. The newer reissues and copies all use far weaker, wider range soapbars so you'll have more or less the look but not the sound. Greco made some very faithful copies in the early 80's, pickups and all, that will normally go for around the £400 mark on Fleabay. If you can stretch to that and are happy buying old and used, it's the closest you'll get to a 'proper' T.bird this side of 3-4 grand :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='608052' date='Sep 24 2009, 07:26 PM']Tee has an Epi for sale in basses for sale at £150, which is a pretty good price.[/quote]

Indeed i do and indeed it is. :)

I prefer the Epis, as the body is similar to the Gibson. The Tokais are a bit bloated, ie wider than the Gibsons and Epis. Personal preference though.

Edited by Tee