Why become a member? ×

Sex on Fire

Doddy

Easy. Get the drummer to start then once he has sorted out the beat (can take a while) bass and guitar come in together. Simpiles!

You can slag the song off all ya like, I don`t even like it myself but the punters love it in the 2nd set when they are all rat@rsed!. It`s the entertainment biz.

Jez

Well we like KoL :rolleyes:

[quote name='davidmpires' post='601144' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:08 AM']We do play Mr Brightside as well and for me is the same as SOF, Use Somebody, Dakota, I Predict a Riot, All these things I've done. They are all rock crowd pleasers. No more no less. That does not mean they are bad songs, they may be annoying because you hear them so many times, but they are not bad songs at all.[/quote]

All get my vote for a great night out listening to a covers band :)

[quote name='Les' post='601203' date='Sep 17 2009, 12:16 PM']Glad thats settled. It's the bloody drummer, isn't it ?[/quote]

Our drummer nails it spot on every time, guitarist invariably cocks up the intro, singer generally forgets when the chorus changes back to verse, so it almost always goes in the second set when everyone's too p*ssed to notice :)
It's OK, not my favourite, but definately a crowd-pleaser

Damn, Michael McIntyre can sing!

To be honest, I'd much rather play this as a closing song instead of Hi-f'ing-Ho f'ing Silver f'ing Lining, which is what I currently get the honour of trying not to have a psychotic break through.

Ug. Count thy blessings, those that may play KoL.

Edited by trent900

[quote name='cheddatom' post='601128' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:55 AM']Probably because they get played so f*cking often on the radio, TV, tv adverts, idiots in the pub etc etc. It gets annoying hearing the same thing over and over, especially if it's a "catchy" tune.

Personally, I heard it the first time and thought "that's another catchy tune form them, nice one". Now I can't stand it.

Every band in the world were amazing for their first 1 or 2 albums and then "sold out" or "turned commercial" or just basically got too trendy for people who consider themselves "alternative".[/quote]
I bring your attention to a certain Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
Throbbing Gristle.
The Stranglers.

[quote name='witterth' post='601501' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:46 PM']"Sex on Fire" eh?.... well now.. take 3 of these a day with food, apply some cansten cream, avoid alcohol during the course of the tablets, and see me again if it hasn't cleared up in three weeks...NEXT!.....
(the Doctor is, IN. )[/quote]Superb

[quote name='witterth' post='601501' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:46 PM']"Sex on Fire" eh?.... well now.. take 3 of these a day with food, apply some cansten cream, avoid alcohol during the course of the tablets, and see me again if it hasn't cleared up in three weeks...NEXT!.....
(the Doctor is, IN. )[/quote]

Shouldn't that song be 'Todger On Fire'? Not that I know, of course <ahem>...

[quote name='steve-soar' post='601580' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:02 PM']I bring your attention to a certain Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
Throbbing Gristle.
The Stranglers.[/quote]

...and lets not forget the Clash...ermm, actually lets forget the Clash :)

...as for Kings of Leon? well there's a lot worse out there.

[quote name='eightball' post='601537' date='Sep 17 2009, 06:19 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6oIkgI69gE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6oIkgI69gE[/url]

makes me laugh everytime...

...oh, and if you've never seen this, it's all you'll think of when you hear it from now on.

sorry :)[/quote]

Ha ha that was good ..

Reminds me of the old joke:
"Do you smoke after intercourse?"
"Never looked"

[quote name='Les' post='601203' date='Sep 17 2009, 12:16 PM']Glad thats settled. It's the bloody drummer, isn't it ?[/quote]

I'm not sure that it is. The guitar seems to be playing the first beat freely with 2,3 and 4 on the beat. Its then up to the drummer to come in strongly where the first bead 'should' be and hold the beat. The guitar is then shifting around the beat quite a bit. I think (without playing it) that the drummer might be getting confused by thinking the guitar is playing in time on that first beat, and the guitarist then thinking the drummer is comming in late and out of time. This is another song all about feel. You can either play it or you can't.

I HATE songs where people go mad and jump around like lunatics, I played in enough metal bands to be bored by the whole thing. All that happens is all my gear gets covered with beer. I prefer playing strong dance tunes that fill the floor and have everybody dancing rather than rioting.

We have a similar intro problem with Car Wash and the claps, which are on the off beat, but seem to mark out the beat. Confuses the drummer nicely. We count him in when were bored with the clapping.

The best bit of that song for me is the chap taking a big bite off a KFC chicken drumstick in the video. (2 mins 43)
"Hey baby, you wanna make wild firey sex with me tonight?"
"Not tonight love, I got a Bargain Bucket here"

Edited by NickH

[quote name='eightball' post='601537' date='Sep 17 2009, 06:19 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6oIkgI69gE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6oIkgI69gE[/url]

makes me laugh everytime...

...oh, and if you've never seen this, it's all you'll think of when you hear it from now on.

sorry :)[/quote]

Peaked at 0:15.

S.P.

[quote name='RhysP' post='601112' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:44 AM']That's why I could never play in a covers band. I could never play something I really don't like just because a bunch of gurning pissheads like to jump around to it. I'd rather play music I enjoy to an empty room.[/quote]

True but for every Mr Brightside there is a People are strange, Love me Two Times, KoL, Thin Lizzy, Ozzy Ozzborne, ZZ top tune I love to play.

I dislike the song but if people are enjoying it I am doing my job and that cheers me up. Then we get to bust out some Florence and the Machine just to mess with them.